Squat depth

Options
llfretwell
llfretwell Posts: 218 Member
Squats. I'm trying to squat deep but I'm not sure if I'm going deep enough. Are my legs REQUIRED to be parallel with the floor? I'm not quite there yet. Should I keep increasing the weight even though my legs aren't parallel with the floor or should I stay at a certain weight until I achieve that?

Replies

• husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Make sure your low back isn't rounding at the bottom if you try to go deep. I had a personal trainer raise my squat depth up because of "butt wink", even at low weights. I can still feel it in my glutes if my stance is wide enough and I think about lifting with them. I also do other exercises to make sure I'm hitting the hammies and glutes.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Not squatting to parallel or slightly below puts you at greater risk of injury. It is not recommended to increase weight until you get your form down as the added weight increases your chance of injury even more.

Are you having problems with the mechanics of the squat or mobility issues? Or other issue that is causing you to not hit parallel?
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    You really should try to work on depth. Try box squats and play with your stance a bit before you increase too much.

I wouldn't go up in weight if your flexibility isn't quite there yet - might as well do squats for all that they're worth, and half squats work pretty much just the quads (and are not all that great for knees)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    You should be hitting AT LEAST parallel, but ideally you want your hip joints to break past parallel of your knee joints. Quarter and half squats are worse on your knees and ankles than full squats.

If you can't do this with the weight you currently have, you'll need to drop your weight. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT! I recently dropped my weight from 175 pounds to 115 to correct my form. I too wasn't breaking parallel. Since I've fixed my form, my glutes have really gotten strong and grown (squat booty for the win!).
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    If you have problems with hip flexibility (as I do) try third world squats and Joe DeFranco's Limber 11.
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Squat depth is so big for me. I squat deep but I've come to realize I have a definite butt wink. Uh oh! Obviously, I should work on flexibility and lower the weight, right? I've been doing 5x5 for about 7 months now. Squat has been stuck around 115-125lbs since September, deadlift is only going up and I just did 210lbs on Monday; I'm loving this program but I'm noticing I want to be more exact with my technique. I'm also trying to help some mom friends start the program so I want to be able to talk about the form well too!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    The crease of your hip should be at or below the top of the knee.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    I've been wondering about this too. What if you're really close to parallel but not quite there? Still deload or just maintain weight and keep working on depth?
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Swoon at SS's arms lol

Ahem, sorry carry on
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    psych101 wrote: »
    Swoon at SS's arms lol

Ahem, sorry carry on

Oh, I see how you are. A tiny dose of testosterone and you're all *swoooooon* :)
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Hahaha given my status update today I can see that conclusion being drawn lol

But seriously - look at them!! Look at theeeeeeeem!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Wish gym had a mirror to the side of the cage that had easy access... And that is the first time I've wished for a mirror of any type. hmmm interesting.

Oh and *looks*

Had to refer to the gay boys in my head to validate though on the arm viewing. :wink:
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    psych101 wrote: »
    But seriously - look at them!! Look at theeeeeeeem!

"so there was this guy in this thread . . ." ;)

@llfretwell, my muggle's way of explaining the thing to myself is that squats are stronger when you 'load' your hamstrings, i.e. stretch them out tight enough that they actually want to re-shorten themselves and push you upright again. and from my best guess about how anatomy works, that doesn't really happen until/unless your hip crease gets low enough relative to your knees. credit to mark rippetoe for turning this lightbulb on in my head after SIX MONTHS of me hearing the words used and just not getting it in actual practical terms.

prior to that parallel point, your hamstrings aren't taking full part in the equation so more of the weight and more of the work has to be done by your quads. and about my own experience of how that worked out for my knees: what krok said. at least one quad muscle crosses all the way over your kneecap, so stretching that muscle tight and then shortening it again means you're squooshing your kneecaps against the cartilage/bone underneath with every rep - and the force is worse every time you add 5 more pounds to your load.

whereas hamstrings don't go anywhere near your kneecap and so it's much more comfortable to let them do much more of the work. it's just mechanically more possible to let them get in on the act if you get low.

• llfretwell
    Options
    Thank ya'll so very much for all of the advice. I think I'll watch some videos on form. My husband lifts also and has been encouraging me to watch them.

With that being said, I think I'll go ahead and deload today to work on it. So... how should I do that? Right now I'm only squatting at 100 lbs. (I've only been doing SL for a month). How much lower should I go with the weight and do I have to decrease gradually?
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    llfretwell wrote: »
    Thank ya'll so very much for all of the advice. I think I'll watch some videos on form. My husband lifts also and has been encouraging me to watch them.

With that being said, I think I'll go ahead and deload today to work on it. So... how should I do that? Right now I'm only squatting at 100 lbs. (I've only been doing SL for a month). How much lower should I go with the weight and do I have to decrease gradually?

How much lower you go on the weight depends on you. Pick a weight that is "easy" to squat so you can move it fairly easily with proper form. (When I deloaded, I went from 175 pounds to 115 pounds because I knew 115 would be easy for me after working with much higher weights.) You may be able to drop from 100 to around 65 as a re-start weight. If that is still too heavy, nothing wrong with dropping more. Make sure (either via video or with a spotter) that you have proper form at whatever weight you decide to restart at, if you don't then you'll want to drop a bit more (if possible).

You can also start your set today with nothing (just do some air squats) to check your form. You'll want to watch from the side so you can see how low you get to make sure you are able to get past parallel.

I didn't decrease gradually (went from 175 one day to 115 the next lifting day). It hasn't hurt my progress since.
  • krokador
    Options
    llfretwell wrote: »

Do some box squats with bodyweight only. If you can't reach a knee high box that way, stick to that until you can. Maybe find a higher bench and work on reaching it, then work your way down. (try not to sit on the box but just touch your butt. You want to practice staying tight all the way through even. This is not box squats where you try to generate all the power from a prone sitting position, you're just using a guide to know you've reached depth)

If you don't have access to boxes, most benches will do. My gym also has some big medicine balls which are a pretty good size for that too, so you can look around and be creative :)

If you got this with bodyweight, try 45 (the bar) for a set of 5. If you can still reach the box, jump up by 10lbs until your form breaks down. Then scale back to the previous weight and work your way back up from there for the following workouts. If you struggle with 45, stay there and use the lowering box trick and make sure your form is tight until you have it down pat.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Is butt wink when you arch your back?
  • krokador
    Options
    Is butt wink when you arch your back?

Butt wink is actually when your tailbone tucks under as you reach a certain depth, which leads to lower back rounding, actually. I like this picture to show it:

butt-wink.jpg

http://deansomerset.com/butt-wink-aout-hamstrings/
  • llfretwell
    Options
    Xcalygrl, thank you! I will play around with the weight today to see what works for me.

Krokador, what a good idea! I have never heard of doing that. My husband and I lift at home, but I'll see today if our bench is a good height to do box squats. If not, I'll try to find something else. Thank you for that idea!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    So how does one work on getting rid of butt wink (LOL)? Is it a flexibility issue or an anatomy issue? In other words... can it be fixed? I think I do this, and I know I'm not very flexible.

(Now I see the box squats mentioned above). Another question... if you stick your butt out really far to prevent butt wink, isn't that arching your back in the other direction? Is that safe? I find it makes my back very sore (my spine).