Squat depth

Options

Replies

• MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Thanks for Googling that for me :blush: I don't think I do that but will make sure today.
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    So how does one work on getting rid of butt wink (LOL)? Is it a flexibility issue or an anatomy issue? In other words... can it be fixed? I think I do this, and I know I'm not very flexible.

This is one of my questions as well, how to fix it! (I clearly don't know how to quote properly)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    So how does one work on getting rid of butt wink (LOL)? Is it a flexibility issue or an anatomy issue? In other words... can it be fixed? I think I do this, and I know I'm not very flexible.

(Now I see the box squats mentioned above). Another question... if you stick your butt out really far to prevent butt wink, isn't that arching your back in the other direction? Is that safe? I find it makes my back very sore (my spine).

Oh and to clarify, I watched form videos so I know I should keep my upper back tight, chest out, head looking ahead, break at the knees first and push knees out, toes turned out a bit. But I can still feel a bit o' butt wink.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

This is one of my questions as well, how to fix it! (I clearly don't know how to quote properly)

I think the MFP forums are tricky when it comes to quotes too as I just had to edit MY post as well! And I thought I was tech savvy! :P

The article I linked below the picture seemed to address it pretty well (here it is again: http://deansomerset.com/butt-wink-aout-hamstrings/), there are many other really good sources out there you can google, but the bottom line tends to be
    1- Work on mobility
    2- Play around with stance/bar position to feel your anatomical advantages
    3- Work on core stability and strength
    4- Some people just aren't meant to squat ATG, but everyone should be able to hit parallel
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    In addition to mobility sometimes butt wink is caused by underactive or weak hamstrings.
  • Fittreelol
    Options
    I forgot to say one would typically only squat a ATG if they are high bar or front squatting. With a typical low bar stance you would ideally squat below parallel, but not ATG as you're sticking your butt back not dropping straight down. What do I know though I'm just a meathead.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Fittreelol wrote: »
    I forgot to say one would typically only squat a ATG if they are high bar or front squatting. With a typical low bar stance you would ideally squat below parallel, but not ATG as you're sticking your butt back not dropping straight down. What do I know though I'm just a meathead.
    Yes, but you're my favorite meathead!
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    krokador wrote: »

I think the MFP forums are tricky when it comes to quotes too as I just had to edit MY post as well! And I thought I was tech savvy! :P

The article I linked below the picture seemed to address it pretty well (here it is again: http://deansomerset.com/butt-wink-aout-hamstrings/), there are many other really good sources out there you can google, but the bottom line tends to be
    1- Work on mobility
    2- Play around with stance/bar position to feel your anatomical advantages
    3- Work on core stability and strength
    4- Some people just aren't meant to squat ATG, but everyone should be able to hit parallel

Bwahahah I definitely meant "squat" not "quote".

I guess it's time to actually start stretching. Hopefully I do it for more than 2 days this time around...
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This was part of my check-in today, but I think it makes more sense to throw it out to all ya'll here:

I think I had a bit of an epiphany with squat form today. I think my lower leg (tibia, fibia, etc.) might literally be too short for me to actually get parallel / below parallel in my squats -- at least for a very, very long time. I was doing some bodyweight squats while looking in the mirror, and honest to god, my thigh crease area doesn't get below parallel to my knees until I am in the *kitten*-to-grass position.

And then I got to thinking -- I have to stack *three* 25 lbs. plates under each foot when I bench because my legs are so short that when I lay back on the bench, I can't put my feet flat on the ground. Like, not even close!

So, obviously, I have to do some interwebs searching to find out more about if other people have this problem and how they might deal with this, but in the meantime, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

Is having Shorty McShortster legs even a thing that could prevent me from parallel-ing?
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Not sure but that's kind of interesting. I don't even use plates on bench and I'm short in general. I have a coworker who is super tall but she doesn't have much of a range of motion. I showed her squat and she couldn't even do a half squat. But she can reach way higher than I can ever.

I'm still working on the depth but feeling not too bad, even with my short legs. Though I've watched some tall guys do front and back squats and wow, some of them can get really low.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    @Crabada my PT taught me to just bench with my feet up on the bench since they don't reach the floor. Have you tried that?
  • Fittreelol
    Options
    Crabada you should video!
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    This was part of my check-in today, but I think it makes more sense to throw it out to all ya'll here:

Is having Shorty McShortster legs even a thing that could prevent me from parallel-ing?

I found this while looking around. The article discusses femur length but it is possible that femur/tibia ratio may also be an important factor.

schwarzenegger.com/fitness/post/picking-the-squat-thats-rght-for-you
  • krokador
    Options
    threnjen wrote: »
    @Crabada my PT taught me to just bench with my feet up on the bench since they don't reach the floor. Have you tried that?

Aww, but that takes away from the leg drive you could have with a nice arch in your back and feet on the floor! (No, seriously. Feet on the bench is nicer on the lower back, but it takes away some of your stability. If you can reach the floor and don't have lower back issues, you might gain 5lbs just by putting them on the ground. Serious!

Being short shouldn't make it "that" much harder to squat to depth. It gives you a lower center of gravity advantage, which means you're more stable and all!

Try a lil something-something here. Get into a door frame sideways (or in front of something you can hold on to) and assume your normal squat stance. Sit back and sink to the bottom without minding the feet/ankles (if you have to come up on your tippy toes, doooo eeet!) or whether your knees get past dem toes, or the butt wink for that matter. Flat back? Don't care.

From that huddled up position, grab onto your pillar and try to move your weight back to your heels slowly without unbending the knees.

Can you get your feet flat at all? If you can, can you straighten out your back (keep holding on). Activate your glutes? Push your knees out?

If you can't, does it help to widen or narrow your stance up? Feet straight forward, way out, backwards (ok, not srs)? Play around with it. Chances are you might find whatever is limiting your depth down there eventually. Could be tight ankles. Stance. Body (yes, some fat can get in the way, sometimes. Although I doubt that would be your case). Balance (if you can get in a nice position while holding on, then you need to work on sitting in that position and letting go of your anchor point).

Obviously you don't need to squat all the way to that huddled up position with a bar on your back (please don't), and it won't translate directly to an actual squat, but assessing what you can and can't do can't hurt! :3
  • VeryKatie
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Curious, have any of you ever had a stranger video you with your phone while at the gym? I'd like to know what my squat looks like but I go alone. And I figure a squat without the bar wouldn't be the same if I had my fiancé do it at home...
  • krokador
    Options
    Curious, have any of you ever had a stranger video you with your phone while at the gym? I'd like to know what my squat looks like but I go alone. And I figure a squat without the bar wouldn't be the same if I had my fiancé do it at home...

Done it, usually try to be subtle and not video anyone else so they don't complain or, y'know, punch me lol. The angles can be bad and my camera app keeps crashing but it works. You still *might* wanna ask front desk to see if they have anything against it.

@crabada
    Also forgot to say earlier: "hip crease" height can be really hard to judge by yourself even with a mirror. Use a box just below knee height. If your butt touches it, your depth is very likely to be fine
  • Fittreelol
    Options
    I video myself using a shoe as a tripod on a plyo box. Strangers have offered, but they never get what I want in the shot.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Is your lower leg short in relation to your upper leg (as in imbalanced)? I would think short legs overall shouldn't affect your ability to squat but perhaps it might make it difficult if part of your leg is unusually short.
  • CHSegl
    CHSegl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was squatting over 200# and patting myself on the back when... husband finally convinced me by videoing my form. Let's just say it was horrible. We used the side safety bars as a reference point, and I went down to about 75# and worked my form till it was right. Watched lots of videos on "how to" and learned to feel my way down and up til it was second nature. Foot placement, flat shoes and bar position made huge differences for me. In the interim, I tore a hamstring and husband quit going to the gym for several months. So it took a while to get this back on track.... but DO IT. Boy, what a difference. Now I get the full benefit of my squats, and am back up to 120#.

Maybe there's a PT at the gym who would help you video properly? Use your phone and they can't really complain much.

Also, I tried box squats when I was on my own working on form. I ended up using an upturned empty small plastic trash can, but I still found it very distracting to have that object behind me. (I cannot imagine what would happen trying to use an exercise ball. Our gym floor isn't totally level, and it would leave the cage to wander about ...) My solution was to rig up a belt out of soft rope, and put a marker on the end when I was low enough- used a small wood ball with a center hole, I think. I could let the belt hang in front, and feel when the marker hit the floor to know I'd gone low enough. Looked goofy, but it was effective.