2105 Swim Goals

Options
NoelFigart1
NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
Does anyone have any swimming-specific goals this year?

Mine are:
  • Bring my mile down to 40 minutes in the pool.
  • Complete Son of a Swim at Lake Memphremagog
  • Swim from King Neptune's statue to the 14th St Pier in VA Beach a couple of times over the family vacation
  • Swim the Boston Sharkfest
  • If I do REALLY well, swim 300 miles this year. (That may be more of a pipe dream, though, slow as I am)

Anyone else? (Can be anything from completing a length freestyle to swimming the Ocean's Seven. What are YOU aiming for?)

Replies

• 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Great goals Noel - mine are:

" Swim 200m butterfly nonstop (this might be beyond me...)
    " Build up to a five stroke breathe for crawl
    " Swim 5km in 1 hour and 40 mins
    * Finally do some wild swimming somewhere!

• AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If I can get my average speed over 2.5 - 3km down to 1:40 per 100m or faster, by the end of 2015, I would be very pleased!
    This would necessitate my 2.5 km time moving from the current 54ish min to 41ish minutes. It's an audacious goal, but even just reaching for it, means ill hopefully improve significantly, even if I don't hit that specific goal!
    Can only hope, pray, and train relentlessly!
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'd like to do 1k in under 30. (Best so far 36)

Build up to 1.5km or a mile at least once every month.

Have a successful evening swim.

Thinking on this actually these are not so much 'swimming goals' as 'back to having a healthy/functioning body' again and being ready to 'go back to work' ... I think I am telling myself if I do a decent swim in a lunchtime slot in future I'll be able to keep healthy, and I can tell a potential future employer 'of course I am well again - I regularly swim a mile'. And evening swimming is about having a body that is well enough to be active all day long, as well as keeping swimming if lunch swimming does not work out. Mmmmm. Sensibly, I am not setting a timescale for my aspirations, just observing progress. But I do know my swimming is helping me get better.

So I think on reflection I need some goals that are more about swimming! Thanks very much for making me think this through.

Ok - here goes: 2 goals for 2 different types of swimming fun:

50m of butterfly. (I can just about do a 25m stretch now - on a good day, with the wind in the right direction..)

Get a waterproof iPod type thing and a finger counter thingy, so I can zone out to the Archers Omnibus. (And hence build up to swim for an hour, non Brits).
  • bama6977
    bama6977 Posts: 71 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Wow, all of your goals....I'm impressed and when I read them I feel like a log in the pool.
    For me, 3-4 days a week 30-45 minutes each morning....pushing heart rate. Add fins for extra leg work for some of the laps. On days off 5x5 at the gym.
  • bama6977
    Options
    Oh by the way, I think Noel is part fish :)
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I joined the '100 Mile Swim Club' at my gym. So I have a goal of swimming at least 100 miles in 2015.

My big goal right now is to keep swimming as often as I can until I'm due and to get back into swimming as soon as I get cleared for exercise after the baby.

I will update my goals to more specific things after that is over. I'd like to work on my technique and decrease my lap time. I hope to join a Masters team in 2016.
  • newoutlook2014
    newoutlook2014 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm a weak swimmer but swimming is the only kind of exercise I can do due to leg issues. Fortunately, I LOVE being in the water, so I've decided to set a swimming goal that will both push me physically and mentally and be a useful life skill.

I currently cannot swim one length of the pool (25 metres) without stopping at least once. So my goal is to swim 12 lengths non stop by Easter. That's 12 weeks to swim 12 lengths.

Looking forward to sharing my progress here. :)
  • newoutlook2014
    Options
    :\ jeepers... I'm impressed with some of these goals. I feel like a kindergartner trying to hang out in the playground with high school kids
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    @newoutlook2014 When I started swimming for exercise, I couldn't make it very far or very long, either (I remember being excited at hitting 400 yards). You are going to be very surprised at how swiftly you hit your goal, no kidding.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Hey, a swim group! Swim people are the best people.

@newoutlook2014, my fiance is taking swim lessons for the first time ever this year! I will challenge him to race you to 12 laps. :)

My big goal is to get over myself already and start open-water swimming so I can do real triathlons instead of the baby ones at the Y. More immediately, I'd like to work up to a straight 100yd fly--no resting on the walls, maintaining good form throughout.
  • newoutlook2014
    Options
    Hey, a swim group! Swim people are the best people.

@newoutlook2014, my fiance is taking swim lessons for the first time ever this year! I will challenge him to race you to 12 laps. :)

My big goal is to get over myself already and start open-water swimming so I can do real triathlons instead of the baby ones at the Y. More immediately, I'd like to work up to a straight 100yd fly--no resting on the walls, maintaining good form throughout.

oh, it's on!!! :p

• debbiesats
    debbiesats Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Great goals all round :)
    This year's goal for me is to do a longer distance open water swim. First thought was the 5k lap of Buttermere, doable after the Ullswater 3.8k in 1hr22 last summer.
    But now some triathlete friends are talking about arranging an end to end of Coniston - 5 miles - very tempted but will be a challenge and take some serious planning and negotiation to find the training time!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Anticipating and then making the visit to my local indoor swimpools pose a real emotional hurdle for me. But I do recognise the need for me to put in some training laps in safety so that I can enjoy the vast ocean swims more efficiently and safely.
    - so my 2015 goal is to commit to regular visits to the pool, especially through the winter months, so that I can enjoy open water swimming more when summer comes around again.
  • logan_t
    logan_t Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Some really neat goals in here.

I'm doing the Twin Cities Open Water Half Marathon Series up here this summer. Really excited for my first 5 mile swim. I'm also going to be looking for a way to do a 2 hour cold water checkout swim, because a friend wants to get an English Channel relay together.

My old college's alumni meet is coming up as well. I just don't want to get beaten by EVERY current student. Not sure if that's too much to ask!

Good luck, everyone!
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    My swim goal for the year is to swim 365 miles.
    To date I am: 8/365
  • bama6977
    Options
    Bruceapple wrote: »
    My swim goal for the year is to swim 365 miles.
    To date I am: 8/365

Now I like that:)
  • rivkahala
    rivkahala Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    10 laps crawl without switching to breaststroke
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Bruceapple - I think I will join you on this one - currently at 12.17/365
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    rivkahala wrote: »
    10 laps crawl without switching to breaststroke

I share your goal this year. Breastroke is fine but I tend to go anaerobic after 4 lengths with crawl.

• Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Panda I am at 14/365 as of today