2105 Swim Goals

Options

Replies

• cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    if i am still alive in 2105, i promise to return to pool!

realistically for 2015, would just like to get medical clearance to return to our chlorine infused world.
    should know more by thursday.
  • newoutlook2014
    newoutlook2014 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    cw106 wrote: »
    if i am still alive in 2105, i promise to return to pool!

realistically for 2015, would just like to get medical clearance to return to our chlorine infused world.
    should know more by thursday.

LOL good spotting! I didn't even see that and it's my job to spot errors like that! ;)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    900 miles for the year. Didn't quite make that last year due to two China trips that were a 4 and 5 weeks long. :)
    No goals for competition. Too old and slow for that.
    But I do want to do another in pool 10K. Haven't done one in a while.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    rivkahala wrote: »
    10 laps crawl without switching to breaststroke
    One lap at a time. You'll get there. :)
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    If I can get my average speed over 2.5 - 3km down to 1:40 per 100m or faster, by the end of 2015, I would be very pleased!
    This would necessitate my 2.5 km time moving from the current 54ish min to 41ish minutes. It's an audacious goal, but even just reaching for it, means ill hopefully improve significantly, even if I don't hit that specific goal!
    Can only hope, pray, and train relentlessly!
    I'd be ecstatic if I hit 1:40 per 100 :smiley: Good luck hitting that goal.
    I'd be happy if I got my 5km (110 laps in 25 yd pool) morning swim down to 90 minutes. Right now I'm happy if I get it done in 108 or less. Clock time not stop watch time. I don't stop time for the water sip stop every 20 laps. I just go by the swim clock on the wall and try to shave seconds off each lap from a 1 minute per lap baseline.
  • SwimtotheEnd
    SwimtotheEnd Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Swim goals this year (may be achieved, may not, I achieved all mine last year):

Swim thru all winter in budgy smugglers
    Break 14m 20s for 1km
    Complete the 8hr cold water swim again
    Find a new significant swimming goal for 2016

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I was gonna suggest the English Channel, but I see you did that already. Catalina?

So... what the heck are budgy smugglers?
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    900 miles for the year. Didn't quite make that last year due to two China trips that were a 4 and 5 weeks long.

Bows head in Humble Humility.
    I managed 118 km last year - 9 Months of Swimming.
    At my local Pool the High Km swimmer had about 460 km ( = 286 Miles )
    So this year my Goal will be 200 km = 125 Miles.
    It could be a bit of a stretch Swimming 3/4 times a week - Running 1/2 times a week - Weight Lifting 1/2 times a week. and then some personal time.
  • newoutlook2014
    newoutlook2014 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was gonna suggest the English Channel, but I see you did that already. Catalina?

So... what the heck are budgy smugglers?

speedos ;)
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Wow.
    Great to see everyone's goals!
    Swimtotheend that is some serious speed!
    Fishgutzy and CW106 welcome back - it's been awhile, especially fishgutzy!
    great to see all the new faces on here too!
    :smile:
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'd like to swim 80 miles (basically maintaining what I did last year). But I want to start swimming longer sessions. And go 1.5 miles at least once a month. And take some lessons with a coach, so I can drop some time off my stroke (especially since I have a half-mile open water swim planned in September, and would like to beat my time of last year -- 20:40.)
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My 2015 swim goals are to attend as many as Master Swim sessions as possible. No excuses for being tired.
    I also was to have a decent time for my 2.1km swim in July. I did it last year, but there was a freak underwater current so I cant even say I want to beat my time since I completed a 3.1km swim faster then the 2.1km. I would also love to find a few more open water events to do.
    Also just in general keep improving my stroke technique and speed. I want to get out of the slow lane in my masters group.
    ETA: Slow is relative to the other swimmers. I have decent speeds (25 free-22 sec average) but the others are faster
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    YTD swim goal = 22 / 365 miles
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    900 miles for the year. Didn't quite make that last year due to two China trips that were a 4 and 5 weeks long.

It could be a bit of a stretch Swimming 3/4 times a week - Running 1/2 times a week - Weight Lifting 1/2 times a week. and then some personal time.

I spent about a decade doing just a mile but not very often. For me, it was when I tipped over 300# that I started pushing myself further. I don't have the luxury of doing cardio that impacts my feet. So I swim. To me it is no more noteworthy that someone that runs 5 or 10KM a day.
    My "motto" if I have one is adapt or get fat. :smiley:
    Now I usually swim 5km a day at least 5 days a week. Up to 7 days. Fortunately I love swimming and don't get bored by it. I find it rather like a 1:50 minute meditation session :)
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    I find it rather like a 1:50 minute meditation session :)

Man, you are so right. There is nothing like a good long swimming session to be able to relax and think.

I get my best ideas and do my best writing staring at that black line!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    I love the variety of abilities and goals here. I would never post my goals (didn't really think about them until this was posted) but you are the most encouraging and supportive group, really.

I'd LOVE to be able to swim 10 laps freestyle without stopping, but I realize that it means pushing MYSELF to do that since I don't have a swim buddy. I expected to be progressing faster by now, but I guess I'm happy to get those good swims in.

Get to the pool and do laps a minimum of 3x a week, preferably 5.
    Be able to just swim. Not have to spend each workout focusing on technique, but sometimes just get into that swim zone that everybody around me seems to be in.

~Curly
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    Curly, if you look at the zoned-out swimmers and see a pull-buoy or kickboard at the end of the lane, they're not really zoning all that much. They do a lot of drills to get that seemingly effortless style.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »

I spent about a decade doing just a mile but not very often. For me, it was when I tipped over 300# that I started pushing myself further. I don't have the luxury of doing cardio that impacts my feet. So I swim. To me it is no more noteworthy that someone that runs 5 or 10KM a day.
    My "motto" if I have one is adapt or get fat. :smiley:
    Now I usually swim 5km a day at least 5 days a week. Up to 7 days. Fortunately I love swimming and don't get bored by it. I find it rather like a 1:50 minute meditation session :)

Fishgutzy just for the record, you and Macstraw were my inspiration for my 10 km swim!
    Thanks guys!
  • iheartdinosaurs
    iheartdinosaurs Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    No pool access where I live (rural Ethiopia) but my goal for when I move back to the US this summer is to join a USMS team to 1) remember how to swim and 2) eventually compete again (was competitive/club swimmer through high school, but it's been 10 years since that.)

I've probably swum laps fewer than 10 times since my sprint triathlon in 2012, and I've already decided that its definitely time for me to get back into a pool. As soon as possible.

Love all of the enthusiasm I'm seeing in this thread - definitely getting me more and more excited to be swimming again!
  • fishgutzy
    Options

Fishgutzy just for the record, you and Macstraw were my inspiration for my 10 km swim!
    Thanks guys!

That is pretty cool. Mine took me 3 hours and 54 minutes. I'll be happy if My next one comes in under 3:50. :) About 2x competitive time.