mygnsac
mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
Got any recipes you want to share?

Replies

• mygnsac
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This is one of my favorite quick and easy recipes from Lynn Matava (The Country Tart):

ho3hxycjvvba.jpg

Courgettes et Tomates

Ingredients:
    • 5 ounces freshly grated zucchini (approx 1 cup)
    • 5 ounces fresh tomato, chopped (1 med tomato)
    • 1/4 cup quinoa flakes
    • 1 tablespoon freshly chopped thyme
    • 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
    • 1 tablespoon water
    • pinch crushed red pepper
    • pinch kosher or sea salt

Directions:
    1. In microwave safe dish combine all ingredients except cheese.
    2. Sprinkle cheese on top.
    3. Microwave on High for 2 ½ - 3 minutes or until heated through and bubbly. Bake in oven if you don't use a microwave.

Makes one serving. 194 calories; 4.8 g total fat; 280 mg sodium; 8 g sugar; 11 g protein

0qo45klmaf04.jpg

I will sometimes add other stuff to it, like a grated carrot, some chopped turkey, shredded brussel sprouts, raisins, pepita seeds, brocolli, etc.

• mygnsac
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Another one from Lynn Matava. A great snack alternative:

Roasted Okra

Ingredients:
    • 16 oz bag sliced, frozen okra
    • 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
    • 1/2 - 1 teaspoon turmeric (or curry powder...I can't stand curry, so I go turmeric)
    • pinch sea salt

Directions:
    1. On baking sheet toss frozen okra with olive oil.
    2. Once coated, toss with turmeric and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt.
    3. Roast in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes* or until beginning to brown on the edges. Eat immediately.

*NOTE: This time can vary and may need to be in the oven for as long as 30-45 minutes, depending on the size of the pieces.

Makes one serving. 172 calories; 3.5 g total fat; 143 mg sodium; 5 g sugar; 9 g protein

nz9xbgw5qy0v.jpg
  • anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Wow, both of those look great and I will surely try them. I hae never seen quinoa flakes before though. Quinoa but not flakes, I didn't know there was such a thing. Are they precooked and then dehydrated? If so I can do that with my dehydrator.
  • mygnsac
    Options
    Wow, both of those look great and I will surely try them. I hae never seen quinoa flakes before though. Quinoa but not flakes, I didn't know there was such a thing. Are they precooked and then dehydrated? If so I can do that with my dehydrator.

I don't know about that. They are usually found in the section of the store with the hot cereals.

• anewstart22
    Options
    mygnsac wrote: »

I don't know about that. They are usually found in the section of the store with the hot cereals.

My curiosity "Piqued" I decided to look them up so here is what I found and I don't think i'll be making my own. :D

ehow.com/how_8324926_turn-quinoa-flakes.html
  • mygnsac
    Options

My curiosity "Piqued" I decided to look them up so here is what I found and I don't think i'll be making my own. :D

ehow.com/how_8324926_turn-quinoa-flakes.html

That was interesting. Thanks. Not something I'll be doing! ;)

• mygnsac
    Options
    I made a batch of these tonight and house smells sood good! These things will keep you full for hours. Portable oatmeal!

Pumpkin Banana Apple Oatmeal Protein Bars

Wet Ingredients:
    • 2 ripe (cheetah spotted) bananas
    • 4 large eggs
    • 1 1/2 cups milk
    • 1/4 cup plain yogurt
    • 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
    • 1 cup pureed pumpkin
    • 1 tsp vanilla

Dry Ingredients:
    • 2 cups old fashioned oats (don't use the quick oats)
    • 1/4 - 1/2 cup brown sugar (or whatever sweetener you like)
    • 2 tbs vanilla protein powder (optional)
    • 2 tbs ground flax seed
    • 1 tsp baking powder
    • 1 tsp apple pie or pumpkin spice
    • 1/4 tsp ground ginger

Add Ons (Add whatever you like. I used raisins and walnuts this time.):
    • 1/2 cup raisins
    • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (pecans are good too)

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    2. In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients and in another bow mix the wet ingredients.
    3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until mixed well.
    4. Stir in the add-ons.
    5. Spray a 9 x 11 baking dish and pour the batter into the dish.
    6. Bake on the middle rack in the oven for 50 minutes.
    7. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
    8. Cut into 8 large meal-size bars or 16 snack size bars.
    9. Wrap each bar in plastic wrap to have grab-and-go bars.
    10. Store in the refrigerator. The bars are good cold out of the fridge, at room temperature, or warmed up.

sow2pej9ounl.jpg
  • anewstart22
    Options
    Wow, your just moving right along, lol. If only I had time for recipes right now, lol. I will though.
  • mygnsac
    Options
    bump
  • mygnsac
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Someone posted this yummy looking salad out in the main forum...

Detox Salad

Ingredients
    • 2 broccoli crowns
    • 1 head cauliflower
    • 2-3 carrots
    • 1 small bunch kale (stems removed)
    • ½ cup parsley
    • ½ cup sunflower seeds
    • ½ cup almonds, chopped
    • 1 cup dried berries (cherries, cranberries, blueberries)
    • ½ cup raisins
    • Juice of one lemon
    • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (or other mild flavored vinegar)
    • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
    • Salt & pepper (to taste)

Directions
    1. Cut the broccoli and cauliflower into florets.
    2. Cut the carrots into large chunks.
    3. Roughly chop the kale.
    4. In a food processor fitted with a steel blade, process the broccoli, cauliflower, kale and parsley until fine and add them to a large mixing bowl. (It will probably take more than one batch)
    5. Process the carrots and add to the bowl.
    6. Stir to combine.
    7. Add the sunflower seeds, almonds, and dried fruit.
    8. Stir to combine.
    9. Add lemon juice, vinegar and syrup.
    10. Toss to coat.
    11. Taste, and add salt and/or pepper as needed.
    12. Keeps in fridge for several days.

87a7vvj93e3l.jpg

• anewstart22
    Options
    Looks good, thanks for posting that. Are you interested in a Turkey Burger Recipe?
  • mygnsac
    Options
    No, but others might be. Im not fond of ground turkey.
  • tlspindor
    tlspindor Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    WOW, I like the idea of the Pumpkin Banana Apple Oatmeal Protein Bars that looks yummy and this is one that I will have to save to check out later.

Thanks Marcie.
  • anewstart22
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sausage Stuffed Bell Peppers (serves 8)

5k8yvf4cmqvg.jpg

Ingredients

4 medium green bell peppers
    8 ounces ground pork sausage
    1 1/2 cups chopped onions
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1 1/2 cups cooked long-grain rice
    1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
    1/4 cup chopped green onions, green part only
    1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves
    2 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
    4 teaspoons unsalted butter

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Cut off the top quarter of each bell pepper and reserve. Scoop the seeds and veins out from the inside of each pepper and discard. Set bell pepper shells aside. Remove and discard the stems from each bell pepper top. Dice enough of the bell pepper tops to make 1/2 cup. Set aside.

In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, crumble and brown the sausage until cooked through, about 4 minutes.

Add the onions, 1/2 cup diced bell pepper, and the celery. Saute for 4 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.

Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.

Add the rice and mix well. Season with salt and pepper, cook for about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the green onions and parsley.

Spoon the rice mixture into the bell peppers.

In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs and cheese. Sprinkle the crust over each pepper.

Top each crust with 1 teaspoon of butter and place the peppers into an 8-inch baking dish or pan. Add just enough water to cover the bottom, about 1/3 cup. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the tops are crusty and brown and warmed through. Serve hot.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/sausage-stuffed-bell-peppers-recipe3.html?oc=linkback

Note(s): I use Italian sausage mild or hot depending on my mood.

I don't use emerils seasoning. The link above is to his original recipe, this is my changed recipe.

I also freeze the leftover baked peppers individually on a cookie sheet lined with foil and frozen solid. I then put them in a Ziplock bag side by side and place them flat in the freezer for later reheating in the oven.

To reheat from frozen preheat oven at 400 degrees

Place the amount you need on a foil lined baking sheet, cover and bake for 35-45 minutes or until hot inside. Sometimes it has taken 1 hour I guess that is the oven being finicky or something. You can remove the cover about the last 10 minutes to get the top brown and crispy again. Don't thaw it out, it will become soggy, always bake from frozen for best outcome.

Enjoy!
  • mygnsac
    Options
    ^^ Uh, yum! That looks so good!
  • anewstart22
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ^^ Uh, yum! That looks so good!

Oh it is sooo goooood! ;) Except that's my husbands plate, I use only 1 Tbsp Raspberry Vinaigrette on my salad.

• isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    These recipes sound awesome ladies! Thanks so much for sharing!
  • anewstart22
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I came across this recipe and I don't have a paninni maker I need to get one because my husband likes sandwiches grilled on a paninni grill. At first glance of the recipe I thought it was going to be a bad sandwich but I see it isn't so bad after all.

Here is the nutrition info for one whole sandwich with two pieces of bread. I see this would make a great snack if I shared it with my husband or just made half a sandwich.

Breakfast-Peanut Butter Panini with Banana and Pineapple, 1 serving(s)

Calories 349
    Carbs 59
    Fat 11
    Protein 8
    Sodium 231
    Sugar 26

Here is the link to the recipe and it won't let me copy the picture of the sandwich but you will see how delicious the sandwich looks.

bellahousewares.com/recipes/paninis/peanut-butter-panini-with-pineapple-and-banana

I think I am going to buy a paninni maker in the future.

• mygnsac
    Options
    I came across this recipe and I don't have a paninni maker I need to get one because my husband likes sandwiches grilled on a paninni grill. At first glance of the recipe I thought it was going to be a bad sandwich but I see it isn't so bad after all.

Here is the nutrition info for one whole sandwich with two pieces of bread. I see this would make a great snack if I shared it with my husband or just made half a sandwich.

Breakfast-Peanut Butter Panini with Banana and Pineapple, 1 serving(s)

Calories 349
    Carbs 59
    Fat 11
    Protein 8
    Sodium 231
    Sugar 26

Here is the link to the recipe and it won't let me copy the picture of the sandwich but you will see how delicious the sandwich looks.

bellahousewares.com/recipes/paninis/peanut-butter-panini-with-pineapple-and-banana

I think I am going to buy a paninni maker in the future.

Hmmm, I would have never thought to combine peanut butter with pineapple. Interesting.