June Chat Page

Options

Replies

• lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Last night I went to a fund raiser concert. The featured group was "1964 The Tribute". They played all Beatle songs from -what else- 1964.It was great fun seeing all the generations from little kids to seniors dancing, and oh my, all the mouths that could sing all the words.
  • Joe_Atlanta
    Joe_Atlanta Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My trio does a big mix of different types of music. Some folks love each type, but everybody loves the Beatles tunes.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @lintino--sounds like you had great fun at the concert with lots of good music. That's wonderful!

@Joe_Atlanta--I wish I lived somewhere in your area so I could come hear your trio. Although I play mostly music from the 40s & 50s on the piano and folk music on the 2 dulcimers, I love music of all kinds.
  • walkswithart
    walkswithart Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I can't believe that June is more than half over. I've definately been playing too much. I need to do some serious work if we are to get out on the boat in early July. I have been using sanding on the varnish as an exercise to firm up the arms. Lots of family visits, including to my husbands failing 94 yr old father. So sad to watch my husband hurting because he doesn't know how to help. But life is all about new experiences and they are not all pleasant. Gotta love life! And music helps!
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Hello Katie...welcome to the gang!

I am back...again...from my Bruce Springsteen concert weekend...he was wonderful as always....and standing dancing for over three hours seems to have kept me from gaining....... back to it now...been painting a ceiling today

Jean
  • jeanmrob
    Options
    Here's my "Me" pic for June...at Wembley Stadium last Saturday waiting for Bruce Springsteen......:heart::flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

992991_10200662721187935_1698793844_n.jpg
  • gramanana
    Options
    @jeanrob--MFP needs a '"like" button. Thanks for sharing your picture. Also glad you enjoyed the concert.
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Wow, Jeanrob!!! The Boss!! How fun!!!!
  • Joe_Atlanta
    Options
    nana -
    music from the 40s & 50s on the piano and folk music on the 2 dulcimers
    You would like the trio, most of our jazz is from 40s "big band era" or 50s "cool". We do some folk and much of our blues is of the "country/old time" variety. It's a fun group, 55-65 years old, all very good players. We do two gigs a week for fun (tips and food) and play what we want. New tunes we have added in the last couple of weeks: Shenandoah (traditional) as an instrumental, Can't Find My Way Home (Steve Winwood/Blind Faith), Bartender's Blues (James Taylor/George Jones) and two originals, one in the style of early Pat Metheney jazz ballad, the other a R&B tune in the Memphis/Stax Volt style (kinda like Walkin' The Dog).

jeanrob- Great pic and a very nice shirt! Kinda jealous, haven't seen Sprinsteen since the acoustic/solo tour.
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Joe_Atlanta,

My town has a Friday Night Live concert series each summer. You should contact them and see if they would hire you guys. The music you are doing sounds like some we would love to hear here. Of course you would have to travel out to Calif to play here though. LOL Think about it!
  • mindful53
    mindful53 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Looks like a friendly group here and since I just had my 60th birthday this year, I'll jump on in. It's always a little easier to travel the journey with friends and support. Though I've been with MFP for a while, I haven't really made much progress yet. Been through quite a bit of stress over the past 7 months, as my MIL was suffering from Pancreatic cancer. She moved in with us and stayed in our home until the end. Thankfully, she's now at peace, but I definitely soothed myself with food for quite a while there. Really need to get on program, so I'm trying to be more consistent about healthy, moderate, mindful eating.

Nice to see a few music lovers out there. I play flute -- strictly amateur, but I enjoy it. My husband (mandolin & occasionally fiddle) & I have fun jamming with friends (bluegrass) or just the 2 of us (Celtic, classical, whatever...). By way of introduction, I'm from NJ, vegetarian, work at a non-profit, and besides music, love birding and being outdoors, classic films and playing with our first grandchild, a little girl, 16 months old, and adorable (of course!). Good to meet you all!
  • jeanmrob
    Options
    Welcome Mindful...... sorry to hear of your sad news......

I play a little guitar and love music .... feel free to add me as a friend ...... lots of support here...:smile:

Jean
  • jeanmrob
    Options
    Hey Joe....... I have seen Bruce four times - but only in recent years....I would have loved to have seen those acoustic gigs...but have to say - I love him with the rocking E-Street Band ..... :bigsmile:

Jean
  • Joe_Atlanta
    Options
    CG - I'd love it. However, since I'm no longer at the age where we all pile in a van and drive across country to play a gig that barely covers gas money, I don't think it's gonna happen. OTOH, spending a few weeks driving around the west coast is definitely on my bucket list.

Mindful - That's really wonderful that you and your hubby can play music together. My wife didn't play an instrument as a kid and so far has not had the time or energy (or to be truthful, the drive) to learn one as an adult.

Jean - the acoustic show was great, really different but as good in it's own way as the show I saw when he was doing the Darkness On The Edge Of Town tour.
  • gramanana
    Options
    Love learning about all the people here who love music and play different instruments. My son plays the flute and we used to play together occasionally, me on the piano and him on the flute. I miss that. My husband plays the guitar and we go in spurts trying to play together, the main problem is with me--I don't seem to play well with others (lol). My 11 yr old grandson plays violin beautifully and his dad plays guitar and has started picking out tunes on the violin; I took my hammered dulcimer with when we visited recently and the SIL started picking out tunes on that--he is amazing. I really have to buckle down to practice so we can all jam together.

BTW, I'm in Illinois, gluten free and very little in the way of milk and yogurt because of food allergies.
  • mindful53
    Options
    Beautiful day, here in NJ. Got a chance to FINALLY visit my vegetable garden yesterday, after a whole week away from it. Life gets in the way sometimes. We have a plot in a local community garden -- it's our second year -- and I love it! OK, so I DO have problems with some cabbage worms that found our kale and Brussels sprouts, but the garden is mostly doing fine. It's great seeing the pole beans climbing the trellis my husband made, the fast-growing tomato plants, plenty of flowers on the zucchini, and all the other lovely veggies.

Nice to meet you, Jean -- what a warm welcome! I'm a fan of Bruce S. also and enjoy all kinds of music. Don't get out to hear any live very often, unfortunately. Nothing like a really good concert. Last year my husband and I went to performance of Crosby, Stills and Nash -- excellent! Of course, they'd all aged (haven't we all?), but you'd never know it by their sound. I'm still an old Hippie at heart, and they were one of my favorites. Really brought back some memories...

Joe - Too bad your wife hasn't tried learning an instrument...yet. ;-) Hey, I only picked up the flute as an adult. It's really not too late, if she has an interest. You never know. Mark and I love playing together (no off-color comments, please...). If any of our kids are around, they enjoy \jamming too. The eldest lives with his wife in California, and isn't often on the east coast. But our daughter, SIL and the baby are not all that far away in Massachusetts and our youngest son is living at home right now. All three "kids" play guitar.

Hello, gramanana -- Love your name! I became a brand new nana this year and have the time of my life whenever I see little Thea Rose. Our daughter, Anna, is coming with the baby for a long-weekend visit tomorrow night and I can't wait! Unfortunately, her husband can't join them this trip, but I know we'll have a great time. Sounds like you have a very musical family -- what fun! I don't practice enough either. This would be a good idea, both to have a better time jamming -- AND to keep from snacking! My daughter started eating gluten free recently. Not because of allergies, but as she felt it would be healthier and a good way to lose weight. Seems to be working so far -- as long as she sticks with it. We chat often and both have "food challenges" due to stress or social situations.
  • ppaolini4340
    Options
    Welcome Mindful53. I am in North Carolina and also love to garden. I am having a terrible time with blight on my fruit trees and it seems to be spreading to everything else. I have to spray every other week to get it under control. We have been having so much rain, nothing gets a chance to dry out. I have about 40 tomato plants, pole beans, peppers, beets, carrots, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, peas, lettuce, cabbage butternut squash. I think that is all. This year I am trying to convert to raised beds. The red clay of NC is not the best soil to grow thing in except weeds. It will probably take me a couple years to get it completely finished. Again, welcome to the chat. God Bless

Pam
  • mindful53
    Options
    Hey there, ppaolini4340 -- My husband and I have a connection to NC by virtue of the fact that he's in the wholesale furniture business (as was my dad, who passed on a few years ago). Mark goes down to High Point for the furniture show twice a year, sometimes more. I grew up knowing that if I answered the phone and heard a southern accent, it was probably someone from "the factory". ;-) Also, my husband and I vacationed a couple of times on the Outer Banks and loved it! We're talking about maybe renting a house there next year and trying to get the whole family to go down.

Sorry to hear about your blight problems. We've had quite a bit of rain too. My little garden is planted in 6 small raised beds -- just mounded earth though -- it isn't surrounded by boards as I've seen some gardeners do. Seems to work pretty well. I think our plot is smaller than yours -- only 10X15. My daughter and SIL, who are very much into organic gardening, gave me a few ideas for our cabbage worms -- diatomaceous earth powder, sprinkled around the base of the plants and a non-chemical spray called Safer Soap. I think they've helped "somewhat", but 2 of our Brussels sprout plants were basically destroyed. So frustrating! And speaking of gardening challenges, we have a little weekend place in NY state where my husband put in an orchard. Lots of hard work and SO much of the fruit is being lost to chipmunks and birds. We keep the deer out with fencing but those other critters are too small and tricky!

Shalom,
    Gail
  • walkswithart
    walkswithart Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Love heaing about the gardens and the music. And the babies. We have no children but I have 7 great grand nieces and nephews, my husband has 4. It is a joy to visit or see the little ones in pics & video. Some day I'll have a garden again. For now I'll just motor away on the boat as often as we can. Wishing you all a good weekend!
  • marise1113
    marise1113 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Happy summer......finally sunshine days for walking outside...this weather truly motivates me :glasses: