Water Cooler Chat

Options

Replies

• lmp379
    lmp379 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Monday night I taught kobudo! It was lots of fun to offer up my knowledge. Looking forward to doing it on a more regular basis.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I learn more when teach then I do as a student. I love teaching the youth class at our TKD school.
  • kellypence
    kellypence Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Class last night was kick drills and then learning the new form, Bassai. LOVE IT. And @Imp379 and @trackercasey76‌, I love teaching the lower belts, I find that I'm much pickier on myself afterwards, really helps me clean up my technique!
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Well my weight is slowly dropping. Down 16lbs so far. Still have 3-4 lbs to go by Wednesday. Competing the 21st but also injured my calf working takedowns 2 days ago. Man getting older and competing is not easy. Brazilian jiu jitsu is just so addicting that I have a hard time not training even while hurt. Oh well time to train for an hour and a half this morning too and back again tonight as well. Happy Friday!
  • victal
    victal Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I have had a terrible training session today, nothing has gone right, the kata's I have learnt and practised for years I couldn't get right, I was all over the place, not focused & wobbling about, doing kumite and walking into attacks, leaving myself open all the time when I was blocking kicks, I have no idea what's been up with me, I seem to do this about once every 6month, I come home feeling so deflated & feel like I've moved back 4/5 yrs of training
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    @rayfu75 Hope your calf heals before the big day
    @victal I have days like that - they tend to be related either to not sleeping well a few nights earlier, or pesky things like monthly cycles. Hope your next training session is better.

This family class was better than the last for me. I was more focused than last week. I now know that the formal family class is only going to be 30 minutes long (rather than the typical 45) because of the 3 & 4 year old, but that my son and I can keep practicing for the extra 15 minutes if we want to. Next time we come on Saturday, we will go for the full time.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    @victal‌ - I have had my share of those kind of days over the years. Especially morning workouts, I am more suseptible. For me, it's either over-training, not enough rest, or if I haven't been eating right. I noticed a link between what my diet and performance years ago.. but it took keeping a food log (long before I needed to do it for weight loss) to figure out what was giving me a hard time.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Had a great class last night, We have two 16yo boys that want to cage fight when they turn 17. we did some 2 on 1 drills and I showed them that they still need to find their "Man Strength" . They might be young and fast but they learned that getting hit hurts. It was fun to be able to relax the power a little (at their request) and show that youth isn't everything.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    @trackercasey76‌ I know what you mean - I've found as I have gotten older that the speed that I've lost is made up for in power, determination and skill.. I'm a much better fighter than I was 20 years ago.

And.. I'm finding that as I train harder and drop weight, some of my speed is coming back too.
  • rayfu75
    Options
    So tournament is Saturday and was already battling a calf injury & cutting weight. Got to my goal weight but now injured my toe. Thought it was broken but after xray only sprain no fractures. Now I'm torn if I keep my weight on point and compete or order a pizza and sit it out.
  • Arianera
    Options
    @rayfu75 Glad your work to make weight paid off. That's a tough decision.

When is your next opportunity to compete if you pass this one up? Will you be more disappointed to perform badly because you are protecting your injuries (and trying to avoid more) or to have to wait a while before you get the challenge again?

I've gotten to the age where injuries take a looong time to heal, so would be leaning towards getting healthy and not risking being unable to train for an extended period. But as we've already established, I don't currently have the competition mindset, which also colors my response.

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    @rayfu75 If it were me, I'd not make the decision today. The toe may feel much better in a day or 2. RICE the toe, and see if you feel ready on Friday night.
  • Arianera
    Options
    @rayfu75 What did you end up deciding?
  • rayfu75
    Options
    So I decided to compete. I taped my toe and gave my all. First match I was down by 2 points but was able to escape a back take and pass guard for 3 points in the last 30 seconds. Second match was a draw as I played my guard but end up losing it with 4 seconds left and lost. Well I didn't lose I ran out of time
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Not bad... Did you place at all?
  • rayfu75
    Options
    I took second. There were only 3 total in my division. I fought the loser of the first match then fought the winner for gold.
  • Arianera
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    @rayfu75‌ Nice! 2nd (almost 1st) is definitely respectable. How did your toe hold up?
  • rayfu75
    Options
    With the adrenaline going I didn't feel it until after the end of both matches. Sunday however it was swollen and sore and is still sore today. I have a few months to heal and get back into shape for the next one. Usually sometime in June or July would be the next tournament locally here in Phoenix.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    @rayfu75‌ Sounds like plenty of time. I was born in Phoenix, and I train with my instructor in Tucson a few times of year.