Water Cooler Chat

Options

Replies

• rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    @bwmalone my instructor is originally from Tucson and still has friends there that still teach. Small world.
  • rayfu75
    Options
    @arianera thank you
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    @rayfu75‌ When I was training in Tucson, I knew many instructors - who is yours? I might even know him.
  • rayfu75
    Options
    @bwmalone i train under chris lopez. he holds several black belts in different styles.
  • kellypence
    kellypence Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    @rayfu75 Congrats on 2nd, hope you heal quickly.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    @rayfu75‌ Can't say as I know him.. but it's been since the mid 90's since I last lived in AZ... and since the late 80's since I had been in tournaments in AZ.
  • rayfu75
    Options
    @kellypence thank you! I'm hoping I can convince myself to rest a few days to heal up ;)
  • kellypence
    kellypence Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Resting an injury is the WORST!!!!! Last night we worked on wrist locks and self-defense for a good bit. Nothing like finding yourself kissing the mat 2 seconds after the master tells you to grab his shoulders...and not being quite sure how you got there.
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Well last night was (too) exciting. I was too slow on a group reaction-time drill and someone missed the pad I was holding and punched me in the throat instead by mistake. I'm OK, and continued the class after taking a few minutes for the shock to wear off.

We found out last week that my son is continuing his consistent progress and was invited to test for his blue belt in mid-March. Last night I discovered that I am testing for my blue belt in mid-March as well.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Ouch on the throat-punch! Those can definitely be dangerous... Glad that the distance was set for the pad though - the lack of follow through was probably what kept it from being worse!

Congrats on being invited to testing! Exciting stuff!
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Yep, Throat punches suck...Effective in a real world situation but not fun in training. Congrats on the testing, Good luck!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Taekwondo-er here :) I'm a level 2 blue belt, grading for my level 3 next month. I've been doing it for just over a year and really enjoy poomsae. If I can get my schedule right for the extra class, I may be looking at competing in State later in the year :)

Finding TKD has changed my life. That sounds trite, but it's because of the way it makes me feel and my want to be the best at it I can be which has led to my 23kg weight loss and increase in fitness.
  • Arianera
    Options
    Welcome @alatariel75

Thanks for the commiseration on the throat punch. It's just a bit sore today, but nothing dangerous.

Totally off topic - but I was disproportionally saddened by the news about Leonard Nimoy.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    @Alatariel75‌ Glad to see you here, and another poomsae (forms or kata for everyone else) junkie too! Changing your life.. not so trite. TKD changed, and maybe saved mine.

@Arianera‌ Glad you're feeling better... and actually, I think that losing Leonard Nimoy is related - feels like another throat punch.
  • Arianera
    Options
    Good class last night. But this morning, I am trying to decide whether my sore low back is just DOMS from chipping ice plus a few too many kicks, or if I am on the verge of a low back spasm...
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    We had great class last night too. Full power punches for 3 minute rounds followed by full power kicks for 3 minute rounds. We rarely go full power for safety reasons but last night was all higher rank students so we went for it, and wow I can feel the difference!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    I had killer practice last night.. decided to jump rope 10 min warmup, then a set of box-squats before practicing each form from white on up...... 45 minutes of leg and balance torture. :)
  • Arianera
    Options
    My poor son. He fractured a toe over the summer by walking into a table, and yesterday during Sparring Class he stubbed his big toe on the mat hard enough to badly bruise it (we are taking him to the Dr. tomorrow to see if he is at risk of losing the nail). We were supposed to test on Friday - we'll see if it happens.

I'm being thrown for a loop between the snow days last week and the time-change today - I'm behind on a big assignment for work and thinking that I'll have to skip training on Monday to get it done.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    I hate it when that happens! I took an elbow to the top of my foot today sparring... it's going to be turning all kinds of blue... I hope he feels better soon!
  • Arianera
    Options
    Well, I'm glad we checked my son's toe promptly. His nail will likely be fine, but he has a small fracture in his big toe. So he's got 4-8 weeks of limited activity while it heals. We've got a message into the school to set up private lessons so that he can keep his forms fresh and work on upper body techniques. What is different about this time around is that he needs to not only watch for impact, but because it's his big toe he needs to limit how much he pushes off on that side.