paleo mayonnaise-mayoleo?

Options
2»

Replies

• homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    After over two and a half years of trying to make my own mayo, I finally found a win. I'm really picky on the flavour so.... Recently I had bought refined (yes refined!), cold pressed avocado oil. It's even lighter and less flavourful than light olive oil. It made the best mayo I've had so far. I wouldn't eat it in huge quantities all the time because it's my opinion that animal fats are best for me, but I haven't ever felt the need to go crazy with mayo since going Paleo anyway. I used immersion blender too, but did pour it in somewhat slowly. It also was the best consistency of any mayo I've ever made as well... besides baconnaise (which is AMAZING btw).

The cool thing about the immersion blender method is that you don't have to pour the oil as you blend, or even have to bring the ingredients to room temperature. Just put everything in your container (I use a pint jar), let the egg settle to the bottom, then put the immersion blender in, all the way to the bottom. Turn it on let it run a few seconds on the bottom, watch mayo begin to miraculously form in the bottom of the jar, then slowly draw immersion blender up to top, creating mayo as you go. Sometimes there's a tiny bit of oil left on the top; I just stir it in.

I have never had this method fail.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I had a number of fails when I didn't pour somewhat slowly (not super slow though) even with the immersion blender. I'm sure it's a problem with me but it never works. I even watched a video and followed instructions precisely. I'm just mayo-challenged I guess.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Did the video have you pouring the oil in while you blended? (Just curious.) Because in the method that works for me, you put all the ingredients, including the oil, in the jar first; you don't pour the oil in while blending.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    The video had everything in the jar at once, just as you described. I decided to pour it in this last time and had a complete win finally.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I had a number of fails when I didn't pour somewhat slowly (not super slow though) even with the immersion blender. I'm sure it's a problem with me but it never works. I even watched a video and followed instructions precisely. I'm just mayo-challenged I guess.

How warm is your house? It's been unusually cold here, lately (close to -20C, and colder with windchill), and the way our house is built and our shoddy windows, we have some pretty chilly spots. One of which includes our kitchen. My last couple of batches of mayo have been a not entirely fail, but certainly runnier than they should be (still good, still usable, but more like aioli than mayo). I'm kind of wondering if your house is too cool and that's why you don't have any luck even with the immersion blender method? I know you've had a number of issues with your house and furnace.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Getting the ingredients to room temperature is not supposed to matter for that method. But my house is generally 60-66 and in the cupboards is cooler. Last weekend the egg was out of the fridge for awhile, but the lemon juice was cold and the oil in the low 60s and it still worked.. with pouring moderately slowly. I'm going to stick with that method since the other things really can't be changed. (I have a new furnace but it works so much better that I've been able to keep the heat low and still feel comfortable.)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Getting the ingredients to room temperature is not supposed to matter for that method. But my house is generally 60-66 and in the cupboards is cooler. Last weekend the egg was out of the fridge for awhile, but the lemon juice was cold and the oil in the low 60s and it still worked.. with pouring moderately slowly. I'm going to stick with that method since the other things really can't be changed. (I have a new furnace but it works so much better that I've been able to keep the heat low and still feel comfortable.)

Yeah, I don't let my egg come to room temperature, either, but it's one thing I noticed the last few batches. The temperature of the oil, at least, might be the determining factor in how well it works in the immersion blender method. It'd be interesting to experiment with oil temperature and see where the line (if there is one) is.