Too much protein rant

Options
2»

Replies

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

I am having the hardest time finding Lard. Every time I pick up a can of it, it has the words, "Partially Hydrogenated" on it. I don't think buying it online would work because of the shipping costs. I am thinking about going to a butcher and getting some beef tallow/fat and rendering some....

Dan the Man from Michigan

Find a place that processes animals, not a butcher shop, but the places county fair 4H/FFA animals go to be taken from their whole state to steaks. They have tons of it, since most consumers pay extra to have it removed. They're a bit of a drive if you live in the cities, but they'll cut you a damn good price because they need rid of the stuff. Also, the animals not sold to private entities go here and are sold at the front counter. You want good meat, and are willing to pay a bit more, this is where you go. They'll age beef over 3 months if you want them to, and the marbling is superb.

Sounds good, I'll look into it. Thank you Sweet for the recommendation. I think I know where one is in the countryside.

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I am having the hardest time finding Lard. Every time I pick up a can of it, it has the words, "Partially Hydrogenated" on it. I don't think buying it online would work because of the shipping costs. I am thinking about going to a butcher and getting some beef tallow/fat and rendering some....

Find a place that processes animals, not a butcher shop, but the places county fair 4H/FFA animals go to be taken from their whole state to steaks. They have tons of it, since most consumers pay extra to have it removed. They're a bit of a drive if you live in the cities, but they'll cut you a damn good price because they need rid of the stuff. Also, the animals not sold to private entities go here and are sold at the front counter. You want good meat, and are willing to pay a bit more, this is where you go. They'll age beef over 3 months if you want them to, and the marbling is superb.

Some butchers will have it, too, though it might take a little asking around. I get my lard as raw fat and render it myself, this way. I have a couple places I've sourced from -- one's a nearby farm that processes their own animals (so I generally get the fat from the hogs they butcher around the same time we order a hog or part of a cow for free or next to nothing) and the other is a butcher about an hour and a half away that serves the nearby Amish/rural area (where I can buy the fat straight-up for about $1/lb). This works well for us, because I use lard for my soap making, too, so we go through a ton of it.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Some butchers will have it, too, though it might take a little asking around. I get my lard as raw fat and render it myself, this way. I have a couple places I've sourced from -- one's a nearby farm that processes their own animals (so I generally get the fat from the hogs they butcher around the same time we order a hog or part of a cow for free or next to nothing) and the other is a butcher about an hour and a half away that serves the nearby Amish/rural area (where I can buy the fat straight-up for about $1/lb). This works well for us, because I use lard for my soap making, too, so we go through a ton of it.

I found a place nearby. Its a Polish Meat Market. Everyone behind the counters spoke Polish and had accents. They will sell me some fat trimmings, but they didn't have much at the moment (they already ground up and put in sausages). But I found another something really good there. I won't report on it until I eat some of it. If its good, I'll make a new post... (I'm so excited)... LOL!

I hope this helps,

• zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Another way to get more fat is to look for greek yogurt made with whole milk. It can be tricky, since SO many of them are still low or nonfat. Greek Gods has a really good whole milk one. Walnuts are also a good fatty snack, as are pork rinds. I am in love with a chili lime pork rind our local grocery chain carries -- 0 carbs and really satisfy my love of crunchy snacky stuff.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options

But I found another something really good there. I won't report on it until I eat some of it. If its good, I'll make a new post... (I'm so excited)... LOL!

I hope this helps,

Dan, you are nothing but a tease. ;-) At least I'll be sure to login tomorrow to see what in the world it was that you ate!