How many #s of water do you pack on with a cheat/binge?

2»

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    zoom2 wrote: »
    Hmmm...these are all pretty solidly aerobic efforts, though. I read the Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance a while back and know there's at least one Western States 100 winner who is a low-carber...but these are still aerobic athletes. For races like 5k, short distance bike time trials, and cyclocross it requires a helluvalot of anerobic, "redline" output (far different from the sort of energy expenditure for longer stuff), which I've struggled to find much evidence of anyone doing well without glycogen stores. The last time I did a several month ketogenic stint I had to revert to basic calorie counting once I started racing and doing interval workouts. I had no top gears and battled chronic nausea anytime I tried to push the pace.

My understanding is that half marathons and 5Ks are still aerobic, except maybe a couple sprints.

That said, Mark Sisson and Peter Attia do a fair amount of anaerobic working out, as well (lifting, sprinting, etc).

You'll also probably find more people in the lifting circles that do keto, as the more fringe diets seem to be more common among lifters than it is among runners/cyclists. Lifting, however, is very much anaerobic, so it might provide you some insight.

Here are a few more resources:

http://primalnorth.blogspot.com/2013/05/sorry-anthony-colpo-truly-keto-athletes.html
    http://www.flexonline.com/nutrition/strength-without-carbs
    radiii wrote: »
    zoom2 wrote: »
    The last time I did a several month ketogenic stint I had to revert to basic calorie counting once I started racing and doing interval workouts. I had no top gears and battled chronic nausea anytime I tried to push the pace.

You seem like an ideal candidate for TKD:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index

I agree with this, TKD/CKD seem to work better for the higher athletes who need the larger glycogen stores during their workouts, as well as for people who are already quite lean. Definitely worth a try.
  • petr8888
    petr8888 Posts: 47 Member
    On the cheating issue I have learned this the hard way. Last Friday I went out with friends blew through my macros. So I was out of keto immediately - added 8 pounds (likely all water) and only yesterday Thursday was the water gone and back on keto per the strips. So I have lost 5 days in the battle. I found this really discouraging. So I think best to stay on course if possible.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    petr8888 wrote: »
    On the cheating issue I have learned this the hard way. Last Friday I went out with friends blew through my macros. So I was out of keto immediately - added 8 pounds (likely all water) and only yesterday Thursday was the water gone and back on keto per the strips. So I have lost 5 days in the battle. I found this really discouraging. So I think best to stay on course if possible.

To be fair, if the vast majority of what you "gained" was water and you didn't actually ingest 28,000 calories, you'll probably not have lost much time/loss at all once it clears out. I'm still holding onto 4 extra #s a week later, but I'm also dealing with TOM/AF issues at the same time and waking covered in bed marks...and my socks left divots in my ankles yesterday, boobs hurt like heck, etc (so I'd be up 3-4#s, anyhow). Another day or two and I'll be literally p!ssing it all away. :dizzy_face:
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    > back on keto per the strips

strips only measure excess ketones in the urine, and are not indicative of ketosis in general