Whey protein (dairy)

hotsungirl
hotsungirl Posts: 107 Member
edited February 2015 in Social Groups
Whey/dairy and LCHF. Any thoughts, or experiences? I was reading how it can be responsible for holding up weight loss *in some people*. That's the first question. Second, is that allergy season is upon us in Arizona...and I'm contemplating lightening up the dairy to help.

Replies

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited February 2015
    Dairy is good for LCHF, its one of the biggest food groups for us. Lots of healthy fat in almost all of it, and most of it has low carbs. Ice-cream is bad. Yogurt is borderline, (read the labels). Milk is borderline to many carbs.

If you eat to much cheese, you could get constipated.

Was there any particular dairy you are concerned about?

Here is a screen shot of my spreadsheet for Dairy (Milk is on another sheet, I'll add it later):

oe7qcdjjyvn3.png

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

P.S. If you see something I left out, please tell me and I'll add it.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Are you talking protein supplement for smoothies and such, or actual dairy? If you're concerned about the whey as a protein supplement, what about maybe egg protein, or pea protein? Jay Robb makes egg protein powders, and Now makes pea protein.
  • nill4me
    DittoDan wrote: »

Mascarpone Cheese. Man I love that stuff.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member

Butter!
  • nill4me
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Butter!

oh yeah! lol
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    edited February 2015
    Dan, more dairy: Gouda, blue cheese, greek yogurt (full fat), quark, brie. And my all time fav, a bleu brie, Cambozola - best prices at Trader Joe's and Costco. Heavenly in omelettes.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    There are like a million different kinds of cheeses. You might be better off using their classification (soft, hard, whey, goat, sheep, etc) and averaging a sampling of each, and maybe only single out a couple of the common staples (ricotta, cheddar, mozz, cream) in each classification. Otherwise, I could make that list a mile long.
  • DittoDan
    Everything duly noted.... Thank you everyone! Will update. How I left butter off, is beyond me. I do have it on my "Oils" spread sheet though. I tried to put the more common cheeses, but I'm willing to add the others. I'll re-post when I get it updated.

I hope this helps,

• DittoDan
    oyadancing wrote: »
    Dan, more dairy: Gouda, blue cheese, greek yogurt (full fat), quark, brie. And my all time fav, a bleu brie, Cambozola - best prices at Trader Joe's and Costco. Heavenly in omelettes.

I have never tried any of these (I've only heard of the Gouda cheese) the others are new to me:

Gouda
    Quark
    Greek Full Fat
    Bleu Brie
    Cambozola

I tried Brie once, it was so nasty I spit it out. Bleu Brie? Must be spolied normal brie that has blue penicillin growing on it? :s

Are the above cheeses mainstream or only for the "upper-crust-croissant-quiche-crowd"? (LOL!)

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    They're not so upper crust but can be more expensive. Also not found in like cost less, more a Safeway and above thing. Full fat greek refers to Greek Yogurt made with cream or at least whole milk. It's heavenly, but hard to find. I make my own with straight goat cream.

• oyadancing
    I got caught up in dairy brainstorming. Sue me, I love cheese. Nowadays, all supermarkets carry all types of cheeses, so no, there's no particular crowd for these.

Gouda: A hard, smoked cheese
    Quark: Like a cross between thick yogurt and sour cream
    Greek yogurt: It's everywhere, what's his face from Full House hawks it, much lower in carbs than regular, and full fat is lowest. Fage is the only brand I've found that offers full fat

Some cheeses can seem "challenging" to just snack on but are great when you cook with them. And frankly, the best part of brie is the soft insides, there's nothing like it.
  • oyadancing
    As for dairy holding up weight loss - getting back to OP - I've read that, too. The lactose - milk sugar - in dairy could have as much as an impact as fructose and glucose.

For my own part, I try to avoid milk, yogurt, and half-and-half for that reason. Last week I bumped into (completely by accident, you know) a Starbucks breve, new term for me: a latte made with half-and-half. More fat than normal, but 16g carbs in 12oz! A 1/4 cup of berries, or a cup of green beans, has fewer.
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member

Cambozola! What is this magic sounding delicacy. Must try!
  • DittoDan
    As for dairy holding up weight loss - getting back to OP - I've read that, too. The lactose - milk sugar - in dairy could have as much as an impact as fructose and glucose.

For my own part, I try to avoid milk, yogurt, and half-and-half for that reason. Last week I bumped into (completely by accident, you know) a Starbucks breve, new term for me: a latte made with half-and-half. More fat than normal, but 16g carbs in 12oz! A 1/4 cup of berries, or a cup of green beans, has fewer.

Oya,

I see the abbreviation "OP" all the time on the LCD group, I'm guessing it means: "Original Post"?

Please confirm...

Thank you,

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member

Oya,

I see the abbreviation "OP" all the time on the LCD group, I'm guessing it means: "Original Post"?

Please confirm...

Thank you,

Yes, OP is original post if you are talking about the post, or OP can be original poster if you are talking about the person who made the original post.

HTH
  • DittoDan
    edited February 2015
    I got caught up in dairy brainstorming. Sue me, I love cheese. Nowadays, all supermarkets carry all types of cheeses, so no, there's no particular crowd for these.

Gouda: A hard, smoked cheese
    Quark: Like a cross between thick yogurt and sour cream
    Greek yogurt: It's everywhere, what's his face from Full House hawks it, much lower in carbs than regular, and full fat is lowest. Fage is the only brand I've found that offers full fat

Some cheeses can seem "challenging" to just snack on but are great when you cook with them. And frankly, the best part of brie is the soft insides, there's nothing like it.

Oya,

Well, I did find most of them on the nutritional websites. But cambozola is so rare, its not in either of the databases I looked. Yes, I did find it on google.

vhenoffgy2sp.jpg

mciahroykjdr.jpg

I found Oikos Greek Yogurt Traditional. I couldn't find one that said, "Full Fat". There were 7 pages of no-fat and low fat. The low fat had 10g per pound. The traditional had 18g. SO I am assuming I have the right one.

There was no "Bleu Brie" either.

If you have a container with the info of the above hard-to-find items, please supply the following data:

Brand,
    Serving size by weight,
    fat,
    protein,
    calories,
    carbs,
    (probably not any fiber).

Thank you.

I hope this helps,

CK.jpg 55.6K
    nd.jpg 41.6K
  • DittoDan
    Here is the updated Dairy Spreadsheet:

m18oltcls8c0.jpg

I hope this helps,

• robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    In the UK Blue Brie is widely available. It is also marketed in the English speaking world as Cambozola. President Choice Blue Brie:- 30 gm serving; Cals 70; Total Fat 4; Sat Fat 3; Carbs 70; Polysaturates,Monosaturates and Transfats all 0; Chol 15mg; Sodium 210 mg.
    For someone like yourself who likes to delve you may like the following:- www.cheesescience.net/2008/08/blue-brie.hmtl.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    edited February 2015
    It's
    In the UK Blue Brie is widely available. It is also marketed in the English speaking world as Cambozola. President Choice Blue Brie:- 30 gm serving; Cals 70; Total Fat 4; Sat Fat 3; Carbs 70; Polysaturates,Monosaturates and Transfats all 0; Chol 15mg; Sodium 210 mg.
    For someone like yourself who likes to delve you may like the following:- www.cheesescience.net/2008/08/blue-brie.hmtl.
    It's probably a mix of camembert and gorgonzola.

Edited to add: http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/Cambozola.asp

• gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    I have heard this same information about dairy impeding weight loss. It's only been about 2 weeks I'm back on keto. 1st week no dairy. This week I've had limited amounts. (Very hard because it makes mealtime magic). But more to the point. In my own personal experience, the last time I did keto, I did find that I had to limit my amounts of dairy as it did noticeably stall weight loss. I was however almost living on beef and cheese. So I'm also suspecting I may have been getting a few more hidden carbs than suggested. This was before the era of all the sites like this one, before we even had a computer at home. So take that for what it's worth. HTH