Over 50s Ladies - Our Special Needs

Options

Replies

• wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Sk8Kate It sounds like your wedding activities are going full steam ahead and you're enjoying every minute! It's so great that this WOE is helping you keep an even keel.

Karyn --Welcome! Yes, most of us have experienced the slow weight loss that comes as we get older, so you're in good company! This is a good place to come for tips and encouragement.

Lyn ---Wow! 14.5 lbs in two weeks; that's fantastic! Many of us eat 20-22 carbs; that level is totally doable. MFP doesn't allow you to put in the number of carbs, it uses percentage. I have mine set at 5%, which in my case is 19 carbs. Pretty close. We're glad to have you in this group, so a hearty welcome to you!

FaithMathias--I don't think I've said hello to you yet. You sure are working hard at this and I wish you all the best in meeting your goals! You'll find that many ladies weigh daily, but others weekly or even monthly. It's such an individual decision, according to comfort level and need. Glad to have you here too!

Kitn--Oh man--your weekend sounds like you had such a wonderful time! So happy that you were able to enjoy sunshine, swimming, friends, great accommodations---and wine! I'm sorry about the flooding at your work and hope it gets back to normal soon.

Some of you saw the thread I started today, asking for help with my long stall. The consensus is that I've been eating too little and dealt a death-blow to my metabolism. So I'm definitely upping my calories and going to make sure I eat at that level. I hope I don't blow up, but I'll keep it up for a month to see it through. I'll talk to my doctor again about the cortisol issue and will try to get her to do a test or whatever to determine whether I have a problem.
    I am sleeping better, but often wake and 3 and am unable to get back to sleep. That's when you'll see me on MFP. ;)
  • FaithMathias
    FaithMathias Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Well, I completed my morning walk keep my calories low and my carbs lower. I was at 67 carbs today and I am doing the happy dance.
  • azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Up early. Happy Wednesday xoxox
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,058 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday to you too, and all the wonderful Ladies here !

I'm pretty frustrated about the flood at work, since I was asked to relocate 3 times yesterday, so lugged my supplies all over the place. It looks like restoration may take 4 months, so not sure where I will be working until then. I'm trying to psyche myself up and make the best of it. I'm sore from bad ergonomics as well. Seeing Dr Randy today, so that should help.
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hello my lovely ladies! So sorry that i have left you so long but how lovely to have a chance to it down with a cuppa and read everything.

Amazing to see we have flown past the 1000 post mark! Yahoooooo. Really nice to see that the LC forum has hit 3.5k too despite our 'block' at the moment! Seems people do still want to join us 'looneys'

@Imanes1..welcome to our lovely group! And...in case I cant get onto the thread..happy birthday for 11th!
    @Karyn ...welcome. sorry the weight loss is being so slow but you are in the right place for advice and support! Many of us are struggling with stubborn weight or long plateaus.
    @susan..welcome to the group. Look forward to hearing how you get on.
    @texaslyn56...welcome to you too. Another 56 baby! Must have been a busy year!lol. When is your birthday? May is this month and I am september. A lot of us are at 20gm carb. What have you set for your protein and fats?

@Rebecca, so sorry that after everything you have been through that there is still something that can knock you off course. Lots of love and positive thoughts are going your way. I really hope it passes quickly and you can get on with positive things. How is the new build going?

@canadjineh...lol, i googled cougar and the concensus seems to be anyone over 40 so.......the old sabre teeth can be put away, we can all still be cougars! I was 43 when I pounced on my kitten and that was 15 years ago so that still counts!
    I adore the sound of canoeing and /or skiing and your stories about your night shifts. You must have a wealth of information and stories about your area. So interesting.

@Karla...your poor dog! They give us so much unconditional love that I can understand doing anything you can to help them. Hope he improves with your love and care. How is your loss now? Any movement after your sudden increase or is it being stubborn? I know how positive you are and how much you have already achieved. Im sure you will stick with it and see results again soon.

@ May......I missed the fried cheese thing! I adore crispy cheese....so fried parmesan was good? Sounds interesting. Not long now until you get away down south for your break. How are the in laws? Are they getting the support at home they need? Hope so.

@Cindy....I didnt realise your hubby had been lost in an accident. Was it a car crash? I have a thought in the back of my mind that you wrote that? Its so good that you spent the day doing things he would have enjoyed. Being positive. I heard years ago that the best way to keep a person 'alive' was to do the things they enjoyed and enjoy sharing the memories. I am sooo envious of your pool! How are the baby birds btw...are they still ok and growing? I am intrigued when you said earlier that your son is'only a short boat ride away',lol. Sounds far more interesting than a couple of miles away! lol. Where are you exactly. Id love to google where you, Kathie, Canadjineh and Ellen are and google them all!

@krazyforyou..lolol..short and sweet your postings may be but you know how to pack a lot of info into a few words! lol. You never said how your weigh in went? Hows it going?

@kathie...aha! A hint of what you look like at last! A lot of you are keeping your photos hudden from us! Blonde, blue eyed and interestingly plae(normally,lol) Quick take a photo while you have some colour and let us see!
    At least you seem to be getting through the wedding preps. I should think you want to strangle your dil to be if she keeps changing her mind about things...especially the beading on the dress! gritted teeth. Must be so hard for you all if her mother is so unreliable(at the least) so it all falls on you. May your lists soon be just an odd piece of paper and then.....gone. Not long now. Have you thought about making a load of cupcakes and freezing them so that if the cake doesnt turn up you can do a cupcake tower wedding cake?? Just a thought .

@Janice. Ohhhhh, your trip sounds amazing! I sooo want to see where you went. It sounds beautiful. Do you all in Canada have to deal with mosquitos and gnats or midges or is it just certain areas?? Your friend sounds amazing...so positive and supportive of people. Strange her hubby is not as strong. Lol, reminds me of the 'odd couple'..opposites atracting etc. We have lots of Philipinos here too but I know nothing about there food. Will have to go and ask the girls in the shop. Interestingly when they first arrive here they are all lovely and slim BUT after a couple of years+ here they get really chubby. WE think the reason is that they are on very low wages and here the food in the Food Courts is the cheapest! Plus if they work in the shops in the Malls they get discount in the Food Courts. Such a shame.
    The flood is just what you needed! Hopefully it gets sorted out quickly. You have enough stress to deal with without that adding to it. Has the bully still be targetting you or have they backed off now btw?

@Ellen...yes! Please, please try and get someone tolisten to you about the cortisol. I have heard about Dr'sthere called functional Drs. I dont know where exactly you are but I am sure there must be one or two around. Instaed of dealing with patients according to symptom and just treating that they are fully trained MD@s who treat patients hollistically. Friends here with Hashimotos and Fibro swear by theirs here. Sorry to keep mentioning it but it keeps buzzing in my mind!

Phew, I think I got everyone in that I wanted to reply too. If i missed you...sorry!

Chris told me last week that I am going to 'officially' be told they are expecting the weekend after next when Tinka is 18 weeks. At Last! Seems they do the sexing scan at 20 weeks in Slovakis so a couple of weeks after that they will know....who knows if they will tell me!!!! Still cant get my head around being Granny! Lol. Im assured its wonderful. Much better tha being aparent...you can hand them back! Lolol.

Tale care everyone. Will try and get onto out thread more frequently so you dont have to wade through so much. Its our crazy hours at the moment. Love and hugs to you all and keep doing as well as you are.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    @Jane --I'd love to have a functional doctor, but there are none to be found around here. I keep looking to see if someone new opens up an office. My primary doctor is a DO and they sometimes use natural means, but not so much my doctor. I'll keep working on her. ;)
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    Several of us on this thread have been dealing with heart palpitations and the anxiety that comes with them. I've had them for probably 10 years. I've gone through all the testing and my cardio says they're benign, and I agree. But I hate having them! I ran across a supplement that I've begun taking which I hope will minimize or eliminate the palpitations. It's called Heart Calm.

Heart-Calm-Supplement-Facts.png
    I found it on this blog: http://www.theperimenopauseblog.com/heart-calm-for-heart-palpitations-in-perimenopause/ . I read all the info links and other reviews, which were good. I've never taken taurine before, but I do take magnesium, CoQ10 and potassium. I think the idea is that they work synergistically to provide the heart what it needs to operate smoothly, and getting it all in 1 supplement is a plus! I took my first capsules yesterday and since then haven't had a palpitation. That could be just happenstance, so we'll see how it goes. This doesn't seem to be a risky supplement at all, so I hope it works as well as the reviews suggest.

Sorry, I don't know how to make the image smaller.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi there Beautiful Ladies (best on the internet actually!) So sorry I've been missing. I find that the posts mount up over weekends that David's not working and then the prospect of replying to everyone is a bit scary LOL *Thank you* to dear @Jane for taking such time to do that!

A hearty welcome from me to all the new members of the group, it's so good to see you here. Please continue to share in the giving and receiving of support, questions, answers <3

@Janice I'm so happy to hear that you had such a beautiful weekend, and thank you so much for telling us about it so that we could share your holiday and be happy for the fun you had. So sorry about the traumas of the flooding at your work though - oh my!!!

@Jane yes, fried parmesan was really yummy! It holds together better than other cheeses I've tried so far, and adheres to the fish slice less as you lift it from pan to plate. Bonus LOL The in-laws are taking it day by day, which is all any of us can do really. We've made several trips down there this week and I guess that's the shape of things to come. The only ongoing home support is to shower my MIL 3 times a week, which they now have to pay for, but it's heavily subsidised by the gov't fortunately. Ha ha I can't wait for you to *really* know that you're going to be a grandma. I was 48 when I got that news for the first time and was so happy. David wasn't so keen. I guess you won't be knitting or crocheting bootees and bonnets in your temperatures. I pretty much give those hobbies up in summer here.

@Kathie The wedding will soon be here and I'm really hoping you've planned a special treat for yourself afterwards. It should be *you* taking the honeymoon!!!

@Ellen - any shift in your weight now you're eating more? I truly hope you get a quick reaction for the better, you've been more than patient long enough.

Last week I foolishly bought some flavoured macadamia nuts and discovered that I can't stop at just one. I had 3 pig-outs with those after having zero pig-outs on anything since going LCHF on 23rd January. I guess getting 3 binges out of a quantity I would previously have written off in just one night is the positive to look at here, as I move on with knowledge of what not to buy in the future. I put on a kilo in 3 days, but half of that has gone already, thankfully. No idea how long the other half a kilo will take, but that's all part of the journey, and will help my memory in the future ha ha!

Oh! Edited to add - this was my 1,001th post. Missed the 1,000th one who knows where.
  • azcowgirrlup
    Options
    Good morning dear friends! I hope everyone has a really nice day. Sometimes I think really nice is better than fantastic... a bit of weirdness on my part I guess. I have replaced my hummingbird feeders since they were all shattered from hail last week. My hummers are back and happy. Silly observation, they will not use the fancy wood, brass and etched glass feeder that I put out to hold them over until the new ones arrived. They adore the plastic feeders though lol. I have very down to earth lil hummers. :)
  • cdpits
    cdpits Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Good morning my beautiful friends ! I've been slacking on posting, super busy weekend with a 3 dog show weekend here and incredible heat !! It was over 100 on Sunday and there are so many forest fires burning that the sky is grey from smoke and the sun and moon are an orange colour ! Thankfully none are terrible close to my home. I live on a mountain and it's always a big worry when it's so dry here with all the trees around me.
    @jane , yes, my husband was killed in a single vehicle accident about 2 kms from our home. Nothing in autopsy to indicate why health wise, just will never know the cause. I do all the things we enjoyed together while at the same time, rediscovering who "I" am and what "I" like to do after almost 30 years of being "we". Always trying to keep moving forward. About 4 months after he passed was the turning point of my weight loss journey. He loved me unconditionally and never told me to lose weight or made comments about it. I topped out at 380lbs and the light bulb went on one day and I told myself there's no one here to take care of me so I better figure it out and get healthy! I have 5 acres to take care of and most of the time that is my "gym" LOL!
    The baby birds are growing well and I did peek at them on the weekend, I try to leave the area alone but will try and take a picture today !
    The pool has been a blessing with this heat, I have even had the dogs in for a dip to cool down :)

This is one of my girls, G/C II Scylla, taking the Champion of Champions cup this past weekend :)

kii2hh48162u.jpg
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Just a quickie....
    Lol, Ellen I'll stop going on about cortisol and functional Drs now, hehehe. Hopefully you will get one in your area soon or your Dr will do herself a favour and educate herself a bit more about cortisol! Interesting supplement. Do you have a brand name?? I am still getting flutters, not as much thankfully but yesterday and today have been worse even though I have taken magnesium and potassium.
    May, I was just catching up with everyone as i havent had a chance to be more regular(hehe we all like being regular dont we) and we still miss hearing all your news!
    @azcowgirlup...i saw your real name on the thread in the forum but have forgotten, could you remind me please. Humming birds, lovely. I am lucky enough to have trees in next doors garden(so they pay for the watering not me,lol) and we have several different types of birds but not humming birds. How gorgeous! The closest I get is a beautiful purple sunbird which hovvers to drink the nectar....they are beautiful little things. Strangely we have a lot of sparrows which are very English to me.....actually they are becoming endangered there due to the ripping up of hedgerows and extensive building....I have more here I think!
    @Cindy....sometimes only God knows why things happen. It must be quite interesting to rediscover who 'you' are and do things maybe you wouldnt have when you were a 'we'. A little voyage of discovery while still keeping the old habits alive. Nice. 5 acres....yes thats got to be a good workout,lolol. What kind of dogs do you show? Dont recognise the breed in the pic. Would love to see the little birds develop...hope they are a nice kind and not a niucence kind!!

• cdpits
    cdpits Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The little birds appear to have flown the nest !! They were there a few days ago but were 1/2 covered in feathers. Didn't realize they matured so fast !! The dogs are Armerican Pit Bull Terriers. I have owned and showed the breed since the early 80's.
  • fangirlish
    fangirlish Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi there, is it OK for a latecomer to join the discussion? Confession time: I'm generally not a big contributor to online forums and boards, but this seems like a lovely group who face many of the same issues I do.

I'm 63 years old and have been using low carb eating to control diabetes. I began eating lower carb in 2010 (about 75 grams/day) and progressed to very low carb/keto (about 20 grams/day) in about 2012 or maybe early 2013. I have found the lower the carb content, the better I can manage my blood sugars. I've also discovered that LCHF is a delicious way to eat and pretty easy to maintain.

I've lost 50 pounds over these past 5 years, 28 or so since I joined MFP a couple years ago. Not a fast weight loss, certainly, but I don't mind that. My primary interest is in regulating blood sugar levels and also lipids. I take occasional breaks from logging and exact weighs and measures, but generally not for too long. My eyeball estimates tend to get larger over time and I always have to come back to precision and logging.

I have found that much higher caloric intake with extremely high fat, with a ketogenic ratio consistently over 2, seems to work well for me. My blood sugars are stable, I seem to lose weight slowly but consistently and I generally feel better. However, to placate my doctor I am currently on a much lower calorie and macro level, with this month's upcoming lab tests to determine which approach works better for me, at least medical test-wise.

Getting enough water is my biggest struggle.

I look forward to getting to know y'all and learning from you. :)

Syl

• wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    To answer your questions:
    @Jane The Heart Calm is made by Vital Biologics. You can read all about it on their website: http://www.vitalbiologics.com/ . I ordered mine from Amazon. Took my second dose this morning. No flutters so far. Could be just a fluke, but so far so good. And yes, I'll continue to research cortisol and work to heal it myself. Thanks for caring and encouraging me to be proactive. :)

@May I've been on higher calories for 2 days (this is my 3rd). The first day I lost 1.2 lbs, but since I had just gained 3, it was just coming down from that. I've stayed the same the other two mornings. Yay. No gain from the added calories so far. What I'm looking for is a Brand New Loss! You'll hear me holler when I do that! Hope you're having a wonderful holiday!!
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Hi Everyone, trying to behave myself with replying a little better – though there’s a weekend coming up with hubby, son and grandson all here LOL we’ll see how I go ;)

@azcowgirrlup do you have a first name that you’re happy to share? And your birth day and month if you wish. I would so love to see hummingbirds in real life, and get my camera into action with them. Enjoy!

@Cindy Stay safe!!! I understand the fear of fires, we had one too close to our home for comfort in the summer (it’s winter now). I’m so very sorry about your husband, it must be horrible not knowing a reason too. I’m glad that you are now putting yourself (and dogs) first, and you are all enjoying the pool as well. Is that you with the dog? I’m thinking yes. I can see a likeness to your avatar, though the sunnies give me uncertainty ;) But it’s wonderful to see you properly, if so. Congrats on taking the Cup, that’s fantastic news!!! Your dog looked a bit like a Boxer, but I knew that wasn’t right. Different to the pit bulls I know.

@Jane I already posted on your page, but for anyone else, I have found that a teaspoonful (rough measurement swigged from my private bottle) of apple cider vinegar each morning has put a stop to my heart flutters. I can’t supplement mag or pot because they make my flutters worse. Yup, regularity is a good thing ;) There are imported sparrows in the eastern states of Oz and they’re trying to ‘do them in’ because they are vermin. I have spotted necked doves in my garden and apparently they’re vermin too. Only from Asia though.

@fangirlish / Syl Welcome and no, never too late. I don’t do much in the other threads any more, but love this one – so supportive, and relevant. I’m so happy you enjoy this WOE and have had such great results. Yes, it’s slow for us isn’t it? Funnily enough, I seem to be finding that a ketogenic ratio of 1.5 to 2 is best for me, which seems very odd. But whatever works for each of us eh? I hope your tests are in line with what you desire them to be!!!

@Ellen I’m so pleased your flutters are gone, and I hope it stays that way! Blasted doctors annoy me so much and you are definitely better off being your own physician. Oh, oh, oh, excited, pregnant pause. Please, please let there be new weight loss for you, I’m so hopeful. I’ll squeal with you if it happens. My holiday starts on 20th July so not quite there yet, but thank you so much! And you’re so kind to use the Aussie word ‘holiday’ for me too <3

David’s been out this morning looking at a care home, potentially for his mother. Just rang and said it's not nice at all. But the truth is that his dad has now reached a point of full acceptance and is hoping she will pass, sooner than needing a home, in her own home. I'm glad for his acceptance, though it must be so terribly difficult for him.

My weight is going back down nicely now that all those flavoured macadamias are gone tee hee!

Love
    May
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Just a quickie from me too. Just wanted to let you ladies know reading your posts is helping me destress a little (I sit by myself sipping BPC and read). Wedding plans are made, then remade, then redone again honestly driving me crazy! 2 wks to go & she's so lackadaisical about it all, I'm having nightmares.
    @May. The adjustment in your FIL's way of thinking will definitely make things easier all the way around. But it is so sad to see them realize that the end may be near. Hugs.
    @Ellen. Hope to hear you holler real soon. I hope the heart calm is not a fluke and can finally be the supplement you've been looking for.
    @Jane. Wish you hadn't had such a rough day. Hopefully tomorrow wil be better. Thanks for.cupcake suggestion. I'm giving her until Sunday to pin her mother down on the cake. If she hasn't even started yet, I'm going to email someone who advertises they can do emergency cakes. Cause I sure as heck won't have time. Dress is finally altered & now putting Swarovski crystals in strategic spots (so I don't have to do hundreds).
    @Cindy. The smoke was still very thick here today again. We're still under respiratory advisory. But it sure does make the moon & sun look surreal.
    Well guess done pouting in the tub, so back off to do programs for the third!!! damn time.
    Have great weekend everyone
  • fangirlish
    fangirlish Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    @May, thank you for the warm welcome, much appreciated. This is such a friendly and supportive group! I'm very sorry to hear about your troubles with your mother-in-law, sending you and the family my best wishes.

Also sorry to hear of those who are enduring such miserable fires - how awful that must be.

Yeah, it's interesting to see how individual everyone is - and yet how flexible low carb eating is, that it can be adapted to so many different needs. My weight has been plateaued for nearly a year now, bouncing between a couple of pounds. I'm pretty patient, but this is straining my patience! May be doing a dietary plan switch up in a few weeks, depending on lab results.
  • azcowgirrlup
    Options
    Good Morning! Happy Friday!

@GrannyMayOz , My name is Karyn and my birthday is December 21st. The Hummers are active this morning! Territorial little things! They are more interested in the Red Yuccas than the feeders today. Blue Jays are squacking up a storm and scolding Winslow, my Dachshund. Lots of birds this morning, but no Javalina for a few days.

I am hoping to break my weight loss stall soon, but who knows, huh lol.

I hope everyone has a good day!
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    @Kathie I hope you're managing to have some peace today. Not sure whether to share what went through my mind as I read your post. It was that I hope you won't expect any thanks from anyone for the herculean efforts that you've put into this because people who help so little, and care so little for those doing the work, are not the kind of people who even consider that a thank you is needed. I hope I'm truly wrong!!! I don't by any means suggest you're only doing this for thanks, but a small and genuine thank you sure does mean a lot doesn't it?

@Syl No worries, it's great to have you here, and thank you for the wishes <3 I do hope your weight will start to shift very soon. It's so frustrating isn't it?

@Karyn thank you for your details, I've added you to my birthday list. Your birds sound so delightful. And I *love* Dachshunds. Always wanted one but never have :( I had to look up Javalina, they are sooo cute! Do they eat your garden?

@Imones1 Happy Birthday!!! o:)
  • azcowgirrlup
    Options
    Good morning! The sun is coming up and I need to cook some bacon. B) and feed the cats and dogs. The bacon is for me though. :)
    @GrannyMayOz , thank you! Oh, the Javalina are cute, especially the babies, but they are dangerous. As for my garden, they dig up every single bulb I plant, except Irises. Apparently Irises don't taste good. My vegetable garden is fenced off and they stay out, but they do eat some fruit off of the trees. There is more than enough though, so they are welcome to have some. As for the Dachshunds, I am down to two now, Winslow is 18 months old and Tink is 8 years old. I adore the little monsters lol
    I hope everyone has a really awesome Saturday!