Repost? Why women shouldn't do alot of cardio

Options
124»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Another article that tears this argument apart: http://gokaleo.com/2013/06/11/women-and-running/

I wish MFP would knock off this anti-cardio nonsense. I don't even do any cardio, and I'm tired of it.

Good read. My 2c - for weight loss LISS should be used sparingly but incorporated when appropriate, however, if someone enjoys it, there are ways to incorporate it.

Summary of the article:

"Steady-state cardio has been shown numerous times to have many health benefits leading to decreased mortality risks. Sure, “too much” (so far quantified only as “long term and excessive” amounts typically used by competitive, extreme distance athletes) is not good for you and can be detrimental to general health and fitness goals. But for all the Jessicas out there, moderate amounts can easily be included in a well-rounded routine to complement fat loss goals or general health pursuits.
    That said, steady-state cardio is not a requirement. If someone doesn’t want to do it or doesn’t like it, there are other alternatives that can be used. What this all boils down to is this: If you enjoy running and feel it benefits you and your training, and aligns with your goals… then keep on running."

I wonder if that's just a combined effect of weight loss in general? I fully realize the benefits of cardiovascular fitness. Everyone does. But there have been studies that weight loss in itself is beneficial. Even if it wasn't done in a particularly healthy way.

You wonder if what is just the combined effect of weight los in general?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    why did we feel the need to repost this?

ETA: I would very much like for OP to read the above linked article and reply with his thoughts on why after all the cat gifs from yesterday we needed another post.

I have posted my thoughts.

for the records, this thread in this group was posted before the one in the main forums.

No comments regarding the article that supposedly was proving a point actually had little factual basis to back it up.

What type of reply are you seeking from me? Is it that important that you?

I think I'll sleep tonight either way. Just don't start linking posts from marks daily apple next time in three different threads.

What three threads? I posted this twice.

I know you only posted twice...this time. Maybe next time it escalates...who knows. I'm done though
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Another article that tears this argument apart: http://gokaleo.com/2013/06/11/women-and-running/

I wish MFP would knock off this anti-cardio nonsense. I don't even do any cardio, and I'm tired of it.

Good read. My 2c - for weight loss LISS should be used sparingly but incorporated when appropriate, however, if someone enjoys it, there are ways to incorporate it.

Summary of the article:

"Steady-state cardio has been shown numerous times to have many health benefits leading to decreased mortality risks. Sure, “too much” (so far quantified only as “long term and excessive” amounts typically used by competitive, extreme distance athletes) is not good for you and can be detrimental to general health and fitness goals. But for all the Jessicas out there, moderate amounts can easily be included in a well-rounded routine to complement fat loss goals or general health pursuits.
    That said, steady-state cardio is not a requirement. If someone doesn’t want to do it or doesn’t like it, there are other alternatives that can be used. What this all boils down to is this: If you enjoy running and feel it benefits you and your training, and aligns with your goals… then keep on running."

I wonder if that's just a combined effect of weight loss in general? I fully realize the benefits of cardiovascular fitness. Everyone does. But there have been studies that weight loss in itself is beneficial. Even if it wasn't done in a particularly healthy way.

Basically yes. Just lower weight (fat in particular but not exclusively). The lower weight loss meant less fat surrounding the organs and the resulting lower health risks
    http://health.usnews.com/health-conditions/heart-health/information-on-weight-management
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Summary of the article:

Basically yes. Just lower weight (fat in particular but not exclusively). The lower weight loss meant less fat surrounding the organs and the resulting lower health risks
    http://health.usnews.com/health-conditions/heart-health/information-on-weight-management

So then what are the benefits of cardiovascular fitness that everyone knows about?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Summary of the article:

I get that, but why assume that is what is being referred to? Cardio without weight loss has benefits.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Summary of the article:

So then what are the benefits of cardiovascular fitness that everyone knows about?

It's an assumption. Since I don't know how much you know, I won't speak for you and therefore won't state the benefits like you would know it. Because you might not know it. You're right, maybe I'll pick an article from his site and post it
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    What do those pics have to do with anything? Author says get more fat. Not literally turn into an obese person.

I see this topic is back :drinker:
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    What do those pics have to do with anything? Author says get more fat. Not literally turn into an obese person.

Women who literally run for a living clearly did not get more fat. Obesity is a straw man, it was never mentioned.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Women who literally run for a living clearly did not get more fat. Obesity is a straw man, it was never mentioned.

How do you know that the author was referring to professional runners that train to the extreme and diet extremely carefull? You'd think they would be much more cut for that many calories burnt. Your example as strawman as anything else.