You Be YOU, I'll Be ME Member Support in the LCD/Keto Groups

Options

Replies

• robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I was told this group is fairly inactive, and Reddit-Keto almost dead..I'd wanted to warm us up..and say how great ...as pointed out..that we ARE small in number, have a base core of understanding, and are wonderfully supportive.

This was semi-true, and was definitely the prevailing opinion about this group for a long time. Part of the problem was there were 6,000 pinned threads that never changed, at the top of the group. People would come and check this place out and only look at the top of the page. They'd see the most recent posts were from months or years before, and they would leave. There were no active moderators and no way to contact the old ones. So, there was no way to remove all those threads to bring the active conversations more attention. There were active conversations, just not a whole lot. It was pretty steady in here, but not really crazy. Plus, many of us got tired of dealing with the main forums and didn't do much to draw attention to the activity here.

Then Dragonwolf (or was it baconslave) was able to contact the admins of MFP and get added to the mod list, a few of the other active regulars volunteered to help clean things up, and we've tried to make it a point to make this place more active and friendly and welcoming to the low-carb outcasts from the main forums. So, it's gotten better. And we're seeing more activity from more new people, which is very exciting.

As a relative newcomer to the group the work of the mods is greatly appreciated. If the aim was to make this forum Active, friendly and welcoming the result deserves an Alpha Plus as far as I am concerned.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    HA at my blood test today the tech said he hopes the LCHF does not raise my cholesterol. I just said only in a good way. Maybe you should read about it.

My only thing with LCHF/Atkins/Keto or anything in between I tend to get confused on what I am trying to do and some times not sure what I am trying to do other than to lose weight. I think I am trying to do Atkins or was it LCHF? but then look at so many keto folks enjoying so many more veggie carbs. But I do not think I will lose on that many carbs because of my poor WOE most of my life and carb addiction. At least for now I have my weight stable and maybe going down by 10th of a pound every few days. No more of the big upswings I was having.

So never mind me I will just look in with confusion. LOL

I think if anyone were to ask me I would be tempted to answer something like, "I'm charting my life with DoL (duration of life) on the x-axis and QoL (quality of life) on the y-axis and I'm trying to integrate my Life Equation to maximize the area under the curve." Of course at that point most people tend to look around for help while trying to change the subject.

• KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I was told this group is fairly inactive, and Reddit-Keto almost dead..I'd wanted to warm us up..and say how great ...as pointed out..that we ARE small in number, have a base core of understanding, and are wonderfully supportive.

This was semi-true, and was definitely the prevailing opinion about this group for a long time. Part of the problem was there were 6,000 pinned threads that never changed, at the top of the group. People would come and check this place out and only look at the top of the page. They'd see the most recent posts were from months or years before, and they would leave. There were no active moderators and no way to contact the old ones. So, there was no way to remove all those threads to bring the active conversations more attention. There were active conversations, just not a whole lot. It was pretty steady in here, but not really crazy. Plus, many of us got tired of dealing with the main forums and didn't do much to draw attention to the activity here.

Then Dragonwolf (or was it baconslave) was able to contact the admins of MFP and get added to the mod list, a few of the other active regulars volunteered to help clean things up, and we've tried to make it a point to make this place more active and friendly and welcoming to the low-carb outcasts from the main forums. So, it's gotten better. And we're seeing more activity from more new people, which is very exciting.

As a relative newcomer to the group the work of the mods is greatly appreciated. If the aim was to make this forum Active, friendly and welcoming the result deserves an Alpha Plus as far as I am concerned.
    What he said.

• shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    KeithF6250 wrote: »
    HA at my blood test today the tech said he hopes the LCHF does not raise my cholesterol. I just said only in a good way. Maybe you should read about it.

I think if anyone were to ask me I would be tempted to answer something like, "I'm charting my life with DoL (duration of life) on the x-axis and QoL (quality of life) on the y-axis and I'm trying to integrate my Life Equation to maximize the area under the curve." Of course at that point most people tend to look around for help while trying to change the subject.

LOL You even got me on that one.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    The thing that I love the best about this group, other than that it isn't the Litterbox, is how we accept and support the full spectrum of low-carb lifestyles. We aren't a nit-picky, exclusive-to-one-plan clique. As long as you are trying to be low-carb, or interested in learning about it, you're in. It just further proves that there doesn't have to be just one way to do things like THEY, i.e. the CICO zealots, claim. (I don't have anything against CICO/IIFYM in general, just those who persecute people who aren't like them.) Support matters here, not labels. Lots of you guys don't do things the exact way I do, and that is FANTASTIC. I keep learning so much and enjoy hearing about all the health improvements, SVs and NSVs. I'm here because I want everyone to succeed. And whichever road they take to get there, as long as they are happy and healthy, is a-OK with me. :heart:

I was bragging about this group on an exclusively low-carb forum yesterday. Very proud of what is happening here in the LCD. :smile:
    And slow carb!
  • ElmerLourens
    ElmerLourens Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    LCHF is getting me to my profile picture :#
  • ElmerLourens
    ElmerLourens Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I tend to find I get upset if uninformed people start giving there opinions related to LcHF. Its like having children, everyone that has none always knows better.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    LCHF is getting me to my profile picture :#
    LOL Let's hope it stops a little short!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

What he said!! Thank you, mods, for all your hard, awesome work! :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    Options
    The thing that I love the best about this group, other than that it isn't the Litterbox, is how we accept and support the full spectrum of low-carb lifestyles. We aren't a nit-picky, exclusive-to-one-plan clique. As long as you are trying to be low-carb, or interested in learning about it, you're in. It just further proves that there doesn't have to be just one way to do things like THEY, i.e. the CICO zealots, claim. (I don't have anything against CICO/IIFYM in general, just those who persecute people who aren't like them.) Support matters here, not labels. Lots of you guys don't do things the exact way I do, and that is FANTASTIC. I keep learning so much and enjoy hearing about all the health improvements, SVs and NSVs. I'm here because I want everyone to succeed. And whichever road they take to get there, as long as they are happy and healthy, is a-OK with me. :heart:

I was bragging about this group on an exclusively low-carb forum yesterday. Very proud of what is happening here in the LCD. :smile:
    And slow carb!

Yes! Of course. I even told them about our slow carb folk. :smile:
    To me though, and I know that technically SoBe and slow carb aren't low-carb, it IS low-carb compared to the heinous carb numbers of just about every person I know on the SAD, so I mentally include them in the term "low-carb" as one of the many possibilities the term implies. I know that's wrong thinking. Something I need to work on. It's healthy carb, so to me that sets it down on the level of awesome that low-carb diets are. I'll work on it. :smile:
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I tend to find I get upset if uninformed people start giving there opinions related to LcHF. Its like having children, everyone that has none always knows better.

And then there are the ones who tried it for a few months, didn't stick with it, and think that means it doesn't work. I'd equate those to people who dated someone who had a kid for a few months, and give their parenting advice based on that.
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    This group is the BEST. Much love to all of you for the support, information, kindness and general awesomeness!! <3<3<3
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

What he said!! Thank you, mods, for all your hard, awesome work! :)

<3 yes tyvm mods for giving us a warm fuzzy great place to hang together eating our bacon!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

And slow carb!

Yes! Of course. I even told them about our slow carb folk. :smile:
    To me though, and I know that technically SoBe and slow carb aren't low-carb, it IS low-carb compared to the heinous carb numbers of just about every person I know on the SAD, so I mentally include them in the term "low-carb" as one of the many possibilities the term implies. I know that's wrong thinking. Something I need to work on. It's healthy carb, so to me that sets it down on the level of awesome that low-carb diets are. I'll work on it. :smile:

Lord yes. Relative to SAD, I'm eating super low carb!.
  • cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Fit Goat -- just wanted to say that the information that you presented on why counting doesn't work for you was totally fascinating. It was thoughtful, rational, well-expressed, and helped me understand why that strategy makes a lot of sense for you. I hope that i speak for all of us who still find counting to be a useful tool when i say that in no way did it cause me to think less of you.
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

OK Elmer, I will never argue with you! You're too scary :o
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Fit Goat -- just wanted to say that the information that you presented on why counting doesn't work for you was totally fascinating. It was thoughtful, rational, well-expressed, and helped me understand why that strategy makes a lot of sense for you. I hope that i speak for all of us who still find counting to be a useful tool when i say that in no way did it cause me to think less of you.

I'm glad you found it interesting, even if you don't think it applies to you. To each their own. If counting help you, in whatever way it does, then you keep doing what works for you. I do know I come across as a bit "tyrannical" at times, when it comes to things I believe in. :wink:
  • fzermer
    fzermer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I like the attitudes here...glad I found this group!
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Thanks, mods, for your hard work.
  • hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I for one am very glad there is diversity among LCD followers and we can all learn from each other many things. Each person can find the specific WOE that works best for them. Mine happens to be general keto. Others primal or paleo or Atkins and some vegetarian or vegan or pescetarian or carnivore. I have heard one of the biggest lies about LC so many times...that it's boring. I think not!