Baked Stuffed Jalepenos

DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
I got this recipe from djgreen1968. It sounded yummy and simple. (I like simple). :D I have eaten many of these pre-Keto from restaurants. They always were breaded with flour and/or had sugary things in them. But I never made one myself, until tonight.

Baked Stuffed Jalapeños

Ingredients:

Fresh Jalapeños, purchase the biggest ones you can find.
Cream Cheese (full fat of course)
Thin (normal) thickness Sliced Bacon

Directions:

Cut the stem/top off of pepper
Slice through one side the full length of the pepper
Carefully remove seeds (leave some in if you want some heat)
Pack every square inch of the cavity with cream cheese, I used about 22 grams. Don't overfill it, it should close together.

Wrap it tightly with one strip, then the second strip covering the entire length of the pepper. Some people put a tooth pick in them, I forgot, but they came out perfectly anyway.

Set on parchment paper or foil on pan and bake for 40 minutes @ 350 degrees.

I made (4) of them, my plan was to eat one or two, and refrigerate the others and take them for lunch. Guess what? I'm not eating them for lunch! LOL! :o They disappeared rather quickly! I'm think this (3) ingredient meal is going to be my once-or-twice-a-week meal from now on.

And being the food alchemist I am, I left one detail out, I like different cheeses. So, of the (4) that I made, two had cream cheese, one had 1/2 stick of mozzarella string cheese, and the last one had as much shredded Parmesan cheese I could get into it, I think it was 15 grams.

Which one did I like best? All of them!!!! I don't like cheddar cheese, but I'm sure that could be a good choice for many.

A note to all those that are afraid of hot/spicy food. They were not spicy AT ALL. Why? Two things, heat destroys/burns off the volatile chemicals that make them hot. Secondly, dairy will neutralize heat from peppers. If you ever eat a un-cooked Jalapeño, and your mouth is on fire, don't get water to dose the flames, get ice cream or milk.

Here is what they look like pre-cooked and afterwards:
ed4shprwtxk6.jpg

fq9b2ie9mvdt.jpg

The macros, hmmmm. you do the math, it will vary with the size of the pepper. CalorieKing says one gram carb for 1/2 ounce (14 grams) pepper. I forgot to weigh them, my guess they weigh 1 ounce. Bacon doesn't have any carbs, cream cheese has one or two grams.

Bon appetit!

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

Replies

• sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Mmmm, my favorite part of a recipe like that is peeling that cooked cheese off the foil, yummmmmmm.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    The heat thing...we've made poppers countless times over the past decade+. The more white membrane left in the peppers will = more heat, but some peppers are just hotter than others for no apparent reason. In the same batch I can eat one mild one, then the next one will be crazy hot, in spite of being well-cooked and filled with cheese.

Another pointer -- wear medical or food service gloves while preparing. Amazing how long those hot pepper oils can sit on the skin, even after repeated hand washings. Then one goes to rub an eyelash or speck of dust from an eye...ow!!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Yes, you can generally tell if you've gotten super spicy peppers when you cut into them...the scent will give it away. Second the gloves. I got a weird chemical type burn/irritation once from cutting them that lasted almost a week. Used milk, butter, lemon, baking soda, dawn, vinegar, and a dozen other combos to try to break the oils from my hands, and nothing helped. It was so bad that taking a shower and washing my hair for that week was crazy painful. If I don't have gloves, I'll try to use the produce bag the peppers came in as kind of a makeshift glove. It works okay.

And @DittoDan‌ How on earth can you make just four? Whenever my guy and I make this recipe, we usually make 20+ peppers worth!! LOL If we are going to all the effort, we make a bunch. And for anyone who cares, they are pretty awesome cold, too. I personally don't use toothpicks, but if you're careful, it's pretty simple to wrap the ends so they don't come undone. I only use one slice of bacon per pepper, and somethings, depending on cooking (I do them on raised trays sometimes), I have to flip them over to brown the bottom of the bacon.

I did like the idea someone else posted about broiling them at the end - I'll have to try that... Oh, and just an idea if you don't want to lose any precious cheese, when you fill them, slightly concave the cheese in just slightly lower than the edge of the pepper - and I mean slightly. It's less likely to bubble out that way.

Yum!! Now I want peppers. Since cream cheese and bacon are already in my house, and jalapenos are moderately inexpensive, this is so happening this weekend. :) My fiance will be giddy.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Try enclosing them in 1-2 oz of sausage instead of bacon some time. We call them armadillo turds :)
  • DittoDan
    edited February 2015
    @zoom2 & @knit You are so right on! In the 80's, in Texas, I grew some Jalepenos and cut them up to make my first nachos. I put them in the oven, then I had to go to the bathroom to pee. Then about 10 minutes later.....AHHHH! I'm on fire in the lower extremities! :'(:o:s LOL! Had to take a shower. My wife had a good belly laugh over that!

@knit You ask why so few...I went 500 calories over with that meal last night. :D And it was my first time, so I was just doing a test batch. They were big peppers too. Next time I'm making many more...

@Nill I will try that, it sounds yummy.... (except for the turd part. LOL!) thank you!

• sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    I'm imagining you could do the same with the little mini bell peppers sold in a bag, especially if you don't want the heat.
  • DittoDan
    sbom1 wrote: »
    I'm imagining you could do the same with the little mini bell peppers sold in a bag, especially if you don't want the heat.

We think alike. I bought some of those too when I bought the jalepenos. I will try them this weekend.

This is what I bought:

d4ywvn6oq2mz.jpg

I hope this helps,

• hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    When I tried this I failed horribly but I think they weren't cooked long enough at all.
  • nill4me
    depending on the size of your pepper, you can also cut some string cheese and put it in there, or maybe some pepper jack stick cheese.
  • nill4me
    edited February 2015
    When I tried this I failed horribly but I think they weren't cooked long enough at all.

hippy, if the failure was the bacon not cooking all the way through, you could try pre-cooking it, but leave it so its still a bit wiggly so you can still wrap it around the pepper, and then bake the peppers. You'll probably have to use toothpicks to keep it on there though. The bacon will get much crispier that way, and hopefully then the cheese won't ook out all over either. thats what usually happens to me. a pre-cook of the bacon helps that though.
  • hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Well it was weird because the recipe I used said to only cook them for like 15 mins at 400 or something so when I did them they turned out to be still incredibly spicy so I could barely eat them and I had cheese oozing and burning all over the pan and the bacon was not crispy at all, so I think next time I will try 40 mins at 350 and precooking the bacon a bit.
  • ABrownGrl
    ABrownGrl Posts: 41 Member
    Sounds so good! I've seen it on Pinterest and other blogs too. Can't believe I haven't tried them yet! As soon as my egg fast is over, I've got a growing list of recipes to try! I'm not really tired of eggs yet, but I really miss some of my favorite foods!!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    I had some of these at a Christmas party. They didn't have the bacon but they had 4 different cheeses in them. I think it was a Guy Fieri recipe. OMG were they good!!
    @sbom1- I like the way you think. Peeling the baked cheese off. Mmmmmm
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    I add in equal parts of cheddar and cream cheese and wrap half a slice of bacon around each half jalapeno. 400 for 20 minutes then under the broiler to crisp the bacon and brown the cheese. Usually eat this a couple times a month.
    Definitely wear gloves when chopping/cleaning the jalapenos though!
  • DittoDan
    cdn_beaver wrote: »
    I add in equal parts of cheddar and cream cheese and wrap half a slice of bacon around each half jalapeno. 400 for 20 minutes then under the broiler to crisp the bacon and brown the cheese. Usually eat this a couple times a month.
    Definitely wear gloves when chopping/cleaning the jalapenos though!

CDN,

I had them again tonight at my friends house. :D This time I did four new things:
    • Filled a big plastic bowl up with water and cut & de-seeded the peppers underwater (in the sink). That helped greatly!
    • I tried the sweet peppers.... (really good!)
    • We baked for a reduced time (my guess 30 minutes, then broiled them for about 5 minutes.
    • I used a normal thickness bacon strip. Apparently, last night I used "very thin" cut bacon. So I only used one slice per pepper, except for a couple really long ones.

They were so good that I am afraid to put them in my diary! LOL! I bought peppers from two different stores tonight, and again, the long cooking baked almost all the spicy heat out of them. They were super good!

• moonius
    moonius Posts: 663 Member
    @DittoDan‌ : I enjoy making poppers and have honed my recipe over the years. I like my bacon crispy so I cook the bacon in advance and crumble it into the cream cheese mixture. I also add other cheeses to the cream cheese mixture and sometimes add a little onion and garlic. I like 'em hot, so I leave some ribs and seeds inside. Then I stuff each jalapeno half with the cheese mixture and bake. The longer they bake the less heat they will have.
  • DittoDan
    moonius wrote: »
    @DittoDan‌ : I enjoy making poppers and have honed my recipe over the years. I like my bacon crispy so I cook the bacon in advance and crumble it into the cream cheese mixture. I also add other cheeses to the cream cheese mixture and sometimes add a little onion and garlic. I like 'em hot, so I leave some ribs and seeds inside. Then I stuff each jalapeno half with the cheese mixture and bake. The longer they bake the less heat they will have.

Thank you moonius. I'm gonna try your way this week.

• moonius
    moonius Posts: 663 Member
    @DittoDan‌ : You are welcome my friend!
  • DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    edited March 2015
    DittoDan wrote: »
    I got this recipe from djgreen1968. It sounded yummy and simple. (I like simple). :D I have eaten many of these pre-Keto from restaurants. They always were breaded with flour and/or had sugary things in them. But I never made one myself, until tonight.

Baked Stuffed Jalapeños

Ingredients:

Fresh Jalapeños, purchase the biggest ones you can find.
    Cream Cheese (full fat of course)
    Thin (normal) thickness Sliced Bacon

I'm seriously considering going out in the rain to make these tonight. Hmmm. Yum. Thanks much!
  • DittoDan
    moonius wrote: »

Hi Moonius,

My friend made your version for me tonight and it was splendid. I will add this to my arsenal of good tasting easy-to-make keto food!

Thank you so much.... :D