Spring into Action for March!

Options

Replies

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I can't say it any better than Snoozie. She and Becky are right on spot.

Suzy, Just never give up, it will fall off...I was always the same way, I would weigh and then get disgusted with myself and eat whatever I wanted, because I wasn't losing anyway...so what the hell....but I have vowed to Never give up and it is working!

You're doing everything right. just keep on keeping on!!

And I was really hoping I wasn't the only one that saw that as the Ugliest cup of Ice cream stuff I had ever seen....hehehe......t9409.gif....it looks like it came from the bottom of a muddy bog!!
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    LOL @ gail... yup I deliberately tried to find the most unappealing bowl of ice cream I could to keep that lid on HAHAHA. glad to know I succeeded (LOVE your little guy sticking his tongue out btw.. totally gonna steal him!) Im so thrilled for you Gail.. truly... you are making fabulous changes and reaping the benefits and I'm truly happy for you!!

BTW does chasing the washing machine as it dances across the floor count as "moving"?? (hmmm.. ok.. probably only for the machine, not me!) :o
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Sure it counts!! hahaha...Oh my goodness that brings back memories.....we totally had one of those washers that always got off balance....or it could have been the washing machine person, who would pack everything she could into that tiny washer, to finish as quick as she could...t2729.gif...hmmmm ....who could have that been...

Steal away...how do you use someone elses's funnys ? and where do you keep them? just wonderin'

• cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Check out my profile pic. .."never give up. .we can and will do this"

The scale can be your enemy or your friend.

Today could have been worse. ...or better. ..whatever. ...training day at work. ...free food. ..back on the wagon tomorrow.

Carol B)
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Gail - having no pride whatsoever, every time i see something i like (a picture, or a funny guy sticking his tongue out, i just "right click" on it, and save it to my pictures file...or i'll copy and paste it into an email and send it to myself.. I guess since i talk to myself, that explains why i have no problem emailing myself either? HA.

-
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Good morning Hatters!!

Two days left of our first week of this month's Spring into Action challenge - and with these last two being a weekend (and a weekend for me too as i'm on days off!) and i know for me weekends are sometimes when we figure we can let go a bit...but consistency truly is the key... so i thought perhaps this little blurb i came across might keep us motivated thru the weekend to finish off the week strong! Notice we're already doing almost all of the suggestions already?? yay us!!!! Everyone's been doing so well; and we still have two more whole days to rock this week so let's keep up the momentum!

Consistency: key to successful Weight loss!

Consistent spaced small meals – One of the most important things that you can do with your health in general is to keep a nice even keel with respect to your blood sugar. When you eat a donut and coffee for breakfast and then nothing until lunch then you will get a big blood sugar spike and then a drop soon after and be just dragging your way until lunch. If you eat consistently small but evenly spaced meals every couple of hours during the day then you will not have this blood sugar problem.

Consistent meal sizes – If you make sure that you eat 200 – 400 calorie meals then this will go hand in hand with the point above. Having even sized meals will mean that you are not bloated after one meal and then hungry after the next. Of course there may be a problem with dinner being a little bigger and an evening meal being a little smaller but overall this consistent eating will make you feel much better and your weight loss will be more consistent.

Consistent rest – This is important to your well being as well as the healing of your muscles after exercise. Stretch daily, sleep well most nights and if you need it a hot tub, heating pad, or massage can do wonders to get rid of those little aches and pains that may not be going away quickly and holding you back a bit from going all out when you want to.

Remember that consistency is the key. Focus on changing your lifestyle. Do not focus on "dieting". When you focus on dieting, you are looking at this whole weight loss thing as something temporary. Diets work ONLY to get those pounds off, but what are you going to do after the diet is done? "Living a healthy lifestyle is a marathon, not a short sprint down the road."

Learning How to build Consistency: There are a lot of ways you can gradually build momentum. Here are some examples

Start with something that’s pretty easy to manage and build up from there. Set a goal of one 10-minute exercise session per week. Then increase it to two 10-minute sessions. Gradually add minutes to each workout (and eventually add one or more additional workouts to your week), until you're exercising as long and as frequently as you should in order to reach your goals. The simple act of setting aside some time for exercise every day, no matter how little, and sticking to it is enough to start building the habit.

Find an accountability buddy—someone who knows about your plan and is willing to give you a push when you feel like slacking off.

Join a Team or make a Fitness Friend. It’s always harder to let someone else down than it is to let yourself off the hook.

Employ an excuse buster. Find a friend, family member whose judgment and opinion you respect. Each time you find yourself thinking about skipping an exercise session or blowing your meal plan, write down the reason for your choice. Share this reason with your excuse buster and get her honest opinion about whether the reason for your choice is reasonable or just an excuse. You’ll probably find that this makes it a lot harder for you to believe your own rationalizations.

Take it one day at a time, stay focused, and stay consistent.

• suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    Off to a great start today on my renewed lower simple carb approach! I had a great time last night at Wicked and did pretty good with my food but did indulge in a few mojitos! I'm making out my grocery list for the week and am trying to find some lower carb meal and snack options. It's going to be interesting and I'll probably be cooking two meals at dinnertime since my dear hubby loves his carbs!

I swear I still have hormone swings that affect my mood. What's up with that? I thought I was done with all that. At least I don't turn into Linda Blaire from The Exorcist...I just end up going to a pity party for one and want to eat!

It's actually a beautiful day here in Atlanta and I need to get out and walk today in addition to going grocery shopping. Gotta keep moving!

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Suzy - so glad you enjoyed your night out !! I've been known to enjoy a mojito or two myself on occasion.. or a frozen lime margarita (which is one reason I want summer to get here too hahahahaha)

I have the lovely hormonal mood swings too still.. had to laugh at your "Regan" headspin visual; I'm pretty sure I've done an impression of her once or twice at work! I have always been an emotional eater myself; any emotion will do thank you very much; celebration, sad, angry, happy - I would always reach for food to comfort myself so i know how ya feel.. it's been a tough challenge for me to change that; I've made progress over the past two years (sometimes reminding myself of that phrase "i'm not a dog, i don't need to reward myself with food!) but there are still times I absolutely want to open a family size bag of lay's wavy potato chips and climb in! :'(

Looking forward to hearing how your lowering of some of the simple carbs works out.. I'm attempting to do the same by switching out some veggies and/or proteins in place of some.. I'm having a "naked fajita" for dinner tonight LOL! (no tortilla but loads of yumminess!) Well done you!!

hit the gym this morning; funny how yesterday the ONLY thing that got me there was knowing i'd have to report in to the group that I made my goal... but today i was raring to go... doesn't matter where our motivation comes from as long as it gets us moving, eh?

rock on peeps!!16434567.png
    -
  • OldWomanRuns
    OldWomanRuns Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Oh my yes - fresh mojito brings vision of being too hot sitting on the deck after a fabulous day of working outside sipping on a tall icy glass of fresh mint mojito... I'm thinking someone is done with this winter!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    LOL @ owr!! I'll keep that visual in my head as i zip up my parka and mukluks and head out for some groceries!!! C'mon SUMMER!! t119015.gif
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Suzy, I can never be bothered to cook more than one meal, so I usually just adapt what I'm cooking so there's different things on different plates (I'd have less rice, for instance). But that's just me. I'm quite lazy when it comes to housework, and I often plan my cooking around what will creat the minimum of washing up (I don't have a dishwasher, unless you count my own fair hands!).

It's great that your new approach is going well! I think it's difficult for us older women in that we don't tend to have dramatic weight loss, but do have fluctuation, and I find that the fluctuation can cancel out any weight loss, or even make the scale go up.

Becky, your stats are so similar to mine - start weight, end weight, possible goal weight, gain after maintaining, etc. It's nice to know that somebody else has been juggling the same volume of fat as me!

As for me, this hasn't been the best of weeks - busy at work, guests, etc. and I can't even remember what my goals were. But that's OK - I allow myself some off-diet time when it fits my lifestyle. I had most of a full English breakfast this morning, because I was taking somebody out for breakfast! But then I missed lunch (I don't think I COULD have eaten lunch!). I expect to maintain/gain this week, but I do know how to get back on track.

Oh, yes, I've just remembered that the goal was about moving! Well, I haven't been able to get to the gym for a few days, but I have managed to fit in some walking and home exercise, so that's something. I've also been trying to keep moving during phonecalls, if I can. I hate to think what it sounds like on the other end of the phone.
  • Snooozie
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Vailara - you and I are soul mates when it comes to shall we say a lack of enthusiasm when it comes to cooking and housework LOL! I have been known to bake a pork chop, baby potatoes and a couple of those slice&bake cookies at the end other on the same cookie sheet at the same time :D
    -
    and yes, LOL this month's theme is "Spring into Action"; to nudge us into making daily moving of our parts a habit - and walking and home exercise TOTALLY count so well done you... as does just moving while on the phone instead of sitting! yay you!

I'm watching a flipping snowstorm going on outside my window; so much for "occasional flurries"... GRRRR!! But on the positive side it's forcing me to do the housework I so despise LOL!

Finally figured out how to change my settings here to "start my week on MONDAY".. (it was starting on Sunday) so we'll see what happens tomorrow! Enjoy the rst of the weekend hatters!

luqhtcuut7z6.jpg

• suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Vailara, I completely go off my diet when I have guests! I really need to learn how to control myself when others are here! I totally succumb to peer pressure! I hate housework and cooking but I'm lucky enough to not work outside the home so I have no excuse. It IS my job. I should really be fired by now....my dear hubby is a saint.

Snoozie, I think you're a genius in space management with your baking! Ha! I never would have thought of that! So so sorry about the snow. We were lucky enough to have wonderful weather today and I even managed to do some pre-Spring yard work! So I guess that will have to be my movement for the day!

DH and I are hiking tomorrow!
  • milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I am reading and catching up as I write. Welcome smilebhappy! Thank you everyone for your warm wishes! Vilar a great job last week with the calorie burnning. In fact everyone is doing so well.

Gail we had some pretty strong winds here Thurs how about there? Carol my son and daughter in law were keeping me informed about the weather with the snow.Days off are good by any means. Lol

Snooze you are too much you did a happy dance celebrating i guess anything is better than below

Wow Susan you did yoga with a migraine too! Hope your back and headache is improved.

I haven't lost weight nor gain yayy.
    I did increase my exercising this week.

My goals this week is to log food and exercise. Increase water intake. I love flowers I been trying to keep fresh flowers in the house another goal is to take a moment to smell the flowers.
  • Snooozie
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good morning Hatters!!!

Today's the last day of week one of our Spring into Action challenge month - it's been an awesome week for me I must say; have really enjoyed stepping it up to make my goals and will be doing mine for today this afternoon - im taking my little senior friend for a drive as its a beautiful but sunny day and after sitting for a few hours, i'll need it more then!

I will admit one day this week, the only thing that got me down to the gym was because I saw one or two others had already done theirs for the day and I thought crud.. better get my butt in gear! I guess that sorta falls into the "find an accountability buddy" theory - only I'm lucky enough to have lots of em LOL!
    -
    I am proud to say I not only met my two goals for this week, but exceeded one of em!

Week 1 goals: (2)
    :D burn 500 calories this week specifically from cardio exercise. (did 708 without todays)
    :D incorporate movements from strength training, flexibility and/or balance exercises for at least 10 minutes every day. (DONE!)

I'm pumped about week 2 coming up - have been thinking about what MOVE YER PARTS goals I am going to set; not finished yet but will be ready tomorrow to post em tomorrow. I'm starting midnights for a week tomorrow night and I hate nights now; partly because my sleep probs are worse then, and facing tuna at 3am is a toughie.. BUT.. im going to try a little attitude adjustment this time; it's a part of my world and will be for a few more years yet, so I can't use it as an excuse anymore if I truly want to make healthy eating and moving my parts every day the "norm". :D

Looking forward to hearing everyone's results from this week - I'm so impressed with everyone's efforts we have truly "sprung" into action - and looking forward to the next 21 days!!

ps Milove - I always said if I was Oprah rich, I'd had fresh flowers throughout the house every single day (and new sheets every night LOLOL)

kb34yhrn8io4.jpg

• OldWomanRuns
    OldWomanRuns Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It's a new day - a new week!! Got up this morning with renewed vigor and energy -- well, okay, I lie. Vigor and Energy may not have entered into the getting up so early with the time change. However, even with that - I'm ready to Go! Let's Move. Had prepped wonderful healthy foods and snacks for the week and planned out my movement even with appointments on Tuesday and Thursday and leaving for North Carolina on Friday a.m.

Then, BAM!!! It happened! Noooooo, my brain cried. A co-worker so proudly brought me a homemade gluten-free, soy-free chocolate cupcake that she made Just For Me..... since everyone else in the office got regular cupcakes. Well then, off to a great start! Not. Bless her little heart >:)
  • Snooozie
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Morning all..

yup as OWR said, it's a new day and a new week - week two of our 31 day SPRING INTO ACTION - MOVE YOUR PARTS EVERY DAY! challenge!

how did everyone do with the goals they set for last week? and is anyone planning a goal or two for this second week? (not that anyone has to, remember - it's all about what works or doesn't work for each of us) :D

I am going to set two "move your parts" goals for myself for this week:

1. burn 750 calories this week from intentional exercise (an increase of 250 cals from last week's goal for me)

2. at least 15 minutes every day of flexibility and/or balance exercises

Outside of the movement goals, i'm also going to focus on not wasting so much food; I was actually embarrassed at how much produce I had to throw out yesterday because I didn't use it. My diary may be a little wonky for the next few days as I try to make sure I use up what's still in there! i'm also going to continue working on lowering my intake of simple carbs this week, which will be a tough one for me during nights but I CAN do it.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    OWR - it was so sweet of your coworker to bring you a special cupcake; but I understand your mixed feelings about it LOL.. my own personal rule of thumb is if it's store bought, not a chance, but if it's home made and something I really enjoy and it's totally calorie worthy, I'm in! if you decide to have it, enjoy every bite! It isn't going to impact at all on your progress because it's just an exception to the rule of your now "normal" eating.. and if you decide to ditch it instead. a small word of advice; wait til u get home to throw it out.. I tossed something once at work cause I didn't want it and didn't want to hurt their feelings, and my co worker saw it in the garbage LOL! :D Took a lot of splainin' and dancing (and yes a big old lie) to get out of that one! :D
  • Snooozie
    Options
    zy7scbvg4pb1.png

Week Two begins, Hatters! :D

We all made great strides (pardon the pun!) in moving our parts last week; including both the physical efforts AND/OR the mental effort in starting to realize why moving every day is SO important for us, AND beginning to figure out what works for us and what doesn't.

We're beginning to understand that intentional, sustained movement of all our parts every single day is just as important to our overall health as what we put in our mouth; how we fuel our bodies. I read something last week that helped put things in perspective for me - I don't exercise to burn calories, I exercise my body so I can DO the activities I enjoy. I'm discovering the truth in that statement by the aches and pains I'm having after last week; realizing just how little i have moved my parts in the past and how it's affecting my ability to move comfortably now! So i see the ouches as progress - and i know if i continue to move em every day, those parts will eventually start moving painlessly and effortlessly which will in turn allow me to do more of the physical activity I enjoy!

Losing the excess fat i carry is what brought me here originally though, and I want to see progress in my weight loss too! Which can be a little frustrating as we know; especially with adding in all the extra movement last week, some of us might be feeling like it's all well and good to start moving our parts, and yes we understand the importance of it, but I wanna see the pounds coming off too!! (And if youre anything like me, logic aside, I want it now LOL). I found this little excerpt online while i was surfing the net, and thought it might be helpful as we head into week two to remind us that what we are doing IS working - we ARE making progress and the scale is just another tool; not the be all and end all of how we are doing..

So if your're feeling a little discouraged about not seeing any immediate results, here's a little something to remind you YOURE DOING GREAT!! The changes we are making ARE working... and as long as keep putting in the effort, we will see the results we want for ourselves!! Keep moving, keep taking care of yourself, and keep this in mind as we move into week two!

How Your Scale Lies:

Water weight. Did you know that a cup of water weighs half a pound (kg)? Water the body refuses to give up can add up to scale lies. There are several ways your body likes to trick the scale by holding onto water.
    ⦁ Hormones. Unbalanced hormone levels in the body caused by diet snafus, stress (elevated cortisol), or natural gender fluctuations (ovulation or the evil TOM) can cause the body to hold onto water.
    ⦁ Fat loss. Believe it or not, when we lose fat, the body sometimes fills the empty fat cells with water before letting it go. The fat cells are freaking out because they are now Empty-Nesters, and they aren't happy about it.
    ⦁ DOMS. Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. Or other injuries. When you strain your muscles, they become stronger by tearing and then healing. This tearing of the muscle fibers causes inflammation in the form of water retention. When your muscles heal, the water will be shed by the body.
    ⦁ Too much sodium. If you've eaten a lot more sodium than usual, this can cause your body to hold onto water.

Other Issues Affecting Weight:
    Water weight isn't the only way your scale can be tricked.
    Here are some other common reasons your scale gives you grief.

⦁ Homeostasis. A big word to say that your body wants to keep the status quo. It want things to stay the same. When we change things up too much for its liking, it will defensively hold onto weight until it is sure it can handle what we've done. For example, it is not uncommon for people to experience a mini-stall after dropping 10, 20 or 30 pounds. The body “pauses” to evaluate, before showing progress on the scale again.
    ⦁ Medications. Some medications are known to cause stalls or even weight gain. Talk to your doctor if you suspect this is the case. You may be able to adjust dosage or change to a different drug if it is too severe a side effect. Or it may just be something you'll have to battle with if the drug can't be changed.

What Can I Do About a Lying Scale?
    The number on the scale isn't the only character in our weight loss story. The scale lies. So how do we see the truth? The scale is going to bounce all around like a kangaroo on crack. It will go up, down, up, down. Weight loss is not going to be linear. Your chart will at times look like the line on an EKG. And that's perfectly okay, as long as the overall trend is downward. What you need to do, for your own sanity, is read a different character's story.

Our Other Characters:
    ⦁ Measurements. Regularly keep your measurements. Grab a measuring tape and every week or two and keep track of what your body is physically doing. When your body is holding onto water for the above reasons, or you have gained muscle, often you will have lost inches, even if the scale has bounced up or showed no change.
    ⦁ Pictures. Take progress pics of yourself every few weeks. Using this in tandem with your measurements will show you in a tangible way how far you have come, even if the scale hasn't changed much. Some people can finally see in pictures what they can't see in the mirror.
    ⦁ Clothing Fit. Use how your clothes feel on you as a guide. Often, if you are tracking well and keeping your calories in check, but the scale is being a twit, chances are your clothes will start to get loose in places or even just look better on your body.
    ⦁ Health. How do you feel? So what if the scale isn't moving like gangbusters? You are getting healthier and feeling better. That is a NSV in itself.

A Word about Patience
    Patience has got to be one of the hardest things for someone wanting to see a positive change. Especially for those of us who want the weight off us YESTERDAY! But patience is exactly what we need during this time. Time is going to pass anyway, regardless of what we do. But change will happen if we take the necessary steps. Patience isn't a virtue; it is a skill. And one sorely tested while we are making healthy sacrifices. Exercise your patience, and it WILL get stronger. The scale will dither and lie, but you can defeat that Liar. Be gritty. Be doggedly determined. Be consistent. Time will take care of the rest.

• seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Good morning Hatters! I've been reading everyone's posts and catching up- looks like everyone is doing a great job :)

My goals for this week:
    - talk to dog class instructor about accommodations so I don't send my back into spasms this week
    - Take one day at a time. I am going up to a resort in Phoenix on Saturday to see my visiting sister and BIL, which I know will throw me off my plan. This makes me feel like giving up on the whole week, so I am going to focus on each day one at a time.
    - Stay in the green zone calorie wise with a minimum of 20% protein macro units daily 5/7 days
    - Increase intentional exercise to 3 times this week