Measuring tape...

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Sometimes we lose inches in places we don't measure. Around our knees. (It's amazing how freaking fat my knees were!) Our ankles. A couple inches higher or lower than our calves. Between our waist and our hips. Our neck. Wrists. Upper thighs. And... ahem...other places that don't see the light of day. Lol. l.

Ha! So true, used to wonder why my shoe size has gone up over the years! Thought it was pregnancy spread, but they never went down again. :blush:

I went from an 8.5 to a 10.5 while pregnant, and now I'm in a 9.5... Mine was part spread, part fat...LOL
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we lose inches in places we don't measure. Around our knees. (It's amazing how freaking fat my knees were!) Our ankles. A couple inches higher or lower than our calves. Between our waist and our hips. Our neck. Wrists. Upper thighs. And... ahem...other places that don't see the light of day. Lol.

I personally take progress pics, too. I never ever see changes in the mirror.

Unfortunately, we've got to use patience. It's hard. But sometimes we just need to wait it out.

And here's another thought. It's possible that if your carbs are always on point and your calls are low that you might not be eating enough cals. I just slowly upped mine 150 over the past 2 weeks and I'm out of the mini-stall.

Ditto that Bacon. I think we all are (to one degree or another) the stay puff guy! (LOL!)

xp1eu0dvfhy8.jpg

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I just got this nifty tape to help with accuracy (it cinches itself to the appropriate point). Healthometer digital tape measure. Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008CENXCS/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1425404795&sr=1&keywords=health+o+meter+digital+tape+measure

$11.63
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Good news -- that fat in your hips and thighs is good for you!

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/59/10/2465.full

In recent years, it has become clear that not only is lower-body fat less harmful than abdominal fat, but it actually provides protection against coronary heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    So much for that thigh gap everyone wants. ;)

Measured the belly again today (didn't pass out, either!), and I'm down an inch from this time last week. Took measurements for the first time in forever for neck, biceps, waist, hips, and thigh. Hoping to at least see change in the neck and biceps, but I do already feel like sleeves are more comfortable in all these winter shirts.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Oh, @octobubbles, I hadn't thought about that! If I lose my extra arm fat, I'll be able to wear regular shirts again!! Great job on your waist measurement! (and on not passing out!!)

@wabmester, yup, turns out a high waist to hip ratio is actually good! I can now thank my mom for my big bottom. "Fat bottomed girls they make the rockin' world go 'round..." (or whatever it says--I suck at lyrics).
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    @sbom1, that is so cool! I want one.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    Oh, @octobubbles, I hadn't thought about that! If I lose my extra arm fat, I'll be able to wear regular shirts again!! Great job on your waist measurement! (and on not passing out!!)

@wabmester, yup, turns out a high waist to hip ratio is actually good! I can now thank my mom for my big bottom. "Fat bottomed girls they make the rockin' world go 'round..." (or whatever it says--I suck at lyrics).

Yup, @Mami1976D You got it!! And we do... make it go 'round... WINK
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options

Who knew? Freddy was a bacon addict.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnjF1O4eH0

• DianaElena76
    edited March 2015
    Options
    And then this morning, I measured just my waist quickly (because it felt/looked slightly smaller to me), and it was down another inch. How is that even possible? I still look 5 months pregnant, LOL. Maybe because it was a morning measurement before eating anything? I'll double-check tonight when I get home, but I did it a few times, and even with the tape pretty loose it was down at least another half inch.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Just because you've still got some of the baby belly pooch doesn't mean it isn't trending down on the backside, too... Remember when we measure waist, it goes all the way around, even where we can't see. I would think it is a general slimming... Stubborn belly weight can sometimes be the slowest to leave because especially for women, that is the body's first natural storage area, and also, since you've exercised those "muscles" regularly with having four kiddos, yours might be a little less "springy..." LOL
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Stubborn belly weight can sometimes be the slowest to leave because especially for women, that is the body's first natural storage area, and also, since you've exercised those "muscles" regularly with having four kiddos, yours might be a little less "springy..." LOL

Haha, "springy"... and yeah, you're right... to say the least! I haven't had a flat tummy since before I had my first baby, and it's gotten worse with each one. I've heard breastfeeding also makes people's bodies cling to fat around the midsection. But really, I was blessed with good skin in that we (my family) tend to look younger than we are, but I was NOT blessed with good skin in that I have had stretch marks since 20 weeks along with my first baby and that abdominal area has been "flabby" ever since (even with 11.5 years between my first and second pregnancies).
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    The reason your body stores fat while breastfeeding is that your baby needs lots of fat for proper brain development. This is your body's built in defense about however you choose to eat. :)
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

In recent years, it has become clear that not only is lower-body fat less harmful than abdominal fat, but it actually provides protection against coronary heart disease and type 2 diabetes.

Score one for me!
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    wabmester wrote: »

Score one for me!

LOL, me too!
  • DianaElena76
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sometimes we lose inches in places we don't measure. Around our knees. (It's amazing how freaking fat my knees were!) Our ankles. A couple inches higher or lower than our calves. Between our waist and our hips. Our neck. Wrists. Upper thighs. And... ahem...other places that don't see the light of day. Lol.

Now this is interesting. I'm sitting at my desk in front of my computer like I always do, and in my periphery I see some dark spots on my wrists. When I look at them, I see an indentation that wasn't there even yesterday--those dark spots are actually shadows. So yeah, I guess I lost weight in my wrists!
  • rachel0923
    rachel0923 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have only been measuring my waist, I do it at my belly button for consistency. I've lost about 50 lbs and 9 inches off my waist. Surprisingly I wear the same bra size, but think I did lose density in that area, just still need the same size from all the babies I nursed...
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I've only been measuring my tummy at the fattest part, but the tape now has difficulty sitting on that spot and is trying to come upwards into (what will one day be) my 'waist'. My bangle has been my best indicator of weight loss because it used to only move less than 1" up and down my arm, now it's nearer to 2".
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    How is that even possible? I still look 5 months pregnant, LOL.

LOL don't question it! My measurement is still dropping, but like you I don't feel like I look all that different yet. Personally I have to remind myself I'm starting this WOE from my highest weight on record, so losing an inch and a half now isn't going to make my belly flat like it did back when I started low carb from a weight that was 10 pounds lighter!
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Good point @octobubbles. I'm heavier than I've ever been except during pregnancy; I'm actually a good 30 pounds heavier than I was AT THE END of my first couple pregnancies--and I started out overweight then too. So I need to be patient and not expect to lose belly fat as quickly and obviously as I did back then.