FAQ for the FAT (beta)

baconslave
baconslave Posts: 7,016 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
Here is what I have so far. Wanted it up yesterday but my internet has been STOOPID the past few days. That's a subject I'm not elaborating on as I'll end up in a flaming rant.

Anyway... it isn't finished. I need to work on the PUFA/MUFA bit a little but haven't been able to get any research done. That interwebz....grrrr.

If you have any links to add, or object to the quality of the ones I have used, and/or have better ones, do share. Don't worry overmuch about typos for now, but if you have content suggestions, please speak up. I also haven't added lard rendering and/or ghee prep or the other fringe suggestions yet cuz...internet and sick family.

The Skinny on Fat:
Silencing Your Fear of Dietary Fats

Isn't Fat Bad?
Simply: No. The word “fat” has been given a negative connotation. Fat isn't bad in and of itself. Being obese or overweight is bad for your health. But dietary fat is not. For decades doctors, government policy makers, and scientists have perpetuated the “fat myth” based on faulty studies or deliberate misinterpretation of studies. There is NO evidence that dietary fat makes you fat, or gives you heart disease. Your body is largely composed of saturated fats. Your cells NEED them. Even healthy digestive function relies on ingesting enough fat. Higher-fat diets help in the healthy function of your body. Restricting your fat intake will only hinder it.

Will I Gain Weight Eating a Lot of Fat?
No. Dietary fat doesn't magically turn into body fat. The body digests the fat, turning it into ketones which it burns. Insulin is the hormone in the body that regulates fat storage. It stores excess glucose as fat. If you eat to the point that your calories are ridiculously excessive, your body will store the excess energy as fat. But a high-fat diet makes it harder to overeat, because it is often so satiating that you are usually full before you reach that point. Protein and fat in your diet team up to keep your appetite satisfied. Don't fear the fat!

For a more detailed discussion on the “fat-phobia myth,” we recommend you watch the following videos:
Dietary Villains
Fathead
The Limits of Scientific Evidence and the Ethics of Dietary Guidelines- 60 Years of Ambiguity

Fat and cholesterol are necessary for your body to function properly. Eating fat and cholesterol doesn't cause your arteries to clog. High fat levels are healthy for your body. Your body makes 80% of the cholesterol found inside it. It is an important substance for the functioning of your body. If you eat less cholesterol, your body makes more to compensate. What is important is the kind of cholesterol made by your body. HDLs (the “Good” cholesterol) are raised by LCHF diets and high-density LDLs are decreased. While low-density LDLs might possibly be higher, these larger particles are benign.

For a better understanding on the complicated world of cholesterol, watch this video:
The Straight Dope on Cholesterol

Are There Bad Fats?
It is now becoming common knowledge that saturated fats are not the villains we thought. Animal fats and monounsaturated fats, also called MUFAs (like the natural fats found in olives and avocados) are quite healthy for you. However, some fats are BAD. Polyunsaturated fats, also called PUFAs, (canola oil, corn oil, vegetable oil-basically oils that require massive processing to obtain) are not good for you. They contain unsafe levels of Omega-6s that can cause damaging inflammation (due to it becoming oxidized), which is exacerbated by high temperatures in cooking. Stick with saturated and monounsaturated fats, and watch which saturated oils are ok to use in cooking, and your body will stay healthy and happy.

The following graphics might make the determination of which plant oils are safe more simple for you and let you know the best conditions for their use.
Monounsaturated vs. Polyunsaturated
Oils for Hot vs Cold Uses

For a more in-depth discussion about the Omega-6/Omega-3 ratio, try this article: http://authoritynutrition.com/optimize-omega-6-omega-3-ratio/

How Much Fat Should I Eat?
Specific plans may have specific numbers or percentages for you to target, however, in general, this is the rule you should follow:
  • Eat under your carbs.
  • Eat your protein target based on your height/weight and activity level.
  • Fill the rest of your intake with fat to satiety.

If you are having difficulty with getting enough fats in, look below for suggestions.

How Can I Get More Fat into My Diet?
It seems overwhelming to us, since we were beaten over the head with fat-phobia all our lives, but it is easy to sneak more fat into your diet.
  • Make/use fat-heavy sauces and dips, on both your meats and veggies, that are made with olive oil, animal fats, butter, or other low-carb diary like cheese, heavy cream, cream cheese, or sour cream. Or a combination of them. They are super delicious.
  • Adding meats and fat-dense foods like avocados and nuts can help. (Be careful about nuts, some carry higher quantities of Omega-6s.)
  • Pick the fattier (and also often less expensive) cuts of meat.
  • Sneak coconut oil, butter, heavy cream, and/or MCT oil into your coffee or smoothies.
  • Make some fat bombs. They are tasty little fat-doses that are easy to incorporate in to your diet. They could be sweet or savory.

For recipes and ideas, peruse our collection of low-carb recipe sites. Scroll down the LaunchPad to the section "Recipe Websites and LCD Group Member Recipes".

Wait. If I eat Nothing but Fat and Protein, Won't I Have Bathroom Trouble?
That depends. If you are worried about not having enough fiber, don't be. Eating the right amount of fat actually keeps things moving. Many LCHF folks report that while they do find a decrease in the frequency of BMs, they find themselves quite comfortable. While you are adjusting, a dose of a magnesium supplement or increasing your fat can help keep things going smoothly, should you experience any constipation. Be careful to make sure you are drinking enough water as well.

That said, there are some people who have a harder time switching from a very low-fat diet to a high-fat diet, in the form of gastric distress and/or, to attempt to put it delicately, living on the toilet. It's not practical, or ideal, to immediately start ingesting 5 TBSP of MCT oil or coconut oil. That will surely acquaint you with the porcelain throne quite thoroughly. Those fat bombs may be heavenly, but overindulging in them may feel more than a bit like hell. Ease into adding your fats, a bit at a time, maybe a tsp at a time for those more sensitive. Doing this will keep your bathroom time to a productive minimum.

What if I Have Digestive Issues? Can I Do Low-Carb?
Many people find that once they remove the carbs from their diet they are much better able to process other foods. Many who had trouble with fats are suddenly able to ingest them with less difficulty. Many digestive complaints, including colitis and IBS and GERD, are often resolved once excessive carbs are eliminated from your diet. Grains cause irritation in the digestive track. That's how fiber gets your intestines to lubricate and remain regular. Fats are absorbed without irritation, creating a natural lubricating process, to keep everything moving without upset or damage. Don't be afraid to start a low-carb way of eating. It may provide the healing your body, and digestive system, has been crying out for.

Anyway, there's at least a little something up.

Replies

• Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    I didn't check out all the links but the text sounds great.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Wonderful! Love it! I'll link this on my favorite keto sites blog. Keep up the good work!

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    That is very well written! I might include some information about how fat affects bathroom productivity.

You might also include quantities of how much fat might cause a meal overload or a daily overload (for me, I've not yet reached it, but I heard tell of someone who ate an entire batch of fat bombs in one sitting and made themselves sick).

Another thing I'm curious about is if there are articles available about the actual dietary "engine" conversion process, from carb-burning to fat-burning, how long this takes, and the damage that "traditional 'cheats'" can do to the conversion process, etc.

Sorry to keep going on, but many people who have difficulty digesting fats on a SAD diet have that problem because their body gets worn the heck out by processing carbs first, leaving heartburn and all kinds of gastro-distress. But, when you remove most of those pesky carbs, the body processes the fat more efficiently and most people have minimal problems remain, if any. I fall into this category. Fats made me sick and gave me floating acid problems and all kinds of mess. Now that I've dropped the carbs, fats don't give me the same problems.

If I think of any other questions, I'll let you know.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Love it!
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    I might add in that our body is largely made of saturated fats, all of our cell membranes need them. What we give the body can help or hinder this process.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    That seems pretty comprehensive to me, well done and much appreciated.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Absolutely fantastic! Interesting, succinct, accurate and helpful, thank you so much! Could you perhaps just put 'coconut oil' rather than 'CO' though? It took me a moment to work that through and I have a jar of CO on my kitchen bench 24/7 ;)
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Might I also recommend something
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    That is very well written! I might include some information about how fat affects bathroom productivity.

You might also include quantities of how much fat might cause a meal overload or a daily overload (for me, I've not yet reached it, but I heard tell of someone who ate an entire batch of fat bombs in one sitting and made themselves sick).

Another thing I'm curious about is if there are articles available about the actual dietary "engine" conversion process, from carb-burning to fat-burning, how long this takes, and the damage that "traditional 'cheats'" can do to the conversion process, etc.

Sorry to keep going on, but many people who have difficulty digesting fats on a SAD diet have that problem because their body gets worn the heck out by processing carbs first, leaving heartburn and all kinds of gastro-distress. But, when you remove most of those pesky carbs, the body processes the fat more efficiently and most people have minimal problems remain, if any. I fall into this category. Fats made me sick and gave me floating acid problems and all kinds of mess. Now that I've dropped the carbs, fats don't give me the same problems.

Along the same lines, can we please put a warning about suddenly adding 5 tbsp of MCT or coconut oil to your diet?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Twibbly wrote: »

Along the same lines, can we please put a warning about suddenly adding 5 tbsp of MCT or coconut oil to your diet?

What does this do, because I kind have, any my body went all kinds of crazy??!
  • Mistizoom
    Twibbly wrote: »

You can have detox symptoms and/or severe gastric distress from adding too much coconut oil/MCT oil too fast.
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    This is awesome. You're awesome!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member

Disaster pants! happened to me... was not fun.
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    edited March 2015
    baconslave: Lovely job! My favorite topic, eating all the tasty fat.

camtosh wrote: »
    Disaster pants! happened to me... was not fun.

I'm stealing that. (*) Caffeine is also a stimulant for me, so sometimes BPC works too well. Taught me to pay attention!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Is this a FAQ for "the fat" or "about fat" ?
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Thanks Baconslave for the information provided. I have one question. I make my own yogurt and have stopped eating it on LCHF because, I don't no why. I suppose, to many carbs. How about really high fat yogurt? :'(
  • Mistizoom
    yturie47 wrote: »
    Thanks Baconslave for the information provided. I have one question. I make my own yogurt and have stopped eating it on LCHF because, I don't no why. I suppose, to many carbs. How about really high fat yogurt? :'(

Most of the carbs in yogurt are in the whey, so if you make your own yogurt from full fat milk and drain it (make "yogurt cheese") you will get rid of a lot of the carbs.
  • baconslave
    yturie47 wrote: »

I don't know your carb-ceiling. That makes it tricky to advise. If you really want your high-fat yogurt you'll need to make sure it fits your carb budget. IMO, if dairy doesn't stall you, and you can fit it in your carb total without having to "do without" of too many of your other essential nutrients, then I say go for it. Otherwise, just make it an occasional indulgence.
  • baconslave
    Your suggestions and replies have been noted. I'm still struggling with internet issues. I feel like I'm on dial-up all over again. Working on the additions.
  • baconslave
    Sorry it has taken me so long to get to this. The web is temporary cooperating.

Unfortunately that is an individual threshold depending on the person. I can eat a fair amount of fat in a meal before I have issues. Others might need much less to send them running to the bathroom.

Good question. That's not my area of expertise though it's on my “to read” list. I'm sure DragonWolf or Goat could direct you to those resources. Though off-hand I would say Keto-Clairity or the works of Phinney and Volek would contain much of this information. I think the P&V titles are in the Launch Pad. However, when "conference call" hours are over, I'll have a look-see for myself. This might be a little "over the head" of the scope of this FAQ, but I'll see what I can come up with to add to the more "sciency" sections of the LaunchPad.

Roger that. Tis done.

The new changes are up in the OP. Still working. Will tackle the unsaturated fats next. If anyone has a suggestion for good links on fat rendering or the ghee bit, please do reply.

Thx. :smile:
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Nice.
  • baconslave
    Okie dokie, artichoke-y, folks. The Fat FAQ is live and linked to the Launch Pad.

Should you detect any oopsies or think of something, now or in the future, that needs added, reply here or PM me.

Any opinions on which FAQ I should fight with next? Ketones or Stall-Busting or something else?

Happy LCing fellow Fat-o-philes. :mrgreen:

• KnitOrMiss
    Ketones, please!! I'd love to learn more than my rudimentary understandings!! :)
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Thank you for your outstanding efforts Baconslave. Heading out to the yard but will read it this evening.

I second Knit. I would love to learn more on ketones.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Thank you for your outstanding efforts Baconslave. Heading out to the yard but will read it this evening.

I second Knit. I would love to learn more on ketones.

and I second @shadesofidaho Thanks, @baconslave!!!! Your work has been fabulous, along with all the other moderators! I've no idea how you've the time. :)
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Thank you for this great information, Baconslave. Very helpful! I'd like to learn more about the importance (or not) of tracking macros. Thanks.
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    (*) Kudos to Baconslave on comprehensive information regarding the good, the bad, and the ugly fats in our food :) I am a willing student!

If anyone is interested - In regard to fats I have a couple of comments. I stopped at a local Mexican grocer today and sure enough they had little containers of fresh lard for sale. I bought a pint (lb) for $1.50. Also I posted recently about yogurt in LCHF. I made a batch last night using half and half. This morning I tried it with blueberries. Very thick and creamy, 8 carbs for the yogurt serving of 6 ounces. That will not go over well with the keto people but I am still not sure where I want to draw the line on carbs for me.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    @ Baconslave - thank you, you've done an amazing job!!! Any topic next is fine with me - they're all really interesting when discussed in depth.

@yturie47 - don't worry about that figurative 'line on carbs'. You will know when/if you want to go lower, and if you don't then you're obviously happy where you are and should stay there ;)
  • baconslave
    @ Baconslave - thank you, you've done an amazing job!!! Any topic next is fine with me - they're all really interesting when discussed in depth.

@yturie47 - don't worry about that figurative 'line on carbs'. You will know when/if you want to go lower, and if you don't then you're obviously happy where you are and should stay there ;)

Yeah really. I agree with GrannyMayOz.

Who cares about the keto people? Do what's best for you.
    Pssst. I'm a keto-people. Don't tell! lol! :wink:

Roger that on the ketones.
    I'm already looking for my resources.

Thank you for this great information, Baconslave. Very helpful! I'd like to learn more about the importance (or not) of tracking macros. Thanks.

I'll put that the queue. And in the meantime I'll find a link or two that might address it for you. Give me a couple days. Today is gonna be a busy one.