craving sweets

Options
I am on day 9 of the low carb/atkins diet and really craving sweets. I feel like Im going to cave in

Replies

• ifaber
    ifaber Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I just stumbled upon a milk chocolate candy bar that is no sugar added and tastes GREAT! Its Simply Lite Milk Chocolate. Its low carb with only 2g of net effective carbs per serving. So I have eaten a serving of that. And then sometimes I eat the chocolate mousse tempations with some sugar free whipped cream by Land o lakes...delish! Satisfies my sweet tooth but without the sugar.
  • that_Va_chick
    Options
    I just had a piece of the wrigleys delight chocolate chip mint gum.. I hope that will not throw me off. It had 2g of alc. sugar but no sugar.
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if I'm craving sweets a spoonful of peanut butter will get that craving under control. I also eat foods with sugar alcohols sometimes. It doesn't seem to stall me that much, but I guess it varies from person to person.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    close enough cinnamon toast crunch:

-Bag of plain Pork rinds
    -melted butter
    -stevia packets
    -cinnamon

Pour pork rinds onto flat baking sheet pan. Melt butter and sprinkle over rinds. Next sprinkle 1 or 2 packets of stevia evenly on melted butter. add dashes of cinnamon. Bam! Close enough!

If you want too you can put some in a bowl and add 1 cup almond milk unsweetened.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I am on day 9 of the low carb/atkins diet and really craving sweets. I feel like Im going to cave in

Those cravings will pass (at least mostly), but there are definitely keto-friendly ways to satisfy them too. I'll give you my two favorites.

The first one is a lot like chocolate mousse. I use 6-7 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream, 1 tablespoon of baking cocoa, half a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and about 15 drops of liquid stevia. Whip like whipped cream. This recipe has 1 net carb.

The second one is just whipped cream and raspberries, but it makes a nice treat, and has around 5-7 net carbs with a raspberry serving between 110-140 grams (quite a lot). I make the whipped cream as described above, but without the cocoa.

My diary is open to friends. :flowerforyou:
  • that_Va_chick
    Options

-Bag of plain Pork rinds
    -melted butter
    -stevia packets
    -cinnamon

Pour pork rinds onto flat baking sheet pan. Melt butter and sprinkle over rinds. Next sprinkle 1 or 2 packets of stevia evenly on melted butter. add dashes of cinnamon. Bam! Close enough!

If you want too you can put some in a bowl and add 1 cup almond milk unsweetened.

mmmmmmmmmmm. that sounds so good. Thank you for that!!
  • kellydeutsch1
    kellydeutsch1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Cool Whip and a little bit of unsweetened cocoa powder...for the chocoholics out there!
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    -Bag of plain Pork rinds
    -melted butter
    -stevia packets
    -cinnamon

Mmmmmmm...completely forgot about doing this. When I used to make them I didn't even bother with the baking sheet thing, just tossed the pork rinds in a ziploc bag with the cinnamon "drizzle" and enjoyed.

Thanks for the reminder on this! :-)
  • tru2one
    Options

When I first started low carbing I was following Atkins pretty closely and read alot of his work. A book I'd recommend is his "VitaNutrient Solution" which goes into a lot of detail about nutritional supplements for various issues that aren't responding 100% to diet alone.

He recommends taking the amino acid L-Glutamine along with some healthy fats (A tbsp of cream cheese does it for me, sometimes sweetened w/ stevia or splenda and a little cocoa powder) to get your cravings in check.

I don't get sweet cravings very often, but this has always worked for me...usually within 30 minutes. Hope that helps!
  • tru2one
    Options

One more thing...after checking your diary I think you could readjust your fat to protein levels. More fat, less protein. If you're taking in more protein than your bod wants or needs, it'll handle the surplus much in the same way as too many carbs (ie: start the craving machine up again). You're better off using full fat cheeses, not being shy w/ your oils and butters, etc.

I've had to re-learn the best approach to low carb for myself recently, and this was an eye-opener for me. :-)
  • that_Va_chick
    Options

One more thing...after checking your diary I think you could readjust your fat to protein levels. More fat, less protein. If you're taking in more protein than your bod wants or needs, it'll handle the surplus much in the same way as too many carbs (ie: start the craving machine up again). You're better off using full fat cheeses, not being shy w/ your oils and butters, etc.

I've had to re-learn the best approach to low carb for myself recently, and this was an eye-opener for me. :-)

do you know what my macros should read?
  • kellydeutsch1
    kellydeutsch1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There's also a good website for a lot of good, low-carb ideas: http://genaw.com/lowcarb/
  • LowCarb4Life
    Options
    Thanks for this tip. I second the Atkins Vita Nutrient Solution book which is super full of info but it's more of a reference book to look up a specific issue instead of a read from cover-to-cover. You can get overwhelmed by attempting to follow ALL his advice as there is so much. :-)
    I had limited uccess with larger doses of Chromium Picolinate (I have heard thare are some liquid? ones that are better absorbed). Have you tried any L-Carnitine for weight loss help?
  • LowCarb4Life
    Options
    oops, I was quoting "Tru2One" from above
  • that_Va_chick
    Options
    Have you tried any L-Carnitine for weight loss help?

I havent...Not sure what is is. Sorry
  • tru2one
    Options
    do you know what my macros should read?

Not a one-size-fits all, and I"m sure others will chime in with their macros, too. It's variable for each person and kind of like your own little science experiment to get the right numbers for you, your body, your lifestyle, etc. I think I have my macros worked out to something like 5% carbs, 70% fat, and 25% protein. I don't hit that every day, mind you, but those are the parameters I shoot for and it's something that I can do over the long haul. :-)

I'm 5'11", large frame, and currently 226. My ultimate goal is 175. I'm shooting for a loss of 1.5 per week. I'm attempting at least 20 min of activity, 5 days a week. Here's what I have my daily food goals set for:

Calories 1620
    Carbs 20 (I do subtract fiber carbs, but not sugar alcohols to try to hit this)
    Fat 126
    Protein 101

I'm still new myself at the higher fat/moderate protein thing, so still learning. I just know it's helped a lot so far with my focus and keeping the cravings at bay.
  • tru2one
    Options
    Thanks for this tip. I second the Atkins Vita Nutrient Solution book which is super full of info but it's more of a reference book to look up a specific issue instead of a read from cover-to-cover. You can get overwhelmed by attempting to follow ALL his advice as there is so much. :-)
    I had limited uccess with larger doses of Chromium Picolinate (I have heard thare are some liquid? ones that are better absorbed). Have you tried any L-Carnitine for weight loss help?

Have NOT tried L-Carnitine recently...I think I used it years ago but now I can't even remember why. LOL

I do take Chromium Picolinate daily though (just recommended dose)...among about 7 or 8 others. I can't remember all of them off the top of my head, but plan on starting to log them daily w/ my food very soon.
  • dawnmarie1115
    dawnmarie1115 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I like Ricotta Cheese, splenda and cocoa powder. It tastes like Chocolate Mousse.
  • LowCarb4Life
    Options
    Great idea. For me, although I love Ricotta, it seems I need less protein and more fat to stay happy on the plan...and to be able to stick to it consistently, thereby losing weight however fast or slow. So I must be really carb sensitive. This seemed so counter-intuitive to me for the longest time because...fat makes us fat right? Now, it's clear that higher fat items (80/15/5-ish) keep me much more satiated and less likely to break out. So...I would need a cheese that is higher in fat and lower in carbs than even full-fat Ricotta...like cream cheese or a lower-carb brand of mascarpone (a main ingredient in tiramisu so what's not to like).

Unfortunately, because fat is so calorie-dense, and i'm also counting calories (at about 1,800/day right now but trying to push down to 1,500-1,600) this means I eat less of whatever i'm eating..and boy high fat food goes down easy if i'm not careful. But this type of food also fills me up quicker due to the added fat. I would never have believed this could be true as I was dependant on volume before this...so I had to raise blood ketones to a good level for a few months to see this (hopefully lasting) change take hold. My mind still gets shocked and I need to remind myself constantly that it will be ok to "add fat" because this meal "just doesn't have enough". :-)
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options

-Bag of plain Pork rinds
    -melted butter
    -stevia packets
    -cinnamon

How is it possible that I've never heard of this?!!
    I am going to try it this week! Thanks for the tip.