Replies

• WalkingAway2013
    Options
    close enough cinnamon toast crunch:

-Bag of plain Pork rinds
    -melted butter
    -stevia packets
    -cinnamon

Pour pork rinds onto flat baking sheet pan. Melt butter and sprinkle over rinds. Next sprinkle 1 or 2 packets of stevia evenly on melted butter. add dashes of cinnamon. Bam! Close enough!

If you want too you can put some in a bowl and add 1 cup almond milk unsweetened.
    How is it possible that I've never heard of this?!!
    I am going to try it this week! Thanks for the tip.

I never heard of it either... Then again I feel really dumb as I've never even heard of pork rinds and never seen anywhere around here that sell them :blushing:
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options

-Bag of plain Pork rinds
    -melted butter
    -stevia packets
    -cinnamon

Pour pork rinds onto flat baking sheet pan. Melt butter and sprinkle over rinds. Next sprinkle 1 or 2 packets of stevia evenly on melted butter. add dashes of cinnamon. Bam! Close enough!

If you want too you can put some in a bowl and add 1 cup almond milk unsweetened.

I never heard of it either... Then again I feel really dumb as I've never even heard of pork rinds and never seen anywhere around here that sell them :blushing:

Pork rinds make the perfect snack for keto. Avg 6g fat, 8g proteins, 0 Carbs. Usually find them in the chip sections of stores.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I love atkins bars and quest bars. however I realized they do slow my loss. so I mixed up protein powder, ground almonds, ground flax, stevia, cocoa. then I melted butter,coconut oil, vanilla extract, coconut extract and mixed it up. if it is too dry, i add a little coconut milk. I used about 2 tbs each of the dry stuff and a scoop or two or protein powder. I used 2 tbs butter and 1 of coconut oil. then I rolled it up in about 1inch balls. then i rolled the balls in more ground almonds.

this satisfies my need for chocolate candy!

my daughter thinks it tastes like sunscreen....but I THINK IT TASTES WONDERFUL! Us serious dieters have different taste buds after abstaining from a bunch of junk :ohwell:
  • JisatsuHoshi
    Options
    I love atkins bars and quest bars. however I realized they do slow my loss. so I mixed up protein powder, ground almonds, ground flax, stevia, cocoa. then I melted butter,coconut oil, vanilla extract, coconut extract and mixed it up. if it is too dry, i add a little coconut milk. I used about 2 tbs each of the dry stuff and a scoop or two or protein powder. I used 2 tbs butter and 1 of coconut oil. then I rolled it up in about 1inch balls. then i rolled the balls in more ground almonds.

this satisfies my need for chocolate candy!

my daughter thinks it tastes like sunscreen....but I THINK IT TASTES WONDERFUL! Us serious dieters have different taste buds after abstaining from a bunch of junk :ohwell:

Doesnt the Atkins bar contain a good amount of sugar alcohols? Heard that s.alcohols digests differently with everyone. read on atkin sites that people should stay away from them bars especially while on induction.
  • WalkingAway2013
    Options

-Bag of plain Pork rinds
    -melted butter
    -stevia packets
    -cinnamon

Pork rinds make the perfect snack for keto. Avg 6g fat, 8g proteins, 0 Carbs. Usually find them in the chip sections of stores.

I checked both walmart and foodbasics here when shopping and no luck finding them :sad:
  • JisatsuHoshi
    Options

-Bag of plain Pork rinds
    -melted butter
    -stevia packets
    -cinnamon

I checked both walmart and foodbasics here when shopping and no luck finding them :sad:
    Hmm... Usually they are on the bottom shelf towards the end of the chips section at Walmart( near the pretzels)... Marketing lol.... They put all the crappy stuff towards the end so you are forced to walk down the lane to get the good stuff taking in more subliminal messages on how good these brand of chips are... Same with cereals... Except the sugary ones are on the bottom shelves so the kids can beg their parents to get the sweet ones since they cant see the healthy ones up top <_<;
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options

My grocery store used to have them with chips and snacks. Now they are in the Mexican ethnic food area. If you have a Mexican market nearby, they'd probably have them, even cheaper.
  • WalkingAway2013
    Options
    I found them they were with the crackers for some reason.

Got a bag plus some dark chocolate and not a fan of either sadly, but going to try the pork rinds as a replacement for crackers in meat loaf and see how it turns out :smile:
    The chocolate is being tossed not even the kids will eat it :laugh:
  • blaqpepa
    blaqpepa Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Lol. This reminded me of the other day. My husband stole a piece of my 85% lindt dark chocolate. Then he came in the room screaming asking why I was trying to poison him. And if I wanted to keep him out of my snacks, I couldve just told him and not bought poison. Hahahahahhahahah
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I found them they were with the crackers for some reason.

Got a bag plus some dark chocolate and not a fan of either sadly, but going to try the pork rinds as a replacement for crackers in meat loaf and see how it turns out :smile:
    The chocolate is being tossed not even the kids will eat it :laugh:

Hold on! Don't bail on the pork rinds or chocolate just yet. They may not be what you were hoping for in their natural state, however, they can be very useful when "doctored" a bit. :-)

You're on track with the filler for meatloaf w/ porkrinds...they also make an awesome breading for things like porkchops, fish, or chicken. Crush (I use a food processor to get them reduced to bread crumb size), mix w/ seasonings of choice ( I use an all purpose like Johnny's or if I'm going for an Italian feel, then Italian spices w/ shredded parmesan), dip your meat of choice in beaten egg then roll in "crumbs," then fry. The pork rinds are an excellent substitute here.

Dark chocolate can be melted and added to cream cheese or heavy whipping cream w/ some add'l sweetener (stevia, splenda, etc.). Or dipped in almond butter tastes pretty good, too.

Good luck!
  • hayleykitty01
    hayleykitty01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find that if I crave sweets, eating some fat will take care of it. Eat a chunk of high fat cheese. When in doubt "eat fat"!
    Also, rather eat "real food" instead of processed low carb bars and snacks. The cravings will pass.
  • Avy1976
    Avy1976 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am on day 9 of the low carb/atkins diet and really craving sweets. I feel like Im going to cave in

When I first started low carbing I was following Atkins pretty closely and read alot of his work. A book I'd recommend is his "VitaNutrient Solution" which goes into a lot of detail about nutritional supplements for various issues that aren't responding 100% to diet alone.

He recommends taking the amino acid L-Glutamine along with some healthy fats (A tbsp of cream cheese does it for me, sometimes sweetened w/ stevia or splenda and a little cocoa powder) to get your cravings in check.

I don't get sweet cravings very often, but this has always worked for me...usually within 30 minutes. Hope that helps!

This. I recommend picking up a bottle of L-Glutamine to everyone who mentions having cravings. Take it between meals. Also, the book The Diet Cure by Juliet Ross is great, and explains a lot.

Some people swear by the powdered form, and say putting a serving under their tongue kills the cravings immediately. I jsut take the pills daily, and it really helps me. I notice quickly if I haven't been taking it.