Already hit all my numbers and still hungry, now what?

Options
2»

Replies

• jerryellis63012
    jerryellis63012 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to drink water, too! 100 oz a day should be your target, and that'll fill a belly for a little while and contribute to overall satiety.

But I'm with the "eat more fat" group. If my carbs are clocking relatively high, they'll make me hungrier, I've found. The lower my carb cap, the less of an insatiable food monster I am.
    Thanks octobubbles, I am trying to drink as much as I can, to make it more tasty, I use lemon juice and liquid stevia

I did have too many carbs yesterday and I'm guessing that was the reason for the insatiable food monster I was yesterday!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    If you consistently feel hungry and are not losing weight, lower your carbs even more. Yeah, 25g is good enough for 99% of the people who try it. But, some people need even fewer carbs than that to control hunger signals. Also, be aware that artificial sweeteners and nuts are both things that some people find cause hunger/cravings regardless of their "real" carb counts.

But, if you're just starting out, don't worry about that. Eat until you're satisfied. After your body has adapted, then you can start fine tuning.
  • jerryellis63012
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    If you consistently feel hungry and are not losing weight, lower your carbs even more. Yeah, 25g is good enough for 99% of the people who try it. But, some people need even fewer carbs than that to control hunger signals. Also, be aware that artificial sweeteners and nuts are both things that some people find cause hunger/cravings regardless of their "real" carb counts.

But, if you're just starting out, don't worry about that. Eat until you're satisfied. After your body has adapted, then you can start fine tuning.
    Great info FIT_Goat, thank you!

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    wabmester wrote: »
    How big is your calorie deficit?

This.
    500 Calorie deficit, is this a good number for Keto?

That's a reasonable enough deficit, that in response to your original question, the best answer is, "don't eat." Have water, tea, etc.
  • jerryellis63012
    Options

This.

That's a reasonable enough deficit, that in response to your original question, the best answer is, "don't eat." Have water, tea, etc.
    I'm still a bit confused as I just read "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes and according to him we can eat as much protein and fat as we want, but I have also read that too much protein acts like carbs and turns to sugars? Also, is it necessary to have a calorie deficit, if you are eating very little carbs? Some of the replies on here have been don't worry about the calories, as long as you hit the macros?
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options

This.

I'm still a bit confused as I just read "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes and according to him we can eat as much protein and fat as we want, but I have also read that too much protein acts like carbs and turns to sugars? Also, is it necessary to have a calorie deficit, if you are eating very little carbs? Some of the replies on here have been don't worry about the calories, as long as you hit the macros?

You'll find there are two distinct camps here in LCD. We both accept each other (for the most part). There are the counters, who believe that counting, tracking, and attaining certain calorie/macro ranges are essential to success. There are the non-counters, who believe that restricting carbs and eating however much you desire without worrying about anything else (except lowering your carbs further if things aren't working) is all that matters for success.

I fall squarely into the latter camp.

The protein concerns are massively over-stated by a lot of people. I wish there was a better search function here, because we've covered it a lot. Basically, if you're not eating ridiculous amounts of protein and supplementing with protein powders, gells, etc. you have nothing to worry about. An extra 100g of protein from a 16 oz steak you ate when you were already over your protein needs, is not the same as a quarter cup of sugar (50g). It's just not how things work. Keep in mind, that's a whole 16 oz steak AFTER you've already hit the 100-150g limit you've likely considered. Are you eating 2-3 pounds of steaks a day? I am, but I doubt you are.

You can eat as much protein and fat as you want. Go nuts. If you strictly limit yourself to protein and fat (no carbs and no artificial sweeteners), you may be able to over-eat for a day or two. But, you'll quickly tire of stuffing yourself with excess calories in meat. In time, you'll find a natural amount that you're satisfied with. Which brings up the next point, that amount will be a deficit for you (assuming you're over-weight). You don't need to concern yourself with what amount of calories that deficit represents. It will exist. Your weight will go down. You don't need to worry about the calories. Your body is better at knowing what it needs than you are at weighing and estimating anyway.

Now, this advice comes from deep into the "non-counting" camp. I'm sure some of the "counting" camp will tell you some of their advice. In the end, you need to decide what you want to do. Or try both and see which side best fits your style and your goals.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I don't see it as counters vs non-counters. You need a calorie deficit to lose weight, and LC tends to get you there naturally by reducing hunger. If you're still hungry, something's wrong. It could be that you're eating too little (that doesn't appear to be the case here), or what you're eating isn't very satiating.

Protein has high satiety. If eating more satiating foods doesn't help quench your hunger, something may be out of whack metabolically. Some people find that LCHF works for that metabolic reset, especially if overeating carbs got you here.
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    ....or, get the stomach flu for 8 days...
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    BACON (my answer to all things)
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I fasted until noon today and had a bowl of homemade soup for lunch. I was still hungry, so I mashed 2 hard boiled eggs w/ 1 Tbsp of mayo and used pork rinds to scoop it up like a dip. That filled me up so much I can't eat dinner.
  • jerryellis63012
    Options
    BACON (my answer to all things)

Lol I love this answer!
  • jerryellis63012
    Options
    All great tips thanks for all the input!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Also, I find sometimes when I'm super hungry to put a dash of salt in the palm of my hand and eat it straight. I can tell right away if I'm hungry or if my sodium was just getting low... Doing bulletproof tea for breakfast and missing my morning broth usually does this. I don't like the salt in the tea, so have been thinking of a mini broth first, then tea at work, then broth later, too.