breakfast ideas - tired of the same old eggs!

Options
2»

Replies

• Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    The bulletproof tea with roiboos chai & spiced ghee sounds devine, can't find those products in Sydney, Australia. But bulletproof coffee is gaining popularity.

I would recommend looking for an Indian grocery store for the ghee. You might find some awesome chai tea there as well, but maybe not the roiboos variety. Google seems to suggest there are a few in Sydney, so I hope you can find some. Try googling Indian and/or Pakistani grocery store. Ghee is a GREAT alternative to butter. It's wonderful for frying things because it's basically "butter-flavoured oil"...because it's made from clarified butter with the "parts that burn" removed.

The cream cheese pancakes from IBIH are great. I love them with extra cinnamon. I have been plotting to use them to make keto tiramisu, too.

Ummm...I am a creature of habit. I have bacon and eggs or sausage and eggs for breakfast almost every day. It's easy and I don't have to think about it. But you're right - I do want something different sometimes, too. Every now and then I make a lazy spinach frittata, which is AGAIN bacon and eggs, but at least it's dressed up with spinach and cheese.

Sometimes if I need the protein and can fit in the carbs, I have a half serving of Greek yogurt with a couple tablespoons of heavy cream added + vanilla extract + 2 drops of liquid stevia.

I am going to read over the rest of the stuff in this post and see if I can find some ideas. One of my former co-workers told me once she made a faux oatmeal with chia seeds. Net carbs ftw, not total carbs.

-T.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Found a cinnamon "oatmeal" recipe with chia seeds here that looks promising:
    http://holisticallyengineered.com/2013/05/instant-cinnamon-oatmeal-low-carb.html

Anybody happen to try this one or have a favourite variant? This has piqued my interest. I was pretty into oatmeal for years.

-T.
  • fzermer
    fzermer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Recently, I've been making cheddar cheese taco shells and filling with a scrambled egg and Serrano pepper mix. Bacon on the side.
  • MizTenaciousT
    MizTenaciousT Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    fzermer wrote: »
    Recently, I've been making cheddar cheese taco shells and filling with a scrambled egg and Serrano pepper mix. Bacon on the side.

I gotta know how you're making those taco shells! Sounds delicious.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    you sprinkle shredded or sliced cheddar in a skillet (or in the oven) and cook it until it starts browning. Flip it, and lightly brown the other side. Cool it just to where you can handle it, then fold it around something approximately taco shell shaped (you can probably make your own shell fold thing out of a squished paper towel holder cover in aluminum foil or parchment paper). Shape the shell, let it cool just a few seconds, the slide it onto something too cook. Look up "cheese crisp" recipes and find the one with larger circles for shells for more details.
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

I do this sometimes:
    2oz cream cheese
    1/3 c half n' half
    stevia to taste

Blend it up. Now you could add 2-3 pureed strawberries or an equivalent amount of other berry. Or even a wee bit of vanilla extract and keep it plain. I call this Pretend Yogurt. It is yummy and satiating. If you only have HWC, decrease the cream cheese by .5oz so it isn't too thick.

Definitely trying this!
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    you sprinkle shredded or sliced cheddar in a skillet (or in the oven) and cook it until it starts browning. Flip it, and lightly brown the other side. Cool it just to where you can handle it, then fold it around something approximately taco shell shaped (you can probably make your own shell fold thing out of a squished paper towel holder cover in aluminum foil or parchment paper). Shape the shell, let it cool just a few seconds, the slide it onto something too cook. Look up "cheese crisp" recipes and find the one with larger circles for shells for more details.

OOh good idea. I'll have to try this.
  • rkufeke
    rkufeke Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've done the chia "oatmeal". It definitely needs the coconut for me, otherwise the texture is pretty gross! You can do it overnight too, just put the ingredients in a jar and refrigerate overnight, then the next morning your breakfast is already made :) That's the way I made it, and I added the coconut in the AM, I don't know if it would lose its crunch factor if you soaked it with the seeds overnight...
  • MizTenaciousT
    MizTenaciousT Posts: 69 Member
    Options

Thank you! :-)

• maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I've been making salami bundles with egg salad filling, and then changed it up today and used pepperoni chips to scoop up egg salad.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

OOh good idea. I'll have to try this.

Note to all on the cheese "crisps." If you do them in the oven, you MUST use parchment paper...not aluminum foil...but parchment paper is a MUST.... Dunno about skillet. Haven't used that method personally.