How low is too low for blood sugar?

Options
Since starting LCHF, really tracking it like I should, I'm down 4 lbs since last week (yay!) And my blood sugar is reading between 78 and 86, I'm type 2 diabetic, is this considered safe?

Replies

• pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Normal blood sugar is less than 100, usually 70-100 for non-diabetics. How do you feel? That's the important part. A lot of type 2 diabetics are able to reduce or come off their meds with LCHF, on the advice of their doctor of course.
  • aishlynn
    aishlynn Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful that your sugars have come down that low (as long as that's your fasting BS)! I'm type II, as well.

The following is found at: http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/checking-your-blood-glucose.html

Before a meal (preprandial plasma glucose): 70–130 mg/dl

1-2 hours after beginning of the meal (Postprandial plasma glucose)*: Less than 180 mg/dl - See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/checking-your-blood-glucose.html#sthash.578VigLl.dpuf
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    if you're ketogenic you may be happy at lower BG levels as ketones provide an alternate brain fuel.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Yes, those numbers are pretty normal.
  • jerryellis63012
    jerryellis63012 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    pope705 wrote: »
    Normal blood sugar is less than 100, usually 70-100 for non-diabetics. How do you feel? That's the important part. A lot of type 2 diabetics are able to reduce or come off their meds with LCHF, on the advice of their doctor of course.
    I feel great! I haven't taken my meds since after the first week with lowered carbs and my numbers have been great every time I check
  • jerryellis63012
    Options
    aishlynn wrote: »
    That's wonderful that your sugars have come down that low (as long as that's your fasting BS)! I'm type II, as well.

The following is found at: http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/checking-your-blood-glucose.html

1-2 hours after beginning of the meal (Postprandial plasma glucose)*: Less than 180 mg/dl - See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/checking-your-blood-glucose.html#sthash.578VigLl.dpuf

The 78 number was what I got an hour after eating 2 hard boiled eggs with avocado and mayo, so very happy that it's staying low even after eating! 86 was yesterday morning's fasting number.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

One thing to note, those numbers are for diabetics on a USDA/SAD type diet, which tends to be quite a bit higher in carbs (something along the lines of 120-250g, based on the meal/snack numbers, IIRC).

The ideal numbers for people are more like 60-99 in a fasting state, and up to 120-140 postprandial (depending on your source; ADA says 140, but research has been showing that 120 is better and 140 is indicative of future Diabetes; there's also evidence that 80+ in fasting nondiabetics is indicative of future Diabetes and other health issues, as well).

In any case, 60 is about as low as you want to go. As a diabetic, you may even want to take action a little higher than that, to avoid dropping below 60. 78-86 is just about perfect for anyone.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

The 78 number was what I got an hour after eating 2 hard boiled eggs with avocado and mayo, so very happy that it's staying low even after eating! 86 was yesterday morning's fasting number.

Awesome! Sounds about right for having a snack where carbs are pretty much nonexistent! You might want to do a reading before eating, just to make sure your number's still within range, but that post food number is great!
  • aishlynn
    aishlynn Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

One thing to note, those numbers are for diabetics on a USDA/SAD type diet, which tends to be quite a bit higher in carbs (something along the lines of 120-250g, based on the meal/snack numbers, IIRC).

The ideal numbers for people are more like 60-99 in a fasting state, and up to 120-140 postprandial (depending on your source; ADA says 140, but research has been showing that 120 is better and 140 is indicative of future Diabetes; there's also evidence that 80+ in fasting nondiabetics is indicative of future Diabetes and other health issues, as well).

In any case, 60 is about as low as you want to go. As a diabetic, you may even want to take action a little higher than that, to avoid dropping below 60. 78-86 is just about perfect for anyone.

Interesting. Didn't know that. TFS :)
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Since starting LCHF, really tracking it like I should, I'm down 4 lbs since last week (yay!) And my blood sugar is reading between 78 and 86, I'm type 2 diabetic, is this considered safe?

Those are good numbers. But no one queried you about diabetic drugs? Are you taking any? If so, which ones, what dosage/frequency?

When you eleminate carbs from your diet, diabetic drugs will lower your BG levels. So, I would test often. Below 60, your will start "going low", (hypoglycemic) which makes you have a lot of not so good maladies that start. Google it. If you are taking insulin, that REALLY has to be watched, you could go so low as to pass out/coma/die. :disappointed:

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    My Blog: Intermittent Water Fasting & Keto
    Blog #9 Fasting, Diabetic ~ Glucose/Sugar Levels
    What If We're Wrong about Diabetes? Peter Attia
    My Blog: It's Ketogenic or Bariatric (How I found the Ketogenic Diet)
    Keto Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used in LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,963 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I personally start to feel a little iffy below 70. (I'm not diabetic but I did have gestational diabetes with my youngest 4 years ago so I still have a meter.) Sleepy and cold but not yet shaky or anything. YAWN! So I eat something. I just did this btw. I was feeling the hibernation mode, so I was curious, and I tested. Yep, 69. It's annoying. :angry:

I don't do this every day, but it's still annoying. It's 70deg in here, and I feel like I need a jacket and a nap.
  • Mistizoom
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I feel great! I haven't taken my meds since after the first week with lowered carbs and my numbers have been great every time I check
    DittoDan wrote: »

Those are good numbers. But no one queried you about diabetic drugs? Are you taking any? If so, which ones, what dosage/frequency?

When you eleminate carbs from your diet, diabetic drugs will lower your BG levels. So, I would test often. Below 60, your will start "going low", (hypoglycemic) which makes you have a lot of not so good maladies that start. Google it. If you are taking insulin, that REALLY has to be watched, you could go so low as to pass out/coma/die. :disappointed:

I hope this helps,

He says he hasn't taken his meds after the first week of lower carbs. Not sure what meds, but I would think is it wise to check in with your doctor when starting/stopping medication for diabetes. I also want to note that metformin for most people does not directly affect blood sugar levels, and is safe to continue on a low carb or very low carb (ketogenic) diet. I don't even have diabetes (I have PCOS with insulin resistance) and I take it, as it has a number of health benefits.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    ...I would think is it wise to check in with your doctor when starting/stopping medication for diabetes. I also want to note that metformin for most people does not directly affect blood sugar levels, and is safe to continue on a low carb or very low carb (ketogenic) diet. I don't even have diabetes (I have PCOS with insulin resistance) and I take it, as it has a number of health benefits.

@ Mistizoom could you please elaborate on the benefits you feel from metformin?

My doctor and endo both want me to take it but I'm very weary of medication and avoid it if at all possible. I did take metformin for a week or so after being diagnosed diabetic but felt depressed and it didn't have a noticeable effect on my blood sugar levels so I stopped. The effect I have just from eating LCHF is much greater and my mood is better too.

KG
  • KetoGirl83
    edited March 2015
    Options
    deleted duplicated post
  • Mistizoom
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Here's one article on benefits of metformin: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/280725.php

I will look for more later, my lunch break just ended.
  • KetoGirl83
    Options
    Here's one article on benefits of metformin: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/280725.php

I will look for more later, my lunch break just ended.

Thank you. Interesting, I may give it another go.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

<snip>quote]

He says he hasn't taken his meds after the first week of lower carbs. Not sure what meds, but I would think is it wise to check in with your doctor when starting/stopping medication for diabetes. I also want to note that metformin for most people does not directly affect blood sugar levels, and is safe to continue on a low carb or very low carb (ketogenic) diet. I don't even have diabetes (I have PCOS with insulin resistance) and I take it, as it has a number of health benefits.

Sorry Misti, in my haste (at lunch) ~ I missed that. Now I see it.

I, also, would recommend Metformin, (that's the only one I take now). Metformin helps with insulin resisitance.

• jerryellis63012
    Options

I hope this helps,

I stopped taking metformin about a month ago, so no meds at all! Thanks for the info tho!
  • jerryellis63012
    Options

I hope this helps,

It's side effect for me was IBS worse than with just carbs, I could try again to see what happens I guess
  • Mistizoom
    Options

I hope this helps,

It's side effect for me was IBS worse than with just carbs, I could try again to see what happens I guess

You mean gastric upset from the metformin? Did you try the ER/XR (extended release) version or just the regular? All my gastric symptoms went away as soon as I switched to ER. I also had IBS prior to starting low carb so I got a double whammy with the regular metformin. I have had no side effects with the metformin ER, however, and low carb cured my IBS.