Finally… LOW/NO Carb diet recommended for My 600# Life

Options
2»

Replies

• shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I totally agree I could have made a better decision on the bag of potatoes and lard like butter. Hind site is always better. I just did not really know better at the time and times were pretty ruff for me right then. That big bag of potatoes looked like it would fill my tummy many times figuring each potato was a meal. I had very little left on hand as my first hubby had just passed away and I had to move and I had months of very little grocery shopping just for me as I could not get away. I did the best I could.
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    These people are being "used" for entertainment value. They are deeply damaged and live with enablers who are also damaged. It is making TLC rich. The failure rate is 90%. because there is no support at home. Many are poor and undereducated.
    Look at their families who are almost as heavy as they are .
    One lovely man, I forget his name, died after skin removal surgery.

These people need mental health treatment before deciding to do the surgery and their caregivers should be considered abusive on a level as they continue to allow a morbidly obese person food in the amounts they are giving them.
  • Meeezonajourney
    Meeezonajourney Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Gnulie wrote: »
    I just find the similarities between drug and food addiction fascinating.

Gnulie there are several easy to find reports on this similarity. Mice fed cocoaine and then sugar ( it was in the form of Oreos I believe) wold turn down the drug and take the sugar every time, other studies show mice over supplied on mouse chow would not get fat, and moderated their diet, but once sugar and junk food was added they became obese and did not chose their own food……grim. Just saw a video on bigfoodcorp actions to induce early 'addiction' in kids. Baby bottles with pepsi logos? Schools got rid of sodas, but installed juice machines, which was far higher in sugar. Those bottles of SOBE teas…pink, green liquids with 'energizing' herbs yadayada..all sugar based.
    The Food Lobby Goes to School this is a 6 min, to the point view, of food lobbyists and the multi billions spent on lunch programs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVfAWbitBTs

It's truly disgusting IMO the way sugar and HFCS is pushed on us from every direction. Big tobacco...ha they ain't got nothin on the food industry. Not meaning to offend anyone here just my thoughts.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I just find the similarities between drug and food addiction fascinating.

Gnulie there are several easy to find reports on this similarity. Mice fed cocoaine and then sugar ( it was in the form of Oreos I believe) wold turn down the drug and take the sugar every time, other studies show mice over supplied on mouse chow would not get fat, and moderated their diet, but once sugar and junk food was added they became obese and did not chose their own food……grim. Just saw a video on bigfoodcorp actions to induce early 'addiction' in kids. Baby bottles with pepsi logos? Schools got rid of sodas, but installed juice machines, which was far higher in sugar. Those bottles of SOBE teas…pink, green liquids with 'energizing' herbs yadayada..all sugar based.
    The Food Lobby Goes to School this is a 6 min, to the point view, of food lobbyists and the multi billions spent on lunch programs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVfAWbitBTs

It's truly disgusting IMO the way sugar and HFCS is pushed on us from every direction. Big tobacco...ha they ain't got nothin on the food industry. Not meaning to offend anyone here just my thoughts.

Well....let's put it this way....

Philip Morris owns Kraft, and Kraft owns:

Milkbone
    Maxwell House
    Yuban
    Starbucks
    Capri Sun
    Tang
    Kool-Aid
    Post Cereals
    Oscar Mayers
    Nabisco
    several others (and that's just Philip Morris)

So.... a large chunk of the food industry is the tobacco industry, for all intents and purposes. When you realize that, it's no wonder the food industry is using the same shady tactics. It's the same people.

Talk about losing faith in humanity, eh?
  • Quatroux
    Quatroux Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Those folks at Kraft aren't evil. They are just like you and me. They make a product and look for a market to sell it in. They refine their product as they learn more about what sells. The problem is that we buy. We should be making better choices which will result in a shift in the market to accomdoate us. I love a good conspiracy theory and I actually do think there is some truth to almost every "crackpot" idea about corporate america trying to "get" us. At the end of the day I realize that it is just a bunch of normal people and very rarely is there a broken person in the mix that is willing and able to hurt the consumer. Putting antifreeze in toothpaste tubes is the exception. Formulating your product to be addictive (as opposed to more appealing) is the exception. Just selling what people are willing to buy in a free and open market is the norm. Cultural mismatches and broken people are outliers.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    In the end, no one forces anyone to pick up the box of sugar cereal and put it in the cart. Do they make it look pretty, taste good, easy to see in it's prime middle shelf location? Yes. But no one forces you to buy it. There are eggs right down the aisle to the left, and they are cheaper.
  • Meeezonajourney
    Meeezonajourney Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    No you're absolutely right we do have free will. It just makes me sad to see families at the market with obese children and the only produce in their carts is orange juice.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's very very sad. I saw a photo of a friend's son in his second grade class....at least half of them were overweight. I was shocked. It takes work to feed your child healthy foods and make smarter choices. Also harder to get them to exercise with the phones and tablets and video games. It's hard enough to do it even for just yourself. Maybe it's a matter of priorities, not sure. It is definitely sad.
  • Quatroux
    Quatroux Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My kids are in a private school in the states and almost all the kids are a healthy weight. I wonder if it is because the families can afford better food or are better educated about food. I know the nutrition info the school sends home seems to be a joke - 1990's FDA type stuff.