Dixie USA low carb baking products

Options
pmm3437
pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
Has anyone tried these and had success using them?

How is the flavor and texture compared to their flour based counterparts ?

Replies

• ABrownGrl
    ABrownGrl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of that brand, but since going keto I don't eat any prepackaged foods that claim to be low carb. They are often filled with junk my body doesn't need. I also find if I eat those type of foods (quest bars for example) I end up having cravings for terrible things that are NOT on plan for my WOE. For me, giving it all up completely was the best decision I made. I see plenty of people who eat low carb bread alternatives and do fine though. Just a personal preference....
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I bought something from them that should be arriving today (either flour or bread mix). However, I don't particularly plan on eating it myself, but I will probably try a bit to see how it tastes. I bought it for my 12.5 year old son who is starting to eat low carb, as he isn't being as strict as DH or I. I do buy ThinSlim and Great Low Carb Bread Company bread and bagels, however, and have no issues with eating those occasionally (maybe once a week, more or less).
  • pmm3437
    Options
    ABrownGrl wrote: »
    I've never heard of that brand...
    Its actually a brand I saw on a site that was referenced in this group several times: netrition.com
    Here's a link to the product I'm looking at : http://www2.netrition.com/dd_all_purpose_flour.html - its 8g / 2g net.
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    I bought something from them that should be arriving today (either flour or bread mix). However, I don't particularly plan on eating it myself, but I will probably try a bit to see how it tastes...
    I would love to hear your feedback, once you have a chance to try it out, as well as your sons reaction/comparison. I have seen those brands in my research, but they seem kinda pricey. I'm hoping I can find a multipurpose flour/bake mix that I can use to make stuff on demand, like a couple biscuits, calzone dough, or sandwich rolls.

Couple other brands I have read about are Bob's Red Mill, and Carbquik. Also seen recipes for faux breads using almond flour or whey protein, but they look like they have more of a cornbread/pound cake consistency, which I don't imagine works well for sandwiches or toast.

Right now I am doing my due diligence research, trying to learn as much I can, and what my options are, if I decide to try out a Keto eating plan. As it stands now, half my carbs come from pantry items that I am just trying to use up so it doesn't get wasted. Without a lot of sacrifice, I can get down to 80-100g a day.

After that it becomes much harder ... I would have to cut out things I really enjoy, like my morning english muffin with my bacon and eggs, or things I want/need for nutrition such as my daily glass of orange juice and V8.

In the end, I know there's just gonna be days where I want something carby ... like biscuits and sausage gravy or pancakes/waffles for breakfast; or a philly cheesesteak sub. And when I do, I'm just gonna have em. If I can do that with a viable low carb alternative, and stay ketonic, I will... but I wont deny myself if the option isn't available or practical. That just leads to unsustainability.

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    As it stands now, half my cigarettes come from old cartons that I am just trying to use up so they don't get wasted. Without a lot of sacrifice, I can get down to 20-30 cigarettes a day.

After that it becomes much harder ... I would have to cut out things I really enjoy, like my morning cigarette with my bacon and eggs, or things I want/need for lung health such as my daily menthol cigarettes.

In the end, I know there's just gonna be days where I want a whole pack ... And when I do, I'm just gonna have em. If I can do that with a viable low tar alternative, and stay below a certain number of cigarettes, I will... but I wont deny myself if the option isn't available or practical. That just leads to unsustainability.

Isn't it great to be a non-smoker?! :wink:

• Mistizoom
    edited March 2015
    Options
    pmm3437 wrote: »
    ABrownGrl wrote: »
    I've never heard of that brand...
    Its actually a brand I saw on a site that was referenced in this group several times: netrition.com
    Here's a link to the product I'm looking at : http://www2.netrition.com/dd_all_purpose_flour.html - its 8g / 2g net.
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    I bought something from them that should be arriving today (either flour or bread mix). However, I don't particularly plan on eating it myself, but I will probably try a bit to see how it tastes...
    I would love to hear your feedback, once you have a chance to try it out, as well as your sons reaction/comparison. I have seen those brands in my research, but they seem kinda pricey. I'm hoping I can find a multipurpose flour/bake mix that I can use to make stuff on demand, like a couple biscuits, calzone dough, or sandwich rolls.

Couple other brands I have read about are Bob's Red Mill, and Carbquik. Also seen recipes for faux breads using almond flour or whey protein, but they look like they have more of a cornbread/pound cake consistency, which I don't imagine works well for sandwiches or toast.

Right now I am doing my due diligence research, trying to learn as much I can, and what my options are, if I decide to try out a Keto eating plan. As it stands now, half my carbs come from pantry items that I am just trying to use up so it doesn't get wasted. Without a lot of sacrifice, I can get down to 80-100g a day.

After that it becomes much harder ... I would have to cut out things I really enjoy, like my morning english muffin with my bacon and eggs, or things I want/need for nutrition such as my daily glass of orange juice and V8.

In the end, I know there's just gonna be days where I want something carby ... like biscuits and sausage gravy or pancakes/waffles for breakfast; or a philly cheesesteak sub. And when I do, I'm just gonna have em. If I can do that with a viable low carb alternative, and stay ketonic, I will... but I wont deny myself if the option isn't available or practical. That just leads to unsustainability.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing, researching and finding options that will work for you now. I have found low carb subs for most of the things you mentioned. Since you are doing low carb at this point rather than keto, you might try posting in The Low Carber Daily Forum group in addition for ideas, There is a bit more of a range for carb goals of people posting there.

The flour you linked to is the one I bought. I can let you know when I try it.
  • pmm3437
    edited March 2015
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    As it stands now, half my cigarettes come from old cartons that I am just trying to use up so they don't get wasted. Without a lot of sacrifice, I can get down to 20-30 cigarettes a day.

After that it becomes much harder ... I would have to cut out things I really enjoy, like my morning cigarette with my bacon and eggs, or things I want/need for lung health such as my daily menthol cigarettes.

In the end, I know there's just gonna be days where I want a whole pack ... And when I do, I'm just gonna have em. If I can do that with a viable low tar alternative, and stay below a certain number of cigarettes, I will... but I wont deny myself if the option isn't available or practical. That just leads to unsustainability.

Isn't it great to be a non-smoker?! :wink:
    Thats a great analogy ...

Thousands ( millions ? ) of people each year quit smoking by slowly weaning themselves off of cigarettes by reducing intake over a period of time. It's even medically proven to be effective. Some health care professionals actually recommend doing it this way, to prevent the body from going into shock from a sudden shift in chemistry. There is an entire industry built to support this by replacing cigarettes with healthier options ( gums, patches, vaporizers, etc ).

Studies have show that there are incremental health benefits to reducing intake, and that outright cession is not required ( although it is encouraged ).

Personally, I just stopped buying them cause they were too expensive .... and the rest fell into place when my supply ran out. That will have been 2 years ago this May.

Now all you have to do is supply all your scientific documentation to the medical community which proves that carbs are poison, and you too can force the manufacturers to put warning labels on their products.

Here's a little aside we can all chuckle about, straight from MFP itself:
    nyi6hne3rw02.jpg

< insert picture of breast with warning label tattoo here >
  • FIT_Goat
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The thing is that keto is a very specific level of carb restriction. You wouldn't call yourself a non-smoker if you smoked a whole pack every weekend. If you are just trying for general low carb, you're welcome over at the low carbers group. We support all levels of low carb.

But, the way you're approaching keto is setting you up for failure. You clearly have at least some level of dependency on carbs (particularly the refined types) that is going to cause problems. While keto allows carbs, the vast majority of them should be from leafy green vegetables and not faux foods.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your low carb journey. It sounds like you may have to trial many options before you arrive at something you are comfortable with. Don't be discouraged. It may take time.

It seems to me that most people following a keto diet do not look for "bread" or baking type substitutions. For me, it was a process that took years to arrive at. We gave up wheat, sugar and processed foods first of all. We went gluten free for a while, that's when I started buying different flour substitutes, but we were still eating quite a bit of carbs at that point, and I don't think we really felt a whole lot better. Then my family stopped eating grains for good a couple of years ago. I threw out my flour years ago, and now use very few substitute ingredients like almond meal or coconut flour, just small amounts for rare occasions.

For me, it wasn't a question of using things up in the pantry stead of wasting them. I had such an overwhelming realization that those old starchy ingredients were unnecessary in my house, that I gave away what I could to friends or food banks, and threw away the rest. I have never bought them again since I don't want them in my house.

I observed that by allowing myself to eat grain free substitutes of products I used to consume in my old life, although I was feeling better than I used to when eating a SAD diet, I was not losing weight, and I thought I could improve my diet even more, and feel even better. So I gave them up. By that point however, I was losing the desire to eat these products anyway. I find that I will reach for a lettuce leaf to wrap my burger or sandwich 1000 times more often than I would even think about wanting to eat a faux bread product. I just don't want it anymore.

BTW, I used to swear that I needed my orange juice every morning too, but that was actually easy to give up years ago. The amount of sugar contained in even freshly squeezed juice, to me is like drinking soda pop, not worth it. I don't need it. If I could give that habit up, so can you, if you are ready. And if not, you may have satisfaction in just reducing your carb intake to lower than the norm. Good luck !
  • Mistizoom
    edited March 2015
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    The thing is that keto is a very specific level of carb restriction. You wouldn't call yourself a non-smoker if you smoked a whole pack every weekend. If you are just trying for general low carb, you're welcome over at the low carbers group. We support all levels of low carb.

But, the way you're approaching keto is setting you up for failure. You clearly have at least some level of dependency on carbs (particularly the refined types) that is going to cause problems. While keto allows carbs, the vast majority of them should be from leafy green vegetables and not faux foods.

I think we need to give the OP a break and direct him to the Low Carber Daily Forum like I did in my second post . He said he is thinking of keto but not doing keto currently. It sounds like he is shooting for 80-100 g carbs/day at the moment. We all have to start somewhere. Some people can dive right in and some people need to ease their way in. Not everyone can be hard core from the get go.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Hey, I did invite them over to the other forum. Of course, neither of us provided a link. Should still be easy enough to find.

I was thinking the same thing. Any reduction is a positive step. But, they don't sound ready to jump right to keto.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

And personally, I loved the smoking analogy. As did the OP, seemingly. Thanks for a good dose of perspective!! Because we carb addicts DO think that way...until we break our brains of the habits by upping fats to counteract the seeming addiction. We've lived addicted for so long that we can't fathom enjoying another way.

I, too, don't use many subs, and I really don't miss them. I had a teeny tiny bite of a turtle cheesecake my fiance was eating (Saturday night), and he was giving me kind of a hard time, so I told him if he stayed away from most of the sauces and skipped the crust, it would still be moderately friendly to my way of eating... OMG, less than a teaspoon's bite and my head was swimming in sugar!! It was crazy. I'll take my Keto-fied version, thanks. :)
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Ya'll can't see the irony? Guess not.