New members - tell us about yourself

Options
BRaye325
BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
Welcome to the group! We look forward to getting to know you. Please post a reply and tell us about yourself. Also, feel free to start a new discussion at any time on something you need to know, want to share, or just think might be fun.

Replies

• BRaye325
    Options
    Here's a little about me - I am a happily married 56 year old with 3 children (32, 30, & 18) and 2 grandchildren (3 & 1). I have never had good eating habits. My health had deteriorated to the point that I was the heaviest I'd ever been (started at 325 lbs), on multiple prescriptions for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diuretics, and acid reflux.
    Stress sometimes overwhelms me and I have been eating my way through it - that's how I got here!
    I am hoping that if I can take control of this part of my life - for me - it will ultimately help with all of the other problems in my life.
    The good news is that I've managed to lose 81 pounds in the past 8 months and it's mostly due to being on MFP. I've learned a lot about myself and my fitness. I'm proof that calorie counting works and the ease of doing it with the MFP app is changing my life.
  • sylviajackson23
    sylviajackson23 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Sylvia
    I am 53 years young I have 5 children they are 33 30 29 27 & 25 they have given me 22 grandchildren all under the age of 12 years. Ever since I can remember I've always been the big kid so when I turned 50 my husband had a heart attack which I never want to see again I thought we must start to eat healthy and so my journey begins. To date I've lost 6 stone with one more to go.
    Well that's about it for now wish you all good luck on your journey's and yes we can do this
  • BRaye325
    Options
    Welcome Sylvia. It must be wonderful to have such a large family (and tiring sometimes too!) I adore my two grandson's and can't imagine what having 22 would be like. 6 stone (84 pounds) is wonderful, congratulations. We look forward to getting to know you.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    This group was recommended by BBee5064...

Technically, I reached goal last month. BUT…I plan to continue with MFP, as I work on maintenance and re-shaping. I see myself as being in an adjustment phase for the next 6-12 months. My story is at:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10080664/lost-191-lbs-photos-success-after-999-failures/p1

Wishing everyone a great week.

73641431.png

• BRaye325
    Options
    So nice to meet you NikonPal - your story is very inspiring!

We'd love it if you started your own discussion on here about what life on maintenance looks like. I've got a ways to go to get there, but I've been thinking about it. I've lost weight in the past and like many of us put it all back on, so I'm concerned about how to maintain and keep it simple but interesting.
    By the way, your breakfast pictures look amazing!
  • clensor1955
    clensor1955 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    This group was recommended by BBee5064. I 59 years old, and have been on MFP for about two years. I have had great success, and formed some wonderful friendships. I watch my diet and exercise 5 to 6 days a week. My favorite exercise is bicycling, with running a very close second. Please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • alphabetsoup2013
    alphabetsoup2013 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm here at the invitation of BBee5064, too. I'm 51, married, and have four kids (26, 25, 23, 17). I joined MFP in January 2013. At that point, I weighed 286 lbs. I reached my goal of losing 132 lbs. in January 2015 and have been maintaining my weight since that time. I wrote a story about my weight loss for this Canadian magazine:
    http://www.canadianliving.com/health/health_and_wellness_club/how_to_lose_weight_in_your_50s.php
    and my story has been featured on the Fitbit blog, too:
    http://blog.fitbit.com/fitbit-success-stories-ann-d/
    This is the first time EVER (well, since I was a preschooler!) that I've been at a healthy weight. I am loving it.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group... So thrilled to hear your stories thus far... U r all doing great. Can't wait to learn more about u all as time goes on...
    As for Me... I'm 51 years young.. Happily married 24 years just passed... Two lovely sons.. 18 & 20 years.. I am a busy full time working wife & mother.. I'm mentioned previously that I'm not as the jolly fat friend... I'm 5'2 & weigh 179 pounds.. I'm the only one overweight amongst my friends & family.. It devastates me. Everyone thinks I'm happy being overweight. How wrong they are! I can honestly say that mfp has been a life saver for me... Logging in every day & of course having friends that understand.. A friend in need is a friend indeed..
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Known as the jolly fat friend
  • BRaye325
    Options
    Welcome to clensor1955 & alphabetsoup2013.
    You both have very inspiring history on MFP. I'm so glad Bee invited you. I'm sure we can all learn valuable lessons from your experience.
    I'd like to encourage you to start your own discussion threads on the things that continue to help you be successful with your fitness, especially those that relate to our age group.
  • POHarry
    POHarry Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been doing MFP for about 2 months. I wanted to take off about 10-12 lbs and hit the 10 lb mark last week. People say I didn't need to lose weight, fairly small guy but had extra weight.

there is a history of heart disease and high blood pressure on both sides of my family and I wanted to do something to help myself out.

I am 51, will be 52 in 3 1/2 months. I have always liked lifting weights (not to get big, just to maintain) and I like riding bikes and walking, jogging.

Been married almost 28 yrs now with three great kids (22, 19 and 16).

I like treats and pizza and those are my downfalls.

I have done DVDs and follow programs in Mens Health Magazine. I like trying different approaches and try to incorporate them all to keep me healthy.
  • naturallykinky
    naturallykinky Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm actually 49 but looking forward to turning 50 in a few months. Recently joined a gym and a walking group, because I want to be the best healthiest, fittest lady that I can be. I look forward to participating in this group. Please feel free to friend me.
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hello, my name is Mike and I am 55.

I originally started MFP last summer with a goal to get down to 180 pounds. Fate had other plans in store for me as my long time friend and business partner died a few months later. He was eight years my senior and in great shape, in fact I thought he would outlive me.

Doubts crept in and I began to wonder if healthy living really mattered. I began to indulge, over—eat and drink a bit too much wine.

Thankfully, my wife helped bring me back to my senses and gently nudged me back to reality. She's been a lifesaver since I first met her 34 years ago, she is my angel. Sadly, I now have a bit more weight to lose, roughly 60 pounds. But, as my boss used to say when we had a tough assignment, "You have to eat that elephant one bite at a time."

I'm motivated once again to drop the pounds, live a vibrant life, and help motivate others to do the same. I am interested in surrounding myself with like--minded individuals that are in a similar stage of life so we can inspire one another in the pursuit of vitality, longevity, and healthy aging through proper nutrition, exercise, and social interaction.

I look forward to interacting with all of you. Please feel free to send me a friend request.
  • SusieBe9
    SusieBe9 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi! Im Susie from California. I'm 57, married with 2 grown daughters (31 and 29), 1 grandson 10 months old. I've yo-yo dieted my entire adult life, and have decided now is the time! Just started using a Fitbit Charge HR, love it! Just started using MyFitnessPal and am extremely motivated. I'm very visual so seeing calories in/out, as well as tracking activity has been huge for me. Started at 204lbs, 2 weeks later at 200. I sit at a desk for 9 + hours a day, logging 3000-4000 steps all day. At night I'm on the treadmill. My exercise goal is 10,000 + steps (topped 15,000 last night), 60-100 minutes and 5 + miles. My calorie goal is 1200. This has been totally do-able. Can't wait to break 200lbs and get to my goal of 150lbs. Glad to be part of this support group.
  • lynnstacey2
    lynnstacey2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Lynn from Michigan. I'm 62 years old and have been on MFP since around last May sometime when I went to a local diet doctor whose staff recommended I use the App to track my food intake while following the program. I too have yo yo dieted most of my life but I think one of the main reason I've stopped tracking before is that it seemed like such a pain to keep doing it, now, there really isn't an excuse! Exercise has never been much of my problem since I keep horses at home and do seven stalls every day not to mention stacking hay and carrying in bags of feed and bedding! It was all definitely a portion control problem! I do however, wear a Vivofit to remind me when to get off of my behind and move! ( I work full time as a college librarian so lots of sit at the desk time during the day!) I have three grown children, 34, 32 and 30 and four grand sons. I also lost my oldest daughter seven years ago to a weight loss surgery, needless to say, I'm not a fan of it although I know many people who have done it are thrilled with the results.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Welcome to our group everyone.. We r so happy to have u all on board. It's great to read all your stories. Each & everyone of u have inspired me..
    So excited to get to know u better.
    Feel free to start a discussion at any point.
    We can learn so much from each other :)
  • alphabetsoup2013
    alphabetsoup2013 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome. Looking forward to getting to know everyone. BRaye325, I'm going to take your advice and start a discussion thread on something I am pretty passionate about -- making weight loss changes that are sustainable.
  • HappyTrails7
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome. Looking forward to getting to know everyone. BRaye325, I'm going to take your advice and start a discussion thread on something I am pretty passionate about -- making weight loss changes that are sustainable.

Welcome Alphabet soup. I look forward to your thread on making weight loss changes that are sustainable.
  • StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Been on MFP a while. Love to workout but am finding the nutrition aspect is the toughest for me. I was skinny growing up so food selection wasn't an issue. It is now. Glad to meet everyone!
  • HappyTrails7
    Options
    Glad to see you here StrongLife.

Food has a way of catching up with this doesn't it. The toughest part is you have to eat to live, but it is a struggle not to live to eat.