New members - tell us about yourself

Options

Replies

• alphabetsoup2013
    alphabetsoup2013 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    But it feels pretty darn good to not be fat anymore. Fat is no longer an option.

Yep! I can't imagine going back to being weighed down by an extra 132 lbs. (Well, actually I can -- and that's enough to keep me working hard at maintaining a weight that allows me to live life fully as opposed to sitting on the sidelines, watching life go by.)

Great to have you as part of this group, @marekdds
  • alphabetsoup2013
    Options
    funchords wrote: »
    support from family, friends, and TOPS.

For years, I was afraid to ask others to support in me in my weight loss efforts. I was so ashamed of being obese that I felt unworthy of their support. I was also petrified of letting them down, as well as myself, if I failed at weight loss yet again. Something shifted this time around and I was able to ask for support. I have also worked really hard at extending that support to others. I think the combo (giving and receiving support) has made a huge difference.

Great to see you here, Robb / @funchords
  • alphabetsoup2013
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    I want this to be my last major weight loss campaign and know maintenance will be a big test.

Nikki, I felt this way this time around, too: that this needed to be my final attempt at losing weight -- AND that I just don't have it in me to gain the weight back again.

• marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Hey Ann! I understand. I was busy being everything to everybody and asking for help meant failure. My adult daughter told me about mfp b/c she wanted to lose 10 lbs, lol. It made me realize she was concerned for me and we have helped each other. Swapping recipes and she has gotten me to push myself. Would have never started running w/o her encouragement. I had gained and lost before. The friends, stability and accountability of mfp made the difference this time. The big reason I am still here is helping others and having their support keeps me stay focused.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    THank you for sharing your stories. We are all inspired by each & every one of you have inspired me.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Sorry i should have proof read this.
    Let me repeat... U have all inspired me x
  • iamfashiontribes
    iamfashiontribes Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Lesley & I just turned 50 in February.

I'm New to MFP but was on weight watchers for a long time, got to goal & stayed there. Until I wandered off the Reservation. *shakes head* ah well, back to what I know works: portion sizes & tracking. I love the MFP app & community.

I'm a freelance writer. I've been doing Insanity for a while now for my "formal" workouts & I don't have a car right now, so I get a lot of walking in. Including grocery shopping - I live a mile from the Max & another 1/2 mile to the grocery store, so I figure it's helping keep me in good shape! On a serious note, my mom died of breast cancer so regular exercise & keeping my weight down is super important to me.

It's funny tho - once you make the decision to get back on track with food /exercise/weight, something just kind of clicks back into place mentally. And what was such a struggle for so long suddenly ceases. And I'm so glad b/c this is the most in control of life I've felt in a while. A feeling that's way better than any food can bring for me.

Anyway, nice to meet everyone. I look forward to getting to know you & keeping each other inspired on our journeys. :)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Petra, 57, from British Columbia, Canada. I've been on MFP for about 2 years, lost my weight and am now maintaining. Since being here, I've completed the C25K jogging program and run 3x a week. I'm slow and run 5-8K each time (usually closer to 5K). I am also learning tai-chi.
    I work full-time, am married, no kids.
    I look forward to getting to know you all.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Welcome Lesley and Petra! This really is a mental challenge more than anything. Once we get our head straight, the rest follows.
  • BBee5064
    Options

marekdds wrote: »
    Welcome Lesley and Petra! This really is a mental challenge more than anything. Once we get our head straight, the rest follows.

Your so right.. Losing weight is not a physical challenge but a mental one.. Well said
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'm a 55 year old woman who lives about half an hour from bill and Melinda gates (but never met them) in Washington state. I suffer from schizoaffective disorder so my meds have a tendency to make me gain weight. I am a published author, have been married 32 years and have two grown boys. I look forward to making this journey with others my age
  • BBee5064
    Options
    I'm a 55 year old woman who lives about half an hour from bill and Melinda gates (but never met them) in Washington state. I suffer from schizoaffective disorder so my meds have a tendency to make me gain weight. I am a published author, have been married 32 years and have two grown boys. I look forward to making this journey with others my age

Welcome to the group Crazymermaid, we look forward to getting to know u x
  • dv7834
    dv7834 Posts: 11 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    58 yr old male in BC, married.

I've always eaten healthy food, but I eat too much of it.

Went from 214 lbs to 185 lbs 3 yrs ago, but ballooned back to 209. I could give excuses (lost a house), but in the end it's on me. Started at it again, and I have lost several lbs.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi there! My name is Connie, I am 62, and have struggled with my weight my entire life. I know now, without a doubt, that I will always have to track my food and exercise...there is no finish line. It took me soooo long time to understand that concept.

I came back to MFP mid- December after a 6 month pity party. I have no problems with exercise but struggle with finding the right calorie mix for consistent weight loss. I have lost 11.6 since December and am currently stuck at the same weight. It is frustrating.

I am looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Connie
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Jen – Congrats on your maintenance! You hit in on the nail: acknowledgement of past poor choices, never giving up after loss, reasonable exercise / portion control, occasional treats, fat not an option and the great feeling of “fat no more.” NICE WORK! GREAT ATTITUDE.

Connie – It has been a pleasure reading your comments / foods.

73641431.png
  • marekdds
    Options
    Thanks Nikon! Apparently, you have done an amazing job yourself. Congratulations!

Connie, congrats to you too. Making the decision to do this is a life changer.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Hi there! My name is Connie, I am 62, and have struggled with my weight my entire life. I know now, without a doubt, that I will always have to track my food and exercise...there is no finish line. It took me soooo long time to understand that concept.

I came back to MFP mid- December after a 6 month pity party. I have no problems with exercise but struggle with finding the right calorie mix for consistent weight loss. I have lost 11.6 since December and am currently stuck at the same weight. It is frustrating.

I am looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Connie

Great to have you in our group Connie.. Looking forward to getting to know you better :smile:
  • sebenza512
    sebenza512 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! My name is Cassandra and I've been at MFP on and off for about 2 years or so. When I'm working the plan, the plan works. When I'm not working the plan, it doesn't work. So I've gotten recommitted to the plan and have lost 24 pounds since mid-January. My weight has been an issue all of my life -- work stress, bad eating at work, too much drinking (client meetings!), not enough exercise and quitting smoking mean that I am the heaviest I have ever been. Recently, though, I saw a picture of myself in my early 20's and could not believe how great I looked -- even though my memory of myself then was as a fat girl. I realized that I had just internalized my mother's messages to me. So now we stop and now we work at getting healthier. I've been working with a great local trainer 4xweek on kettlebells, TRX and some other bodyweight exercises. I love this -- I'm stronger, my body is changing (for the better) fast and my stamina is great.

Anyway, I'm here to get healthier. I need to be able to raise some H*ll when I retire!

Looking forward to getting to know all of you.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Welcome Cassandra! Sounds like you have a great attitude. I thought I was a fat kid, but looking at old pictures, I really wasn't. Funny how the mind works. This is a mental challenge.
  • alphabetsoup2013
    Options
    sebenza512 wrote: »
    Recently, though, I saw a picture of myself in my early 20's and could not believe how great I looked -- even though my memory of myself then was as a fat girl.

I can totally relate to what you and Jen said about the warped pictures in our own heads.

I grew up believing that I was fat and hideous.

I recently saw a photo of myself in Grade 8 (someone I know posted it on Facebook). I was shocked to realize that I wasn't fat or ugly at all. I was pretty -- but sad and shy. In the photo, I am sitting at a picnic table with a group of kids with my arms covering up my stomach, like I'm trying to hide my weight....