New members - tell us about yourself

Options

Replies

• heyree64
    heyree64 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi all! My name is Marie and I've been at MFP for about a week now. I was on several years ago, lost a few, then life got in the way and time went by and I just didn't care any more. Well, I'm back on track and happy to be here.

I have been up and down (mostly up) on the weight loss ride most of my adult life. I'm a single mom whose nest will be emptying this summer and a cancer survivor twice over. I quit drinking (read: self-medicating my stress away) last summer and now it's time to tackle my weight. I really want to feel better about myself and lose these extra mid-life pounds that are hanging around my middle. I am disgusted with my body every time I look in the mirror.

Since last fall, I have been practicing yoga a couple of times a week, and the peace I find through it is amazing. I look forward to meeting more of you and hearing your stories. Together we can do this.
  • dv7834
    dv7834 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    dv7834 wrote: »
    58 yr old male in BC, married.

I've always eaten healthy food, but I eat too much of it.

Went from 214 lbs to 185 lbs 3 yrs ago, but ballooned back to 209. I could give excuses (lost a house), but in the end it's on me. Started at it again, and I have lost several lbs.

Hi dv7834! Welcome to the group!.... chopped liver.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making some marvelous life changing decisions. You must be tough to beat cancer twice. So you can do this too. Welcome.
  • Glassgal01
    Glassgal01 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a 52 year young woman, married to my Love for 9 years, have 2 grandchildren another one on the way and live in Ca. I have been on and off of my fitness pal for the last 3 years and am ready to take control and lose this weight once and for all. Glad to be a part of this group! Looking for more friends as well! :)
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    sebenza512 wrote: »
    Recently, though, I saw a picture of myself in my early 20's and could not believe how great I looked -- even though my memory of myself then was as a fat girl.

I can totally relate to what you and Jen said about the warped pictures in our own heads.

I grew up believing that I was fat and hideous.

I recently saw a photo of myself in Grade 8 (someone I know posted it on Facebook). I was shocked to realize that I wasn't fat or ugly at all. I was pretty -- but sad and shy. In the photo, I am sitting at a picnic table with a group of kids with my arms covering up my stomach, like I'm trying to hide my weight....

I thought I was hideous in high school too because I was not cool and was the target of several b****s. All girl Catholic schools breed them. Anyway, I was showing my yearbook to my boyfriend and he looked at me like I was crazy. He said I was gorgeous and better looking than the Queen Poodle, which is what an overpermed bully actually looked like. I wasted my youth not thinking I was pretty and certainly not capitalizing on it. I actually like my face now. It's terrible what we let ourselves believe.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    sebenza512 wrote: »
    Recently, though, I saw a picture of myself in my early 20's and could not believe how great I looked -- even though my memory of myself then was as a fat girl.

I can totally relate to what you and Jen said about the warped pictures in our own heads.

I grew up believing that I was fat and hideous.

I recently saw a photo of myself in Grade 8 (someone I know posted it on Facebook). I was shocked to realize that I wasn't fat or ugly at all. I was pretty -- but sad and shy. In the photo, I am sitting at a picnic table with a group of kids with my arms covering up my stomach, like I'm trying to hide my weight....

I thought I was hideous in high school too because I was not cool and was the target of several b****s. All girl Catholic schools breed them. Anyway, I was showing my yearbook to my boyfriend and he looked at me like I was crazy. He said I was gorgeous and better looking than the Queen Poodle, which is what an overpermed bully actually looked like. I wasted my youth not thinking I was pretty and certainly not capitalizing on it. I actually like my face now. It's terrible what we let ourselves believe.

One memory I have is overhearing my mother's monthly group of women playing Pokeno or cards saying, "Connie has such a pretty face..." and that sentence would just hang in the air without the "but"...

I used to hate shopping in the chubby girl section in Sears! :#

I acted like I had a lot of confidence, but I really didn't.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Oh, I remember those days, had to shop in the misses section b/c there wasn't anything in the junior section big enough, so embarrassing. An aunt kept telling me it was baby fat and I would outgrow it. I was 14! Welcome glassgal, good group here.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Hmmm..... lovesretirement - "I used to hate shopping in the chubby girl section in Sears!" reminds me of those "Boys' Husky Pants" also carried by Sears! --- LOL
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    Nikon Pal...thanks for making me laugh.. ;)

It's so nice to communicate with people who "get" it! <3
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    NikonPal wrote: »
    reminds me of those "Boys' Husky Pants" also carried by Sears! --- LOL

Too funny - I was a 'husky' boy too!
  • LinFlemmer331
    LinFlemmer331 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I can so relate! My beloved grandpa used to bounce me on his knee and sing, "I don't want her, you can have her, she's too fat for me." I know he was just playing with me, but.... I also remember the taunts from schoolmates, "fatty, fatty, two by four, can't get through the kitchen door." Then there was the ultimate humiliation, shopping for school clothes. In my day the stupid tops had darts, but I didn't have boobs yet, so it was so embarrassing to be told to stick some socks in my bra. No wonder I felt like such an ugly cow. At 10 years old I was 5'2", 103lbs. Maybe a bit chubby, but a head taller than most my friends. I look back at my pictures and really can't understand why I was treated like that. I was 5'7", with big bones, muscular, with big legs and hips, big feet, and 150 lbs in high school. Felt so bad about myself. I would of been totally in now thanks to JLO. I look back at pictures and think, If only I could be that FAT now!
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Children can be so very cruel to one another, I guess it is a dog eat dog world at times. Many times a word spoken in jest accompanies us for life, I wish it wasn't so.

We need to remember that others cannot, do not, validate who we are, but we ourselves are the only ones who can define this aspect of our lives. Our thoughts on how we believe others perceive us is one key to self-confidence and happiness in this life. We need to love ourselves first, then many more will follow.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Brilliantly said Happy trails and Lin, I too was 5'2" and 103 pounds at 10. Actually when you think about it those stats are terrific, but not when you are the biggest girl in the class. And for me, ultimately 5'6' and 150, it didn't get any better.
  • LinFlemmer331
    LinFlemmer331 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks HappyTrails7, I wish we could learn those lessons earlier in life. I had an aha moment when my son was about 8. He was a beautiful little boy with blond locks and big blue eyes, so cute! When he came home from school in tears because someone called him ugly, it just clicked for me. If they called him ugly and it wasn't true, then maybe all the mean things people said about me weren't true either. Too bad I was 40 years old before it dawned on me. I just asked him if what they said was true. He said no. I told him then he must understand that it says more about them than him. Feel sorry for those people that are cruel, because they must feel really bad about themselves. They just want to be mean and hurt others, it doesn't have anything to do with you! I've shared that with my other two kids and both are in high school. It's helping them to deflect the comments, although my daughter seems to have a tougher time ignoring the bullies.
    Marekdds, yes we were just bigger than others. Now I am starting to feel short, they are growing them bigger these days! Oh and if I could only get back down to my size 12s, 150 lb body, I'd be thrilled! Hindsight is 20/20
  • lynnstacey2
    lynnstacey2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think it must be part and parcel of the human condition to seem to take on all the negative things people say for whatever reasons and claim them as true for us! LOL Lisa Williams (psychic medium) gives hers a name "Veronica"! And Veronica tells her all the negative stuff about not being good enough, pretty enough, smart enough, etc etc. Unfortunately, I think we all have a Veronica too, undermining so much of our confidence! And isn't it so sad that you are told to first love yourself in order to improve yourself, but at the same time society and Veronica are telling you you are NOT worthy of that love because you are overweight!Like the beautiful soul you have just isn't enough to overcome your outward appearance! NOT TRUE people! ALL of us deserve to be seen for the beauty that is US, not our skin, but who we are inside! Lin, I wonder if it just takes a certain amount of maturity to realize those lessons and overcome the insecurities we grow up with? Maybe just part of our life lessons growing up? Keep talking to your kids! I'm sure it helps at least a little, it can't shut out the negativity they get from their peers but at least your voice is there too. I know my mother loved me unconditionally, but she was so obsessed with her own weight, she passed that feeling of being "not good enough" if you had a weight problem to me as well as my kids. My daughter died for it and it's taken me a very long time to overcome most of it, I can't even say all, but I had to stop punishing myself for not being perfect before I was able to get a good handle on losing my own weight.
  • thinmog
    thinmog Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm 53, married with 2 boys (27 and 22, and a great daughter-in-law). My whole life has been about others. I'm actually learning from a younger generation how to put yourself first. I'm also involved in helping my elderly parents. If I'm not healthy and happy, I don't put my best foot forward in helping others. So maybe alittle late, I'm trying to get healthy so I can be better for myself and others.
  • marekdds
    Options
    I think it is pretty common to try to be everything to everyone and ignore yourself. Now that I am slimmer, I have more energy, so it is a win for everybody.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 52 working to get back down about 30 pounds, but am I the onE who gets predators on here?

Welcome to our group. It's a great place to be when we need support :)
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    thinmog wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm 53, married with 2 boys (27 and 22, and a great daughter-in-law). My whole life has been about others. I'm actually learning from a younger generation how to put yourself first. I'm also involved in helping my elderly parents. If I'm not healthy and happy, I don't put my best foot forward in helping others. So maybe alittle late, I'm trying to get healthy so I can be better for myself and others.

Welcome thinmog,
    You have definitely got the right idea. Put yourself & your health first & then u are in a better position to help others.
    We look forward to watching your journey.. ;)
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I'm 54, divorced, but have been in a relationship for 13 years so it feels like we're married. I have a 27 year old son. I've been on MFP for 3 years. I'm a slacker when it comes to logging food. I'd like to lose 40 more pounds. I'm down around 30, so that's about 10 pounds a year. I'm making very slow progress! I like to jazzercise for exercise, and have been going 4-6 days a week for over 10 years. I have arthritis (osteo), and this helps to keep my joints moving. I am stiff like an old dog at times.