Can you go low carb high fat and stay under 1,300 calories?

Options
Jennym93
Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
I keep going way over my calories, I've even put them up to 1,400 and still going over.
I've been pretty bad lately with my carbs and I'm finding I want to eat constantly, I might not even be hungry it's just habit to eat and I don't feel 'full' but if I don't eat then I end up overeating later.
What can I do? I just want to binge on anything in the house

Replies

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Sounds, to me, like you're emotionally, time, or habit eating. You might look at meditation, rather than calories, to become self-aware of your true hunger levels. Nerd Fitness has a great article on meditation.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/03/16/meditation-building-the-superpower-you-didnt-even-know-you-had/#more-25483
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    It IS possible to stay around 1300 calories on LCHF, my calorie target for the day is 1360, if I don't work out, I rarely ever eat that much. If I do workout I eat back about 100 of the calories MFP says I burned...except for last night, last night I ate all of the foods. The benefit of going LCHF is that the food you eat should be keeping you full, leading to an automatic reduction in calories consumed. Octo is also right about paying attention to when you are truly hungry.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If you can, just go cold turkey on carb-laden snacks for a week or two. If you try to indulge even once at this early stage, you're going to crave more. If you can get into the habit, you'll find your cravings start to wane. You want to get into the mindset of carbs=POISON. :)
  • Jennym93
    Options
    Thanks :) I'm getting back into it tomorrow/from now really dropping my carbs back down, I can see the unpleasant effects of carbs on my stomach already, I think eating things like ice cream or even cereals is just going to cause cravings that I can't deal with (explains a lot about my previous eating anyway) as I'm a sugar addict.
    I find deciding what to eat is hard, I don't like eating the same things repeatedly. Which leads to me waiting ages to eat and then binging, it's an unpleasant cycle and a big part of why I'm so overweight.
    Could anyone give me some really basic ideas for meals just as a starting point?
    I've got a pinterest and I pin a fair few meals on there, I'm following a few low carbers too but I'm still kind of stuck.
    I'm aiming for under 100g of carbs a day.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Quite a lot of sugar in there - 40+ grams. How about bacon and egg for breakfast ? Or a cheese omelette, or similar. Fat and protein, not carby cereal based.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'd strongly recommend bacon and eggs, egg salad, deviled eggs, etc for breakfast and snack. Cut out cereal, ice cream, all that. Ground beef in scrambled eggs is good and can be precooked.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Deviled eggs! Why haven't I made that yet? :sweat_smile:
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs are super easy to grab and go if you are in a hurry. Egg salad can be made to taste slightly different each time depending on what you season it with. I just fried up a pound of ground turkey breast that I will use for lunches in many different ways, tacos made with lettuce wraps, Asian style lettuce wraps with some stir fried zucchini and broccoli thrown in, sometimes I just mix it with mayo and onion powder and eat it with a spoon ( I get super hungry after weight lifting and this is the fastest way to feed my face LOL). Ground beef can be done the same way, cooked with minimal spices so that you can use it many dishes.
  • Jennym93
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs are super easy to grab and go if you are in a hurry. Egg salad can be made to taste slightly different each time depending on what you season it with. I just fried up a pound of ground turkey breast that I will use for lunches in many different ways, tacos made with lettuce wraps, Asian style lettuce wraps with some stir fried zucchini and broccoli thrown in, sometimes I just mix it with mayo and onion powder and eat it with a spoon ( I get super hungry after weight lifting and this is the fastest way to feed my face LOL). Ground beef can be done the same way, cooked with minimal spices so that you can use it many dishes.

until now I never considered adding chopped up bacon (first thing that popped into my head) to eggs and mayo but now I want to and multiple other meats thank you :)
  • knewme76
    knewme76 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am doing low carb as well. Have you tried freezing whipped topping and pairing it with frozen berries? This works to kill my cravings. I dont eat it alot becuase of any added sugars but it works most times. I have started back on the low carb thing about ten days ago and I am down 14 pounds. Everyone is right about the eggs and the bacon in the morning :)
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I just tasted a 6oz 0% Fage yogurt that I mixed with a 1/2 tblsspoon of diet hot cocoa mix, and it turned into a custardy type of dessert that tasted (well, sort of) like ice cream. Very satisfying!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    If I don't force myself to eat more at the end of the day, I average 1000-1300, and I'm at 5/75/20. Another option for the morning is loaded coffee (I cringe at calling it bullet proof). Add whole cream, coconut oil, and/or butter to it. It ups your fat, and increases your satiety with it.
  • Metruis
    Metruis Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Sure it is! You just end up eating rather differently. For example, a standard day for me ends up being coffee + 12 full fat creamers until 5, bacon and eggs for my first meal after work, and then whatever variation of meat + veggies I feel like for dinner... and fruit/nuts/etc as snacks in the middle.

It's just, we tend to not know how to recognize the feeling of real hunger, and eat out of habit, because bored... so on and so forth.

Bacon and eggs, though, man, that's what I live on.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I agree with (almost) everything above. I am an ex-sugar addict so I am very much a believer in cold turkey. My suggestion is aim to get all your carbs from veggies and only veggies, except for those few hidden in dairy and meats. Until you're adjusted, no treats. Period. That took me about 3 days to get over as long as I ate enough saturated fat. So I'm all for the fat enhanced coffee in the morning and eggs/bacon and spinach for breakfast. I usually have to push to get in my 1200 calories. So much so that if you check my diary, I've actually stopped counting cause I know it's fairly likely I'm just going to be under for the day or right around that. So the occasional day of going over I'm not worried. It'll even out in the end.
  • Jennym93
    Options
    Thank you again :)
    I'll start out with coffee with cream and milk (and maybe some butter) it feels really weird to be eating cream/butter like that though.
    I did have a cream and whole milk protein shake today and it filled me really well, it was only because I felt like I was supposed to be eating and my stomach no longer felt full that I started to eat unnecessarily.
    Because of the amount I ate today I've skipped dinner in favour of coffee with single cream and I'm no longer hungry.
    I do find that I want to pack in loads of food in my meals, I need to learn to keep my calories in the 1300 -1500 range, portion size is something I need to learn too.
    I will cut out as much sugar as possible now, the only thing is I'm adding in small amounts of fruit because I'm nervous what I'm eating isn't healthy enough but if that's going to make kicking the sugar/carb habit I'm happy to drop them for a week or two, I'm trying to add in vegetables as well where I can.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    Options
    You may want to keep your fruits to berries if you do want fruit, as they have less sugar. Green, above ground veggies are best. You are good with the protein shake, maybe leave out the whole milk as there is a lot of sugar there too. Portion size is important, and you will see that you have an easier time controlling it when you eat certain foods, fats and proteins are more filling :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    If you can, just go cold turkey on carb-laden snacks for a week or two. If you try to indulge even once at this early stage, you're going to crave more. If you can get into the habit, you'll find your cravings start to wane. You want to get into the mindset of carbs=POISON. :)

I'm not low carb, but I would agree that you should go cold turkey on the snacks. Get your carbs from green vegetables. Tame your sweet tooth by going cold turkey.

• cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I find that i eat fewer calories if i make sure to eat regularly throughout the day. if i go too long without eating anything, i get insatiably hungry. i also try to include fats throughout the day -- macademia nuts, olive oil, avocados and loaded coffee. Most days i aim to stay under 1400 calories.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Jennym93 wrote: »
    Thanks :) I'm getting back into it tomorrow/from now really dropping my carbs back down, I can see the unpleasant effects of carbs on my stomach already, I think eating things like ice cream or even cereals is just going to cause cravings that I can't deal with (explains a lot about my previous eating anyway) as I'm a sugar addict.
    I find deciding what to eat is hard, I don't like eating the same things repeatedly. Which leads to me waiting ages to eat and then binging, it's an unpleasant cycle and a big part of why I'm so overweight.
    Could anyone give me some really basic ideas for meals just as a starting point?
    I've got a pinterest and I pin a fair few meals on there, I'm following a few low carbers too but I'm still kind of stuck.
    I'm aiming for under 100g of carbs a day.

Bacon Wrapped Baked Stuffed Jalepenos
    An Alternative to Batch Cooking
    Cream Cheese, Bacon & Chicken
    Do You Like Fatty Beef? Try Corned Beef
    Almond Joy Wanna Be's (fat bomb recipe)

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • stefne888
    stefne888 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am so making those Almond Joys!!