Active in April

Options

Replies

• whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough - I'm not terribly sore this morning. WOW! There's progress for ya!!

I was exhausted last night, and the hubby was out of town for work. So I just ordered pizza for the kids (yeah!) and I scavenged a meal out of the fridge that was centered around hummus. :smiley: My DD had a friend over to work on a school project, so my son & I got out of the way and hung out upstairs. That only made me even more lethargic, so I went to bed just a short while after I got the kids to bed. So for once I can actually say I had a good night's sleep!!! But I got NOTHING done at all last night. Oh well, it was a good trade-off, and I'd do it again!!

My DD wants to run just like me, so I told her that she could come with me for a run tonight. I just have to try a short one to see how my knee does. I'm thinking just 1km should do it. Wish me luck!!

• liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, so nice to see so many of you!

Just a quick note to say I'm reading along and happy to hear so many good things! I had my dress fitting on Tuesday and I love my dress and seeing it fit me actually made me immediately stop stressing so much (and what do you know, I hardly craved any sweets yesterday?!?).

Now work is crazy again but I've been keeping up my T25 at night. Only 2 weeks left!!

Peas, gah so sorry to hear about your posting troubles! That is the most annoying thing!!!
    Jean, woohoo re renos!! What a relief that they are nearly done!!
    Zooty, what is a mammer jammer smoothie?! I'm intrigued. Also, my sister suggested the same thing (journaling) but I love your idea about doing it at times when I'm feeling a craving. I'm going to try that! I have a cute little notebook at home that I can keep in the kitchen/living room too. Thanks!
    Karrie, that story is so depressing and also not surprising I guess, but I am selfishly happy that I love asparagus at least! Haha. Hope your arms feel less like jelly soon lol. Love that your daughter wants to join you running!!!
    Mihani, sorry to hear about your freak sickness, that sounds awful. I'm glad you're feeling more normal. Your fruit salad dessert actually really sounds decadent, I'm going to try that. I kept it in mind last night when I wanted something sweet after dinner and my workout - I went to fruit! Woohoo!
    Laura, good luck with Economics... that sounds tough. I also struggle with perfectionism and I know that takes me further off the path. I'm trying to remind myself of big picture so that I stay on track, but it's definitely hard!

Happy Friday Eve everyone! xx
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Naughty_ZOOT Posts: 4,305 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    WHN/Karrie-how cool is that when your DD wants to run with you! How old is she? I wish I could get my daughters to work out with me. DH and I got a fitness center family membership that our youngest (she is 19) could go to but nope, she isn't interested so that just sits. Our oldest (she is 23) wants to use it but if she got caught not being her sister then we would lose the membership rights. The fact that they both have access to a brand new amazing student founded fitness center on campus that they won't use (even when I suggest they scope out the guys,lol) frustrates me. They pay fees for it every semester along with the other campus fitness facilities. What a waste.

Lia, Being a newb here, am I correct in assuming that this is a wedding dress fitting? <3 My mammer jammer smoothie (inspired by Mark Sisson's lunchtime Big *kitten* Salad) is a full quart of green goodness with some fruit, protein powder (using hemp atm), flax and chia usually. Tons of fiber and floods my body with great nutrition. The smoothies vary and I just wad as much green matter into the Vitamix container as I can along with water. YW for the journaling suggestion; I hope it proves to be an enjoyable experience :) .

Here was yesterdays:
    Ginger root - Raw, 1 tbsp(s)
    Nutiva - Usda Organic Hemp Protein Hi-fiber, 30 g (3 Tbsp)
    World Organic - Liquid Chlorophyll 50 Mg, 1 tablespoon
    Taylor Farms - *organic Power Greens, 85 g / 3oz./ 2 cups
    Flax Seed - Organic Golden Whole, 2 Tbls. (27g)
    Spectrum - Ground Chia Seed, 1 tbsp
    Bush's - Black Beans Seasoned, 0.06 Cup
    Long English Cucumber - Raw, 1.98 Inches
    Townsend Farms - Triple Berry Blend (Frozen), 0.75 Cup
    Fresh - Baby Bok Choy, 1 baby bok choy
    Totals 324 cal 42 (16) carb 21 protein 14 fat 26 fiber 10 sugar

Today's:
    Whole Foods - Organic Raw Lacinato Kale (Dinosaur Kale), 1 cup raw
    Taylor Farms - *organic Power Greens, 42.5 g / 3oz./ 2 cups
    Celery - Raw, 1 cup chopped
    Chard - Swiss, raw, 1 cup
    Generic - Collard Greens, Raw, 0.25 cup, chopped (36g)
    Wyman's - Fresh Frozen Wild Blueberries, 1 Cup
    Flax Seed - Organic Golden Whole, 1 Tbls. (27g)
    Generic - Ground Chia Seeds, 2 tbsp
    Ginger root - Raw, 1 tbsp(s)
    Beans - Black, cooked, boiled, with salt, 1 tbsp(s)
    Cocoa - Dry powder, unsweetened, processed with alkali (Dutch cocoa), 1 tbsp(s)
    Nutiva - Usda Organic Hemp Protein Hi-fiber, 30 g (3 Tbsp)
    Parsley - Raw, Organic, 10 sprigs (10g)
    Totals 357 cal 63 (34) carb 24 protein 12 fat 29 fiber 14 sugar
  • liapr
    edited April 2015
    Options
    WOW ZOOT!!!!!!!!! Those smoothies are nothing short of heroic!!!!!!!!!

And yes, wedding dress fitting! I've got two months to go (and honestly didn't think it would be stressful at all, but I'm already worrying).
  • whats_her_name
    Options
    My DD is only 9. The other night she was all emotional and she said she wants to be just like me and she wants to spend more time with me. She said I am totally cool with running and knitting and sewing and she just wants to work out with me and craft with me. I have to jump on that before that ship sails!!! :lol:

This morning's workout has me sore. 130 squats, 80 deadlifts, 100 kettlebell swings, 120 crunches. My back is actually the most sore part of me. The kettlebell swings really do a number on my lower back. My coach said that most people wouldn't have come to leg day after just 1 week of taking it easy on my knee. She said that's something to be proud of. :smiley:

I've gotten my measurements back and I lost a total of 3-1/2 inches this round. Probably more, because I was measured after the workout instead of before. But it's good, and I'll take it.

I'm going to get my meal plans out and prep some food on Sunday so that I'm covered all next week. It's go time. Time to get serious about the weight loss this round!!
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Lia, how exciting!!!! Congratulations :)<3:)

Since today is a shopping day with my Mom and I will eat lunch out I made my morning mug muffin and then a small smoothie which I had not been brave enough to face in the morning. It was fine! I am one of those people who could never eat dinner foods at breakfast; I just think that they are revolting first thing in the morning. Now that I did the smoothie so that I could be sure and get my veggies today, I will definitely repeat it and next time I will probably make a normal one and skip the mug muffin.
    DH and I went to the gym again last night and I got my 6 mile goal accomplished to the tune of 7 1/4 miles. I am a happy girl :)
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,897 Member
    Options
    busy busy busy couple days, but... I am taking tomorrow out of the office and going to work on cleaning up this mess of a house of mine. I have let it descend into total chaos while I've been working like a maniac. I should go to the office, but I'm not going to. I'm rebelling! I already started on the kitchen tonight. Cleaning is good exercise too.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

DH and I shut down the gym last night at 10 pm

Is that like shutting down the bar? Do they dim the lights, or call out, 'Last call?' :)

I tried ( again ) to catch up on most of your posts... but, there's just so many. And so much progress.

So, a giant group hug for everyone.

poohgrouphug.gif

I have something to report... to me, it's good news. The bad news is, I was going out of control with the binging on sweets.... the dark chocolate maintenance program wasn't working for me, anymore. When I say out of control, I mean, in the 1,000 calorie a night binge neighborhood. The scale would back that up. Then, I think it was last Saturday, I went to the gym. I was under the gun, to get my workout done, and get home for some reason. What the hell was it :grey_question: Oh well, I digress. So, I did my 5 min warmup, and got on the first machine, and did 2 of 3 sets, fighting to make myself do it. I often have little chats with myself, that I could quit, maybe do it tomorrow, whatever... occasionally cut things a bit short. I do this in the pool as well, I always go with the intention of doing 60 'laps,' and often talk myself into doing less. But, I'm rarely less than proud of whatever I wind up doing. Saturday was different. After 2 sets, I just got up and walked out. I know myself, I've been here before, and this was some kind of turning point. This was gonna be the first day of the downfall. I could feel it.

So, I knew I had to go back the next day and forget that this ever happened. But, it also drove home, how badly the binging was affecting my progress. So, I had to do something else. I had to stop binging immediately. But, if wishes were horses... and the road to hell, and all that... so.... without thinking about it too much, the next day I bought a box of Nicorette gum. I know what you guys are thinking, and you, Mihani, who I publicly shamed into quitting that stuff... ( OK, maybe not quite publicly shamed :lol: but I was pretty self-righteous about it ) and how I preached how addictive and evil the *kitten* is.... Well, I'm back on the freakin' gum. And you know what? It was the right thing to do. I might not say that, in a month or two, when I go to try and quit again, but for now... it was a move, and I had to make a move. So, the very next day, no binge. Go to the gym, and freakin' kill it. I all of a sudden understood why people take pre-workout 'supplements' ( often laced with caffeine ) I was a big sloth-like bundle of energy.

And for the last week, I've stuck to a nice little eating pattern, obviously no more ETL than, ever... but, decent, and even when eating SAD like dinners, if prepared by the wife.... taking much more reasonable portions. I'm down a touch of the Oreo weight, and feel less bloated. I've managed to go to the gym after work on workout days... which is always hard for me to find motivation for.

I'm totally sure it's the gum. I'd say it's suppressing my appetite somewhat... it's definitely become a complete substitute for the sweets, and it seems to give me energy in the gym. Now, I know I'm gonna have to quit, sooner than later... but I needed something. I would have folded up like an accordion, had I not made some kind of move.

So, TL;DR.... things have been good for the last week. I'm an addict again, but things have been good.

B)
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    My group hug pic might have disappeared?

profilethai_group_hug_with_pooh_1024_1585.jpg

And I might have been a bit rude, not greeting those that I haven't yet met, before going of on my self-absorbed rant. So, HI :wink: to everyone I haven't been around to greet. I'm the group's token male / sloth / hangaround. Scott, or sloth. I answer to both.
  • Mihani
    Options
    It has been quite some time since I have been able to use my judging smiley at Sloth :huh: But that said, I hope that your idea works for you and that kicking the nicotine gum won't be too rough.
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Options
    Nice to meet you Scott :) .

My day began with a 6 am wake up call from my mother asking me to come pick them up at the ER because my dad basically had a panic attack in the middle of the night and she had called an ambulance. They are not driving for various reasons and so that was an adrenaline rush start to the day. That messed me up with meals and I didn't get breakfast until noon. I ate bacon (yep, I did it) and my mug muffin then took a short nap and then helped DH install the new tow bar for our bike rack that has been gathering dust after the previous vehicle got creamed and the bar along with it. Time to ride the greenways trails again! The kids went to campus to play Dungeons and Dragons with friends so we had the day to ourselves. After that I made one of my mammer-jammer green smoothies and slogged that back while rebounding to the Farmageddon DVD and then we went to the gym. We both upped our weights and then walked a couple of more miles on the outside track on top of the day's progress. Dinner was 2 small baby back rib segments, a big ole' pile of yellow summer squash and a Mark Sisson Big ### Salad. I was pleasantly satisfied and my glucose was fantabulous so the day ended well despite the rocky start. I have to admit that when I saw that teeny bit of smoked rib I thought that I would have to get up for more but nope! I am very happy to say that these small portions of meat are proving to be just fine and after one week officially beginning the ramp up of the veggies and fruits that I am loving this! In fact, I said to DH tonight that I may just have to invest in a second refrigerator for the produce overflow, lol. So I didn't get to weigh myself today as planned but I was down 1 lb earlier in the week and my glucose improved even more. I am encouraged that now in time that I may be able to get my HgbA1c down to 5.0 or below naturally and that would be amazing! So my plan is to continue tweaking and ramping up for the next week and see how I do.
  • Mihani
    Options
    I took the whole weekend off other than doing a little bookwork here at home this evening. I made a dent in the housecleaning, did some furniture rearranging, got all the piled up towels and bedding and coats and blankets laundered. I got to the grocery and have stuff for salads this week and some fruit. I am going back to smoothies for breakfast and lunch. I got a bit off track this past week. Sheer laziness in prepping/planning.

I read all your posts, will take more time to catch up this week. I'm off to bed. I really want to start morning workouts, even if it is just 15 or 20 minutes, and that is going to require a pretty strict bedtime.
  • Phoenix4me18
    Phoenix4me18 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Morning all! Another week and another chance to find balance in this crazy thing called life. Last week was heavy on reading and homework for school in the evenings. Thankfully though my hard work during the week paid off on the weekend and I only had to spend a couple hours early Saturday and Sunday mornings wrapping stuff up. The rest of the time was filled with grocery shopping, running kids around and actually got to go to my daughter's soccer game Sunday and enjoy a little sunshine. Seriously considering stopping school after my next class and focusing my efforts then on reviewing for my CPA. I think my inability to keep things balanced and the impact it has on my health and happiness are pretty big indicators on what I need to do. I have been doing a lot of research on being a CPA and realized that just because I am a CPA doesn't necessarily mean I have to do taxes which was the one thing I did NOT want to have to tackle as a CPA. Really, ideally, I would love to open my own business managing the books for smaller companies. I love bookkeeping. I love spreadsheets. Yes. I am a nerd and proud of it! LOL I just need to decide if there is any kind of demand for that. If I stop taking classes after my next class and start studying for my CPA I should hopefully be done in the next 12-15 months. Versus closer to 30 months. That's the plan for now. Feels good to not be on the fence any more.

I was also able to have some really long conversations with my husband about my struggle to keep everything balanced while in school and where I am having a hard time staying focused on my health. He provided me with some of his observations which were really, really interesting and encouraged me to make the changes I needed to make and not worry about him. I tend to get so focused on how my actions affect other people that I wind up with a big bunch of no-action. So, the light bulb kind of went off and I went - ah...ok!

Going to take some time to catch up on everything that I missed! Hope everyone is doing well!
  • liapr
    Options
    Hi guys, happy Monday (as happy as that can be).

I had a really nice weekend! I finallllyyyyyy got to go on the hike I've been craving for weeks. I went with my parents, fiance and my 9yr old puppy and we did about 2 hours (probably just a wink for Sharon!) but I really felt like all my exercising had made me feeling really strong! It was a beautiful day too. However no idea why, but afterwards, my hips and back were pretty sore and stiff! Lol. Figures. But oh well, I will just have to make sure I keep going so I get better. It felt nice to try a different kind of exercise too.

This marks my last week of T25! I ordered Insanity Max 30, which I hear is quite a bit more intense, but I like the 30 minutes. And I'm looking forward to some new DVDs!

Sloth, I'm glad you found something that is working for you!! I totally hear you on the binge-ing, I've been having trouble with the same. I am hoping I had the same bulb that went on last night. I KNOW that I have to replace it with something more productive also, I'm just trying to find my "nicorette".

Laura, awesome that you had a light bulb moment too! What are your little goals going forward?? I also love spreadsheets but I wish I knew better how to use them! Haha.

Mihani, woooooo we are so happy and proud you had the weekend to yourself!! At long last!!! How did you sleep?

Zooty, great job on the weekend!! Sorry to hear about your Dad though, how scary. Is everything okay now?

I spent a small fortune on a ton of amazing fruits and veggies and I'm ready for a healthy week!!
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Options
    NewMe, I had a similar conversation with my DH today at lunch about balancing the serious stress load increase in helping my parents, managing kids and home life for us, my health journey, wanting to sell and move and also considering returning to school or work. I asked him to please recognize that even though I do not work outside the home I have experienced a massive increase in emotional and physical stressors in the last 6 months that nobody else in the family has had to take on to the same extent. He is very good and would be the first one to tell anyone that being at home is still 100% work and far more demanding in many ways since it is a 24/7 job. I do not sit around watching soap operas and stuffing bon-bons, lol.
    I mentioned my desire again to sell and move as soon as we can. Our multi-neighborhood Spring garage sale is this coming weekend and we have missed being able to get ready for that once again. I do not want to wait until the Fall sale in October to get rid of stuff that I do not want to move which is currently in our way. I wanted to work on that project last week but I just found that I needed a break from everything except taking care of me and so I deliberately and guilt free took it off the agenda. I was rebounding while we talked at lunch and told him that exercise was, for me, self-preservation in action and that it has been wonderful in improving how I feel and my overall health. He has noticed! So I need to get my schedule organized as best that I can but there are always variables with my parents and kids. Fortunately I am not a rigid person but constant juggling can get old. I may have to find myself grabbing snatches of time to do things in a pick it up/drop it sort of fashion and that is okay, too. I am glad that you have made some decisions and that you are pleased with them because that is wonderful progress. I know a couple of friends who did exactly what you mentioned and they have their own offices. One does do taxes but the other does not. Some other friends have opted to work for larger local firms in order to do a specific client list rather than taxes. Being in that environment lets them pick and choose what areas they want to work within. That may be a way to explore opening your own firm in the future or you could just go for it and be 100% your own boss.

• whats_her_name
    Options
    Balancing? You mean I'm supposed to be balancing it all?? I'm failing miserably at that. I only have enough focus for 1 thing. I'm getting up early, I'm working out. And I'm supposed to still cook for my family, cook for myself, keep the house clean, stay on top of the kids' homework, chauffeur the kids all over town to their varied activities, do the laundry, and still get to sleep at a reasonable hour so I can do it all again the next day?!?!?!

Nope. That's not all happening. :frowning:
  • Phoenix4me18
    Phoenix4me18 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Missed my morning post, so trying to sneak one in between things right now. Yesterday, while, over my calories and not entirely on plan (yesterday required a nice cold beer…it just did) was still successful. I got home super stressed and done with the day and the house was just stressed all around. I was running around trying to do a bunch of things all at once when I had this overwhelming urge to just stuff my face. It dawned on me that being stressed and overwhelmed must be one of my triggers. So, I basically just escaped for a while. I had a big drink of water and then took one of my dogs on a walk. By the time we got back I felt better. And I got over 9K steps in – which is awesome considering how bad I have been doing. And I logged every single thing. So, taking it as a success.

Liapr – glad you got in your hike. It sounds so nice! We have a membership to a nature center and I keep renewing it hoping to go on their extensive trails more. Every year I tend to chicken out. No one wants to go with me and I have a wayyy too over active imagination that worries about what would happen if something happened to me out there alone. I think my goals to get back on track is to start with the basics: 1) get back to drinking water – somehow I have gotten away from this lately and I need to get back to it 2) start working on reducing my portions of everything but my salads – my portions have gotten pretty crazy. I need to start using smaller containers and maybe try the smaller plate theory. 3) make a commitment to some kind of activity daily – even if it is only for 10 minutes. Just to commit to doing something. I figure I will start there and work up. Feels a bit back to basics, but, sometimes I think that is needed to regain momentum.

Zoot – being at home is definitely 1000% work! And you are totally right – it is 24/7. I have the utmost respect for people that are able to do that. It is nice to hear from so many that I am not the only one that struggles to maintain a balance in life. I think when you have that balance and you find things that keep you grounded it definitely seems to show up to others. When I was on break from classes my kids and husband said it was like living with a different person. Apparently, I am not pleasant when I am going to school. So, to hear that, it was a bit of an eye opener and I found it interesting to hear their observations. Thanks for sharing about your friends as well. I think part of my apprehension is just not knowing what being a CPA will look like. I have been trying to do more and more research to show myself that there are a lot of opportunities. Opening my own place and being my own boss would be like a dream come true. (I think at least!)

Whats her name – it is like you took the running dialogue straight out of my head and put it in black and white! Every day I wake up and say something like – “ok, today is Tuesday…just two more days after today in the office, one day working from home and then I can deal with school and everything else that has piled up….” It is like a mad dash to get through the week to the weekend where I can at least take work off the list and let that spot fill up with everything else.

Sloth – hi! Nice to “meet” you! I can totally relate to your comments about binging. The “dark chocolate maintenance program” cracked me up only because I have been there so many times. I could also relate to your experience at the gym. I tend to avoid the gym, after so many years I just know it isn’t for me, but, have experienced something similar when on my treadmill. Glad you went back and got in something you could be proud of. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Work has been filled with more feelings of just being hugely overwhelmed, which, always seems to make things worse. Tonight I have got to get home and get a handle on my Economics reading, but, plan to tackle it after I get in a walk with my dog. Thought I would share a pic of her because I will probably talk about her a bunch!

5i8w0jw45syn.jpg

• liapr
    Options
    Laura, she is soooooo cute!!!! She looks so cuddly too. I would like to one day have a smaller dog that I could handle a little easier. I always tend to have big dogs and they are harder to force cuddling, loll.

The dog walking really really does help clear the mind!

I'm not "happy" but sort of relieved that everyone seems to have trouble balancing things. I don't even have children, so I can't imagine adding that to the mix, but house/dog/commute/practice/wedding seems to be enough, I never seem ahead of the game.

Even as I'm writing and thinking about my work week, I want to go home and have ice cream for dinner, lol. I wish I was one of those people that didn't eat when I get stressed, but unfortunately not! Oh well. I will try out your awesome idea and resolve, Laura, and do the walk + water!
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    Balancing? You mean I'm supposed to be balancing it all?? I'm failing miserably at that. I only have enough focus for 1 thing. I'm getting up early, I'm working out. And I'm supposed to still cook for my family, cook for myself, keep the house clean, stay on top of the kids' homework, chauffeur the kids all over town to their varied activities, do the laundry, and still get to sleep at a reasonable hour so I can do it all again the next day?!?!?!

Nope. That's not all happening. :frowning:

mom-cat-balancing-act.jpg

NewMe9597 wrote: »
    Thought I would share a pic of her because I will probably talk about her a bunch!

Nice to meet you, too. Cute dog. It looks like she might have big eyes? :wink:
    liapr wrote: »

I'm not "happy" but sort of relieved that everyone seems to have trouble balancing things.

Balance = Moderation? And I think we all know where we stand on that. :huh:
  • whats_her_name
    Options
    Here's what I say to your moderation...

Animated-gif-baby-sticking-out-tongue-picture-moving.gif