Beginner - pain in shins

Options
I'm very new to running and really enjoying it, apart from the pain in my shins. Hubs mentioned shin splints to which i said "Where do i get those from?" only for him to laugh and say no, its what the pain is called - silly me!

Could this be down to my trainers. I just got some running trainers from Sports Direct, but now I've seen people talk about getting fitted etc. There is a running shop opposite my work... would parting with some money for better trainers stop the pains?

Any advice would be great. Strangely it doesn't hurt when I jog, only when walking. I feel like I slap my feet on the ground when I walk, and not walk properly - if that makes sense!

Replies

• evonthie
    evonthie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing! Switched my shoes from Nike to Asics...doesnt happen anymore.
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. Proper shoes are very essential. I love my Asics, but what works for one person may not for another. Do get fitted for shoes; this helped me a lot. Another thing that helped me with shin splints is compression sleeves; I really like the CEP brand. I found a lot of good advice from Runner's World and Run Haven websites.
  • ChelleBelle2708
    ChelleBelle2708 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies... there is a running shop near me at work, so I'm going at lunchtime to have a gait analysis done and hopefully buy some proper trainers
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Put your gear needs in your wish list - whether it is Birthday, Christmas or NSV Celebratory gift.
  • LBoggie77
    LBoggie77 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, I went and got fitted for some shiny new running shoes. I ended up getting Saucony's, and I have to say, it's been a great investment! 3rd run in, and no pain.
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I went to a local running store & got Hoka brand shoes. They look a little goofy (they have pretty thick soles) but the insole is full of air pockets & they feel AMAZING. I started out with horrible shin pain & now I have zero. True running shoes have cushioning to help you roll more instead of coming down hard on your toes or heels. See if you have anywhere nearby that you can try out some good shoes :)
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    karla24687 wrote: »
    I went to a local running store & got Hoka brand shoes. They look a little goofy (they have pretty thick soles) but the insole is full of air pockets & they feel AMAZING. I started out with horrible shin pain & now I have zero. True running shoes have cushioning to help you roll more instead of coming down hard on your toes or heels. See if you have anywhere nearby that you can try out some good shoes :)

I've noticed all those track athletes running in platform shoes, or perhaps not. If Hoka's work for you, then that's great but there are alternatives depending on what you need/ want. Personally, I run in Skoras and Vibram five fingers, so 8-11 mm of rubber sole with very little padding. I don't get shin splints either. Might be something else then?
  • hbarnesccs
    hbarnesccs Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I got fitted and it made all the difference in the world!
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @ftrobbie

I know they're not what "real runners" wear, but that's ok for me. I don't know what it is, but they do help my leg pain. Maybe because I am really out of shape, who knows. I'm on my feet all day at work, so even walking barefoot on the floor hurts my feet & legs. I don't get the "barefoot running" idea but I know the Vibram shoes are really popular so it must work for a lot of people!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Hoka and Altra are reasonably popular, the maximal style has some benefits. Equally for some they're likely to lead to an increased injury risk due to reduced surface feel and a raised centre of gravity.

Different people benefit from different types of shoe; motion control wouldn't generally have much cushioning, whereas cushioning is more beneficial to an under-pronator.
  • jenncalicollins617
    jenncalicollins617 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    karla24687 wrote: »

When I was fitted, hoka was one of the brands they had me try as well, fell.in.love. as a new runner I was really surprised by what a good shoe does. No more pain! But I agree, a little goofy looking. ;)