Girls: Essentials for running?

Options
I've always loved walking but this summer I am planning to run a 5k by August or September. I want to start C25K in the next month or so when it starts to warm up, so I'm wanting to know the essentials? Or are there any?

I usually just wear cropped yoga pants or soffe shorts and a racer back top. Do I need to purchase a sports bra? I usually just wear a cheap stretchy pull over bra since I don't have a big chest. But will I need more support when I actually start running for long periods of time? I'm gonna purchase a new pair of sneakers, too. I have an arm band to put my phone in so I can listen to music and the C25K app. Anything else I need?

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well, I'm a 30C (bit smaller than 32B, so, pretty darn flat) and wear a sports bra, but I think "cheap stretchy pull over" (from Target's athleticwear section) about covers what I use.

If you're running outside, you will probably want dedicated running sunglasses that stay in place and hug your face pretty snugly, blocking glare that reflects off the pavement as well as straight ahead.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Do get a sports bra. You can get one cheaply from amazon. The Karimoor ones are pretty good.

Also if you can afford them get proper running shoes. Best purchase I have made in the last 5 years (I bought them 2 years ago). Go to a shop and get your gait analysed before buying though.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I also wear a "cheap stretchy pull over" bra and that works well for me.

Take your walking shoes to a running store and have them fit your feet with a good pair of shoes. It'll make a world of difference in how you feel while and after running.
    Watch your pacing. Start slow. The most common reason to give up is not being able to run the run periods of C25K, even at the beginning. This just means you need to slow down; not give up. :smile:

You'll do great. You have a good base because of your walking.
  • Danni_peck
    Options
    If it's warm out, get a pair of running shorts. As for a bra, that might depend on if you're wearing a compression shirt. I'm a 32DD, so I have to wear a sports bra. Also shoes will help you so much. If you don't have running shoes, you might become prone to shin splints, and those suck.

I hope this helps :D
  • summer92008
    summer92008 Posts: 202
    Options
    I'm honestly not even sure what size I actually am in a bra because I always wear super padded bras haha. If I am not wearing a bra, I look prepubescent. So I don't know if I should get a padded sports bra or not.

A big problem I notice with myself when it comes to jogging is that I don't jog. I don't know how to jog. I either run or walk. When j try to jog, I'm always going to fast. But if I try to slow down, my stride gets awkward. That's my biggest problem. I always end up running too fast and get tired quickly.

Also, is it okay to feel sick after jogging? After I start walking again after running for a couple of minutes, I feel like I am gonna puke. I've heard this means I'm pushing myself too hard. But other times, people say it is normal and good. For instance, my boyfriend played football in high school and the coach was just fine with them puking. He said if you needed to puke, go puke and then get right back into working out again. So I'm just confused on what my body means when I get sick to my stomach.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Seconding the sports bra and fitted running shoes. Adding moisture wicking socks! You might already have them for walking, but definitely a must have for running, especially as it gets warmer! Skip those and you'll be getting some blisters and stinky feet!

Also probably not good to feel sick after jogging. Probably means you're taking it too fast. When you first start out, your run/jog might not be much faster than walking and that's fine! Take it slow (so slow that you should be able to talk to someone or sing along to music), figure out how to make it comfortable, and go from there.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You're going too fast if you're feeling sick. It is entirely normal for it to be harder to go slower than to run faster—but running slow is the only way you learn to go for long distances and build up your aerobic endurance.

Professionally fitted shoes are the only absolutely 100 percent requirement for happy running! Everything else is so subjective.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    What if you tried jogging on the treadmill? That way you can set it at a pretty slow speed that *won't* make you sick? Once you're used to the speed, it'll be easier to stick to it outside. (Assuming you have gym access or whatnot).
  • philasaurus_rex
    philasaurus_rex Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I'm not a girl...and everything else is "TLDR" -- But you gotta have cute shoes, DUH!
  • NearlyJen
    NearlyJen Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Essentials? Nothing at all. Don't buy into a lifestyle, it's just running. Run. Not even "running shoes" are essential - they were a fad created in the 70's.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    My 2 new favorite things are my flipbelt and my Bluetooth headphones. Never leave home without them.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    NearlyJen wrote: »
    Essentials? Nothing at all. Don't buy into a lifestyle, it's just running. Run. Not even "running shoes" are essential - they were a fad created in the 70's.

I wouldn't call running shoes "a fad," but to each their own. Sure, if you're Meb, you can probably run in whatever and be fine, but for someone who is unfit, or overweight, or might have prior injuries, shoes can be the difference between miles of happy running and miserable, painful running.
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    go to a running store and get fitted for shoes once you start doing any significant running. You may not realize you need this until after you have an injury - so this would be the most important. A sports bra is nice - but you will know if you need a new one before there is an "injury". Sunscreen is important if you are doing this outside. Also - you mentioned clothing that sounded like it was cotton and had lots of seams. Once you start doing more running - and thus sweating - this will chaffe and you can end up with some nasty sores.
    - As for the puking - definitely not good. You are trying to build up aerobic capacity. Puking is a fairly good sign that you are not getting enough blood flow to your gut - therefore you are in anaerobic activity. Go slower.
  • NearlyJen
    NearlyJen Posts: 104 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »

I wouldn't call running shoes "a fad," but to each their own. Sure, if you're Meb, you can probably run in whatever and be fine, but for someone who is unfit, or overweight, or might have prior injuries, shoes can be the difference between miles of happy running and miserable, painful running.

Google the origin of running shoes. 1970's. Do you think that we ran badly for millenia prior? Many books on the subject (start with Born to Run) and my opinion after running since 1979 is to agree with the research.

Substitute "marketing gimmick" for fad, if you like.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Me feet and knees don't mind the fad because after I got a good pair of shoes made for running my pain went away. Was well worth the $$.
  • jusbowers
    jusbowers Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    Me feet and knees don't mind the fad because after I got a good pair of shoes made for running my pain went away. Was well worth the $$.

^^ this but ££

Also second all the sports bra and proper running socks suggestions

• lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm barely an A cup and never used a sports bra for exercise before I started running (C25K). It was just too uncomfortable to run for more than ten minutes or so in just a regular bra, though. I usually wear a regular bra with a sports bra or workout top with a built in bra, and it's the perfect amount of support for me.

I'll also chime in that feeling like you're going to barf means you're going too fast. I run at a rather turtle-like speed of 4.8 to 5 mph, and it's the only way I can run for long periods of time. I'm on week 7 of C25K and am running for 25 minutes straight, which for me is quite challenging even at that speed!
  • summer92008
    summer92008 Posts: 202
    Options
    What kind of socks are you guys talking about when it comes to moisture wicking? I bought wool socks to wear when I walked during the winter. They were the only thing that kept my feet warm. I typiclly just wear cotton socks, but my feet can get sweaty.

As far as cotton pants, I seem to be okay. Although I will get some irritation in the bend of my leg in the groin area. Sorry if it is just TMI, but a lot of girls know, when you shave in your bikin line, any clothing there can hurt. However, I'm lucky enough to not get chafing on my kegs. My thighs don't touch when I walk or run.

My biggest thing is my pace, like you guys said. I don't know how to jog slower. I just feel awkward when I do. And it is kind of embarrassing because I walk in a high foot/car traffic area.

Any running shows suggestions? I don't have any sporting goods stores around me except a Hibbet's and Shoe Show lol. I mainly focus on getting a shoe that supports my arch and is big enough that my feet have a little room to move because if not I get blisters quite easily.

Should I drink water while I jog? When I walk, I usually walk for 4-5 miles and only sip on water. But I just don't know what to do with the bottle while I'm jogging. Just hold it? It can get surprisingly heavy so I end up having to switch hands constantly and I feel like I look weird carrying water while trying to jog.

I apologize if any of these questions are silly. I also apologize for typos. I'm on my phone.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Oh indeed, no need for anything really it's all just about comfort and efficiency. The misery of being unable to walk due to shin splints is so much better than spending the money on shoes that help mitigate it...

Anyway, I'd rather agree with the sentiment. For someone just starting C25K there is no need to go out and get anything specific. As long as you've got some sort of sports shoe then personally I'd say just run in them until about half way through the programme, then there is value in having a good look at the options. A fitting can be useful, but it's about helpiong you understand what the options are and how they'll affect the running. The majority of evidence supports the view that specific shoes can help mitgate injury risk, a couple of studies contradict that view.

Once you've finished C25K you'll have a better idea of whether you want to continue running, and whether you want to focus on the 5K distance or whether you'll be going longer. If you're going longer, then there are lots of things that make life easier, or more comfortable.

As to the specific question, can't help with that I'm afraid.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

cool- I'm go night running in 5* weather at night with nothing at all but my dundunduns.

Actually- nekkid.

Because- I don't need anything.