Low carb cream cheese?

Options
I know this was asked on here recently, but heck if I can find the thread, so sorry for asking again, but is there low carb cream cheese out there on the market?

Replies

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Cream cheese itself is low carb. I believe the question had been "no carb" which is not how cream cheese works. ;)
  • jerryellis63012
    jerryellis63012 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Cream cheese itself is low carb. I believe the question had been "no carb" which is not how cream cheese works. ;)

Thank you for the response! That's what I meant, no carb, so now I know, thanks!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

Thank you for the response! That's what I meant, no carb, so now I know, thanks!

Best I've found is horizon organic, at 1 carb/oz
  • jerryellis63012
    jerryellis63012 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Best I've found is horizon organic, at 1 carb/oz

Cool! Thanks!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I know this was asked on here recently, but heck if I can find the thread, so sorry for asking again, but is there low carb cream cheese out there on the market?

Here is the low down. I posted some pictures about halfway down the discussion:

Cream cheese and carbs

When you find it, here are some recipes for it:

Bacon Wrapped Baked Stuffed Jalepenos
    An Alternative to Batch Cooking
    Cream Cheese, Bacon & Chicken

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
  • paublina
    paublina Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Philadelphia Baker's Reserve has <1g net carbs per oz. Finally found it at my local grocery store :)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Have you checked marscarpone cheese. I'm not sure the carb count and I know it's not the same as cream cheese but it is commonly used in making cheesecake so it might work for your application.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Stbarber1 wrote: »
    Have you checked marscarpone cheese. I'm not sure the carb count and I know it's not the same as cream cheese but it is commonly used in making cheesecake so it might work for your application.

Ya know, I am getting tired of hearing about that cheese! (LOL!) I cannot find it ANYWHERE! Where do they hide it? Do you have to go to a specialty store??? Order online? I have been to, Kroger, Meijers, Walmart, Aldi's, two different Polish groceries, GFS, and bunch of small grocery stores. I can't find it. I am just about to give up...unless you help me....! Give me a brand name, I'll go to the manufacturer. I have even asked friends of mine about it and they haven't a clue.

There is one place around here I go to, but never specifically looked, and that's Trader Joes. Do they have it?

Thank you!

• Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yes. The Trader Joe's that I have shopped at all carry their own brand of mascarpone cheese. When you look for it, don't look in the normal cheese section. Look in the dairy case where they have cream cheese.
    For normal grocery stores, I found it with the "specialty cheeses" where they have all the imports and fancy cheese balls and stuff. BelGioso is the brand I usually see in the stores:
    http://www.belgioioso.com/Products/Mascarpone

"It's that cream stuff you use to make tiramisu." This might help you find it. If you have a smart phone, show the product picture from the link above to somebody at the store.

Also, the cream cheese from Trader Joe's is pretty good. It has 1 carb per 1 oz (28g) serving. The TJs mascarpone says it has 0 carbs per tablespoon (14g).

P.S. I found something online that said Aldi's does sometimes carry mascarpone cheese.
    Fun trivia: The founders of ALDI and Trader Joe's are brothers from Germany.

-T.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

Ya know, I am getting tired of hearing about that cheese! (LOL!) I cannot find it ANYWHERE! Where do they hide it? Do you have to go to a specialty store??? Order online? I have been to, Kroger, Meijers, Walmart, Aldi's, two different Polish groceries, GFS, and bunch of small grocery stores. I can't find it. I am just about to give up...unless you help me....! Give me a brand name, I'll go to the manufacturer. I have even asked friends of mine about it and they haven't a clue.

There is one place around here I go to, but never specifically looked, and that's Trader Joes. Do they have it?

Thank you!

Belgioso is a popular name brand. They have it at Wegmans, I would think Trader Joe's would have it also. It is with the specialty cheeses normally and comes in a small plastic tub. :)
  • DittoDan
    Options

Thank you!

Belgioso is a popular name brand. They have it at Wegmans, I would think Trader Joe's would have it also. It is with the specialty cheeses normally and comes in a small plastic tub. :)

Thank you...ST! I'll look at Trader's Joes We don't have Wegmans here.

If in a plastic tub, is it a soft cheese?

I look forward to trying some.... :)

• auntstephie321
    Options
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Dan, have you ever had tiramisu? Marscapone is the creamy cheese filling in it. It's a bit softer than the whipped cream cheese in a tub.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Teneko wrote: »
    Yes. The Trader Joe's that I have shopped at all carry their own brand of mascarpone cheese. When you look for it, don't look in the normal cheese section. Look in the dairy case where they have cream cheese.
    For normal grocery stores, I found it with the "specialty cheeses" where they have all the imports and fancy cheese balls and stuff. BelGioso is the brand I usually see in the stores:
    http://www.belgioioso.com/Products/Mascarpone

"It's that cream stuff you use to make tiramisu." This might help you find it. If you have a smart phone, show the product picture from the link above to somebody at the store.

Also, the cream cheese from Trader Joe's is pretty good. It has 1 carb per 1 oz (28g) serving. The TJs mascarpone says it has 0 carbs per tablespoon (14g).

P.S. I found something online that said Aldi's does sometimes carry mascarpone cheese.
    Fun trivia: The founders of ALDI and Trader Joe's are brothers from Germany.

-T.

Yahooooo! Thank you Teneko! I'm going to get it tonight, if I don't forget. I don't shop at Trader Joe's as frequent, because its a little out-of-way, but doable. Aldi's is very close to where I go to church, so I'll stop there after church and look around. I like both TD & Aldi's because they are small, I can get in and get out very quickly. Walmart & Mejiers are good for having almost everything, but I am going to tart counting calories burned at those two stores cause they are so huge. I usually spend a minimum of 30 minutes walking around (like I did last night, more on that later).

That is really interesting that they (founders) are brothers! That is cool...

Thank you again,

I hope this helps,

Do You Like Fatty Beef? Try Corned Beef
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »
    Dan, have you ever had tiramisu? Marscapone is the creamy cheese filling in it. It's a bit softer than the whipped cream cheese in a tub.

@Twibbly, unless you give me all the facts about it, I am not going on any more "wild goose chases", like I did for Marscapone cheese.
    (LOL!)

Tell me:
    • Exact brand name
    • Type (soft/hard,etc)
    • Name of store where you purchased
    • What part of store it is located in?

23 Studies on Low-Carb and Low-Fat Diets – Time to Retire The Fad
    Blog #9 Fasting, Diabetic ~ Glucose/Sugar Levels
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options

@Twibbly, unless you give me all the facts about it, I am not going on any more "wild goose chases", like I did for Marscapone cheese.
    (LOL!)

Tell me:
    • Exact brand name
    • Type (soft/hard,etc)

Not sending you off on something new, just describing Marscapone more.

I don't remember the brand name, but it was in the little center cold case in the deli at Walmart (where you find bricks of Havarti & Laughing Cow) & in with the cream cheese by the sour cream at our local grocery store that doesn't exist in your neck of the woods.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Tiramisu is an Italian layered dessert that has ladyfingers (they look kind of like little Twinkies, but they are NOT) with layers of what seems like whipped cream (and some cheapo places probably do that) with a dusting of cocoa on top. Google image search it. You will die a little.
    The ladyfinger cookie things are soaked in espresso / coffee.
    The layers are classically made with egg, sugar, mascarpone cheese, and um...some kind of fortified wine. Marsala or Madeira usually. It's ridiculously good.
    I actually have plans to make a keto tiramisu with the "ladyfinger" layers made of the "I Breathe I'm Hungry" cream cheese pancakes soaked in coffee.

Tiramisu is a favourite decadent dessert at The Olive Garden here in the US.

-T.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

(LOL!)

Tell me:
    • Exact brand name
    • Type (soft/hard,etc)

Typically I find marscapone cheese not where the cream cheese is. In my stores, it is normally with the regular cheese, with the cottage cheese, or with the specialty cheese, NOT ANYWHERE NEAR CREAM CHEESE which would make sense. So essentially, I'd make sure to check each type of cheese section at least once, or call in the big guns @DittoDan i.e., the department manager or manager on shift!!
  • DittoDan
    Options
    My work kept me until 8:45 last night, so I missed going shopping for Marscapone and Trader Joes (they close at 9:00). Thank you @Twibbly, @Teneko, @KnitOrMiss. If I get out early tonight, I will purchase some tonight.

After I find it, I'll look up tiramisu recipes....(I never have had it before.) Hopefully they are easy to do...

Thank you all....

Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
  • DittoDan
    Options
    I just looked up keto Tiramisu recipes. 3 recipes have expresso in them. I don't like coffee, so I doubt I would like it. I don't even know what expresso is, other than its a type of coffee. :(

I'll look for other Marscapone recipes though... Can I bake with it like CC?

Thank you,

Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet