Making low carb a lifestyle - Replacing carbs?

Options
Jennym93
Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
Sorry I've posted quite a bit on here asking pretty much the same thing.
But I want to make this low carb way of eating more of a long term plan but I really don't know what to replace carbs with in main meals besides cauliflower mash or plain vegetables, I'm considering the same meals every day and it's not really maintainable or balanced.
So how do you do this long term?

Replies

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    There's a FB page called Low carbing among friends with some great recipes.
    I breathe I'm hungry on Pinterest is also really good.
    And I have a few low-carb cook books.

They have also found that the more variety on offer, the more a person eats. Those that eat a consistent diet tend to eat less.

So don't knock the same breakfast or the same lunch everyday (that I tend to do) and then change it up for the family for dinner
  • Jennym93
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    There's a FB page called Low carbing among friends with some great recipes.
    I breathe I'm hungry on Pinterest is also really good.
    And I have a few low-carb cook books.

They have also found that the more variety on offer, the more a person eats. Those that eat a consistent diet tend to eat less.

thank you :)
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I would just search online for whatever you want a low carb version of eg tonight I am making low carb Doritos to go with beef chili which I found online. You'd be amazed what people have thought up!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    But I would also say you may find after a while you don't need to find a substitute for carbs, just ladle on the fats and enjoy! ;)
  • Meeezonajourney
    Meeezonajourney Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    So true. Alfredo sauce without the pasta. Homemade with real cheese and butter. Throw in some some chicken and broccoli if you must and you don't even miss the carbs.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Gnulie wrote: »
    So true. Alfredo sauce without the pasta. Homemade with real cheese and butter. Throw in some some chicken and broccoli if you must and you don't even miss the carbs.

We use the alfredo sauce but on shiritake noodles, the non-soy ones. Whole family loves it!
  • Jennym93
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thank you :)
    I don't really miss the carbs (besides the odd potato and the really bad sugary junky carbs ;) ) as I've never been much of a pasta or bread fan but carbs were something I ate a lot because it was easy, sandwiches, crisps, chips, pizza etc. was all easy stuff to grab to eat, I'm just trying to find a way to fill out my meals while avoiding excess carbs, such as what to eat with bacon or sausages if I don't fancy eggs and still getting in some vegetables.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Jennym93 wrote: »
    Thank you :)
    I don't really miss the carbs (besides the odd potato and the really bad sugary junky carbs ;) ) as I've never been much of a pasta or bread fan but carbs were something I ate a lot because it was easy, sandwiches, crisps, chips, pizza etc. was all easy stuff to grab to eat, I'm just trying to find a way to fill out my meals while avoiding excess carbs, such as what to eat with bacon or sausages if I don't fancy eggs and still getting in some vegetables.

Slightly steamed veggies with a nice cheese sauce on them, dip raw veggies in flavored olive oil, pork rinds and flavored sunflower or pepita seeds as snacks. Sandwiches without bread, just roll the meat, cheese, mayo, lettuce, etc together and enjoy. Fried radishes. Dark greens like spinach, kale or mustard greens dripping in butter or bacon fat.

Lots of ideas out there. Best advice I've seen is if you are wanting something, say pizza, google Keto Pizza and tweak it from there.
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    As some one mentioned, just google whatever you are having a taste for low carb. Almost everything will be found. There are a lot of different low carb diets so just make sure it is actually low carb and not just lower carb. Atkins.com has a lot of recipes. Also, the facebook page "I love low carb" has a ton of recipes and people post new recipes daily.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    The sites JPW1990 posted are very good - I have used recipes from almost all of them. But I think one transition people who eat low carb need to make is moving away from the idea that you need a "meat, vegetable, starch" for each meal. Your really don't need to "replace" the carbs with anything on your plate. I think it is fine to find substitutions for things you really like, but there is not really a need to replace them just to have something on your plate. There are so many low carb recipes I want to try that I haven't had a chance to yet - there is no reason to be bored with your food if you are willing to put in some time to make new recipes. On the other hand, at some point you may find yourself pretty disinterested in food altogether (happened to me for quite a while) and you may find boring food perfectly acceptable at that point.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think the size of standard dinner plates also propagates the myth of needing all these kinds of foods in one sitting. If you feel like your plate looks 'pathetic' and empty, get a smaller plate (or a bigger steak!)
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,052 Member
    Options
    We do that in our house. When we stopped eating grains, we started using salad plates as our dinner plates.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    In Japan we use several palm sized plates/bowls. Prettier!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,052 Member
    Options
    That does sound pretty !
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Jennym93 wrote: »
    what to eat with bacon or sausages if I don't fancy eggs and still getting in some vegetables.

Mushrooms are pretty good if you fry them whole (with the stalk broken off) they don't seem to shrink as much when they're whole, so that fills a bit of plate and feels like you're having 'enough' vegetables.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
  • rkufeke
    rkufeke Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've done the alfredo with chicken & broccoli- didn't miss the noodles at all! But I've also done it with zucchini noodles and that was good too. I've used romaine lettuce leaves in place of a wrap for "sandwiches", or in place of taco shells or hamburger buns, I use the little red/orange/yellow mini peppers in place of tortilla chips for salsa, guacamole, or queso, I've done the cauliflower mac & cheese, cauliflower "rice", and tonight I'm going to try long zucchini slices in place of the corn tortillas I would usually use for a green chile chicken enchilada casserole. I've also done the zucchini slices in place of lasagna noodles. A lot of times I think you could google "grain free _____" and find a recipe that could probably work or be tweaked to be low carb; a lot of the substitutions/replacements I have done came out of the time that I was eating paleo and just happen to work well for keto too.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I think the size of standard dinner plates also propagates the myth of needing all these kinds of foods in one sitting. If you feel like your plate looks 'pathetic' and empty, get a smaller plate (or a bigger steak!)
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    We do that in our house. When we stopped eating grains, we started using salad plates as our dinner plates.
    camtosh wrote: »
    In Japan we use several palm sized plates/bowls. Prettier!

Yup, yup, and yup! I use small plates most of the time--ones I normally would have used just to put my bread on alongside a huge already-carb-laden meal. Now I use small plates, small bowls, even little souffle cups sometimes. I haven't really felt as though I'm lacking anything by cutting carbs, with the exception of having something yummy with which to scoop up guacamole. For that purpose, I make cheese crisps. :)