• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Very nice that sounds delicious
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Home made keto ice cream with lactose free heavy cream! Treat it as a treat, though ;)

Lactosefree is less carbs, so win-win!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I found a good recipe for avocado chocolate ice cream. Would be a good treat to have around and give me some fat and fiber
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Made my own fat head pizza tonight. My bf was skeptical, but he ate three big pieces so he must've liked it. I loved it can wait to experiment more when it. Definitely helped me get some more calories in.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    So I decided to just go for it on keto and have been doing pretty good so far I can really feel a change though, kinda shaky at times and nasty metallic taste in my mouth. But I took everyone's advice and have been drinking broth which really helps. And it tastes wonderful.

What is everyone's opinion on how long to stay in keto? I was thinking like a month or so. Kinda just a random time frame not really based on anything.

P.s. I'm super excited we are having hot dogs for dinner, probably my favorite food next to roast. And I get to have more than one cuz inn not wasting calories and carbs on stupid buns and baked beans :)
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of doing it for a solid month just to see if there are any noticeable effects of "ketoadaptation." Your brain is probably already adapted. It should take around 3 weeks for your muscles to adapt.

Stick with it for as long as you feel good about it. I pop in and out because I'm too lazy to maintain strict macro levels.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Stbarber1 wrote: »
    So I decided to just go for it on keto and have been doing pretty good so far I can really feel a change though, kinda shaky at times and nasty metallic taste in my mouth. But I took everyone's advice and have been drinking broth which really helps. And it tastes wonderful.

What is everyone's opinion on how long to stay in keto? I was thinking like a month or so. Kinda just a random time frame not really based on anything.

P.s. I'm super excited we are having hot dogs for dinner, probably my favorite food next to roast. And I get to have more than one cuz inn not wasting calories and carbs on stupid buns and baked beans :)

A month is barely enough time to really get keto adapted.

That said, it really depends on what your goals are. Keto is safe as a long term way of eating if you want.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I'm not sure what my long term goal is. I wasn't originally planning to go this low but I was back and forth on low carb and low low carb and I didn't feel like I was getting to my best feeling.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What is everyone's opinion on how long to stay in keto?

I'm in it for life!

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    Arg I was planning to make fathead pizza but my local grocery was it of almond meal :( so my next thought, Alfredo! I used to avoid it like the plague because of the fat. The last ingredient gluten free one only had 4g fat pretty serving, ugh!

Too bad you don't like heavy cream, because you can make great alfredo sauce in a couple of minutes flat with butter, heavy cream and parmesan cheese. If you like butter, you might like this. I never measure, but just put roughly equal parts salted butter and HWC into a small saucepan, maybe a bit mre cfream than butter, depending on how thick you like it. Heat it up. Whisk in some grated parmesan cheese. You could add a bit of garlic and salt and pepper if you like....or any other cheese for that matter. It's great on anything, and the fat content is fabulous.

This is pretty much exactly how I make my alfredo, about 1:2 ratio butter to cream.

• Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    Cool....it's good isn't it ? I love to serve it to company who don't eat low carb. These folks would normally eat alfredo sauce out of a jar, and can't believe how good real food tastes !
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Having cream in coffee or with strawberries is the great thing about this WOE.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Arg I was planning to make fathead pizza but my local grocery was it of almond meal :( so my next thought, Alfredo! I used to avoid it like the plague because of the fat. The last ingredient gluten free one only had 4g fat pretty serving, ugh!

Too bad you don't like heavy cream, because you can make great alfredo sauce in a couple of minutes flat with butter, heavy cream and parmesan cheese. If you like butter, you might like this. I never measure, but just put roughly equal parts salted butter and HWC into a small saucepan, maybe a bit mre cfream than butter, depending on how thick you like it. Heat it up. Whisk in some grated parmesan cheese. You could add a bit of garlic and salt and pepper if you like....or any other cheese for that matter. It's great on anything, and the fat content is fabulous.

This is pretty much exactly how I make my alfredo, about 1:2 ratio butter to cream.

For those who don't like heavy cream, could you use the separated coconut cream from coconut milk? Since it whips up similarly to hwc, I would think it would work, but was just wondering if anyone tried it. I would think one could use a little extra salt and garlic to hide that slightly sweet taste if the didn't like it.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

For those who don't like heavy cream, could you use the separated coconut cream from coconut milk? Since it whips up similarly to hwc, I would think it would work, but was just wondering if anyone tried it. I would think one could use a little extra salt and garlic to hide that slightly sweet taste if the didn't like it.

Thats a great idea, I haven't tried it but I will.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    ok this morning i feel borderline like i'm gonna faint, i had a cut of broth and bpc, what am i missing this feels awful
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I would say take some salt in your palm and eat it straight, follow it with some water (you can dissolve it in water, but I would prefer the burst then normal water taste...lol). Many people find, particularly at first, that they need something solid to go with the BPC. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Today I did. But I usually find that I settle out with salt, and if that isn't enough then some cheese, nuts, meat, etc. Whatever you would normally nibble on.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    ok this morning i feel borderline like i'm gonna faint, i had a cut of broth and bpc, what am i missing this feels awful

Check your blood pressure. It drops as you dump sodium. If it's low, more sodium will help as KOM mentioned above.

It could also be low blood sugar. I think some people get hypoglycemic in the early stages. That seems to happen to me. I also get mild tingling in my fingers.

• auntstephie321
    edited April 2015
    Options
    good call @wabmester i have naturally low blood pressure as it is, i wonder if it is lower i'll have to check when i get home. the blood sugar i would think would have stabalized but i dn't know, the first week i lowered carb i had issues but i've been lowering steadily for a few weeks now, though this is the longest stretch i've gone this low.

gonna go eat some salt. good think i LOVE salt.

EDIT: ok maybe I don't love salt that much, I only had that lite salt blend at work, where's the tequila when you need it. :)

Thanks for the advice
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Lol! I don't think I would be able to do that without lime too!