Could I be too low carb?

Options
auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
I'm not trying to go into ketosis but I'm wondering if someone could look at my diary and tell me if the reason I feel awful today could be that I am transitioning there? The days I work I very strictly plan all my meals or else I will just grab whatever, so my work days tend to be much lower carb than my off days where I don't plan as well. I feel like crud today though, and yesterday I felt great so I don't know what the deal is.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Definitely could be a contributing factor. Looked at the last three days before this and you've been stepping down a bit. Add sodium - broth is a good choice. Also, up your water. Add potassium and magnesium if you continue to feel crummy or get muscle cramps.

The other thing I would say is that you need to up your fats. With carbs that low, in my experience, even when eating that few of calories, your fats should be higher. I know you haven't finished your day yet, but whenever I started getting the "feel bads" from the carb flu, I sodium and fat loaded like crazy, and while you're transitioning, stop counting calories and eat until satiated, because your body is converting your whole internal fuel system and needs the extra energy...

Not TOO low carb, though. I eat 25 grams or less a day, and I know people here who eat so little as to be considered zero carb, etc. There is no such thing as TOO LOW CARB unless you don't up your fats to compensate.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Yes. Your brain needs around 120g of glucose per day. If you consume less than that, you'll eventually deplete your glycogen stores and then start generating ketones.

So, the bad news is that you have the keto flu. The good news is that you may like it after the flu passes. :)
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I feel like I should have plenty of glycogen stores lol.

Was my fat intake good the past couple of days, I thought I was doing a good job on that.

I also put light salt with potassium on my avocado and turkey, and regular salt on everything at dinner. I don't log any of my added salt, but I am a salt fiend, always have been, so I'm adding a lot.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Stbarber1 wrote: »
    I feel like I should have plenty of glycogen stores lol.

Was my fat intake good the past couple of days, I thought I was doing a good job on that.

I also put light salt with potassium on my avocado and turkey, and regular salt on everything at dinner. I don't log any of my added salt, but I am a salt fiend, always have been, so I'm adding a lot.

From what I remember, your fat was at least half under your goal every day in the last few. To give you context, I'm usually around:

25 grams carbs / 90 grams protein / 125-200 grams fat

But my carbs are lower than yours...

So make sure you aren't restricting your fats or sodium....until you get past the flu. In my experience, most of my "flu" symptoms ease off when my fat grams are higher than my carbs and protein grams added together. (You can see how even at my current levels, that is normally the case, too.)

To be sure you're getting enough sodium, I'd track a couple days just for fun. You should be aiming for 4500 mg MINIMUM... I add the lite salt on things, too, so I don't track - I just go by how I feel...
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Arg I was planning to make fathead pizza but my local grocery was it of almond meal :( so my next thought, Alfredo! I used to avoid it like the plague because of the fat. The last ingredient gluten free one only had 4g fat pretty serving, ugh! Used mung bean fettucini which is delicious, and clearly spelled wrong, lol. So now I'm still no where near on fat plus I may have measured wrong on the pasta. Do you think it's cooked weight or dry weight?
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I'm thinking BPC to get some fat but I don't want to be wired all night
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Drink heavy cream off a spoon.....something I never would have done in my carb life, but soooo enjoy now.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Drink heavy cream off a spoon.....something I never would have done in my carb life, but soooo enjoy now.

Lol I don't have heavy cream, we are almond milk people. I sometimes have issues with dairy so we made the switch. I keep looking in my fridge, I really don't want to eat plain butter
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I have yet to get to "plain butter" level. I do put butter in broth though. Do you have any bullion cubes?
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I do have bouillon. I used to eat plain butter as a kid lol, it's the sweet saltiness that gets you
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I can't seem to make myself want plain broth :(
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking BPC to get some fat but I don't want to be wired all night

Making a hot almond milk drink with ton of butter and/or coconut milk (canned kind), and real cocoa powder and sweetener of choice…wonderful night time, no caffeine, fat-carrying "hot cocoa" drink. almond milk in vanilla and chocolate flavor are a perfect hot/cold drink anytime.

or use vanilla, raspberry or other flavors in the the almond milk.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    well maybe consider today a right off and start with more fats in the morning. Such as a BPC OR add MORE butter to your BPC, more than normal. just a thought if that's all you have on hand.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    Arg I was planning to make fathead pizza but my local grocery was it of almond meal :( so my next thought, Alfredo! I used to avoid it like the plague because of the fat. The last ingredient gluten free one only had 4g fat pretty serving, ugh!

Too bad you don't like heavy cream, because you can make great alfredo sauce in a couple of minutes flat with butter, heavy cream and parmesan cheese. If you like butter, you might like this. I never measure, but just put roughly equal parts salted butter and HWC into a small saucepan, maybe a bit mre cfream than butter, depending on how thick you like it. Heat it up. Whisk in some grated parmesan cheese. You could add a bit of garlic and salt and pepper if you like....or any other cheese for that matter. It's great on anything, and the fat content is fabulous.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    Arg I was planning to make fathead pizza but my local grocery was it of almond meal :( so my next thought, Alfredo! I used to avoid it like the plague because of the fat. The last ingredient gluten free one only had 4g fat pretty serving, ugh!

Too bad you don't like heavy cream, because you can make great alfredo sauce in a couple of minutes flat with butter, heavy cream and parmesan cheese. If you like butter, you might like this. I never measure, but just put roughly equal parts salted butter and HWC into a small saucepan, maybe a bit mre cfream than butter, depending on how thick you like it. Heat it up. Whisk in some grated parmesan cheese. You could add a bit of garlic and salt and pepper if you like....or any other cheese for that matter. It's great on anything, and the fat content is fabulous.

That sounds really good. I will have to remember that for the future. Sounds so easy too. Thank you
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

I finally bought some 36% fat Whipping Cream for my coffee. Expecting to gag on it I drank some like milk. To my surprise it was just like Boiled Custard but without the increased health risk.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    It is so easy to make, it's not even really a recipe, it just works. It makes me so sad to see people eating processed foods, when it doesn't take much longer to make this than to open a jar. I put this on low carb shiritake noodles yesterday, with some leftover asparagus and ham, and it was delicious. I like to make zoodles too sometimes to go with alfredo or meat sauce, or cauliflower with alfredo is good too.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Yeah it was my last ditch effort after my fathead pizza plans were ruined. I could never do those shiritake noodles, I tried them years ago and just couldn't grow to love them. I'm cool with the mung bean pasta the net carb count is good, I'm trying to be between 50-100 g a day so it fits in well
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Having cream in coffee or with strawberries is the great thing about this WOE.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Dinner last night: I melted cream cheese then incorporated heavy cream a bit at a time. Incorporated Parmesan. a lot of stirring and I had to keep adding water in order to keep it pourable. Spiced with basil, garlic and a bit of nutmeg. Split chicken breast, put sun dried tomato marinated in olive oil inside. Closed it up, sprinkled with spice blend, wrapped with bacon, pinned with toothpicks and popped into oven.

For part of the baking time put a dish with sliced mushrooms with olive oil, garlic & pepper into the oven. When they were done, they were incorporated into the sauce. When my wife got home, I started the steamer with a 50/50 mix of broccoli & cauliflower.

As we were plating the meal she asked if the sauce was for the chicken or the veggies. I shrugged so she put it on both. I think there was an adequate amount of fat and I didn't get any complaints about no pasta with the meal. Total prep time was about 30 minutes. Baking time was about 60 minutes but half the prep was going on during that time.