Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What to drink?

parkdad73
parkdad73 Posts: 88 Member
one of the tricks I use to curb my sweet tooth is Crystal Light Fruit Punch and I would say it helped me drop 100 pounds but now that I am trying to knock out the last of my belly I'm concerned about the aspartame. Should I avoid it?
What else can I drink besides just water? I want something sweet and a slice of lemon isn't going to cut it. Crystal Light's Truvia has sugar but even those seem bland.
Any strong sweet drinks out there that won't sidetrack me?

Replies

• sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    I think that is person dependent. *kitten* derail some folks by making them crave more sweet stuff. If it doesn't bother you, keep drinking it, just account for the calories and any carbs, as they can add up.
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    I think that if you want something sweet you should just keep doing what you're doing. I dropped sweet drinks except for when I'm drinking alcohol. I did it for lent and have just kept doing it. I guess you just need to decide whether you need to drink something sweet or whether breaking up with sweet drinks is worth it. In my opinion, you've lost 100 pounds, you're clearly doing something right.
  • I drink fruit or veggie flavored water. Put water and lots of ice in a gallon container. Slice up some fruit or cucumbers and add to water. Add in some mint leaves, lemon juice or anything else that sounds good. Mix in a tablespoon of stevia in the raw if you want it sweet. Let it sit over night. :-)
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Google "spa water". There's all kinds of recipes out there. Normally some kind of fruit & maybe cucumber dropped in your water bottle. I wouldn't do the ones that have TONS of high-sugar fruits, but it does give just a bit of flavor & sweetness to the water.

There's also Hint waters, they're pretty tasty: http://smile.amazon.com/Hint-Premium-Watermelon-Essence-Bottles/dp/B001HTN1JA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428586885&sr=8-1&keywords=watermelon+hint

If you do well with stevia, these are tasty: http://smile.amazon.com/Stur-ALL-NATURAL-sugar-free-calorie-free-preservative-free/dp/B00C1LXBFC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428586929&sr=8-1&keywords=stevia+water+enhancer
  • m_puppy
    ^ question about spa water. I went to the spa last week and when I went to track my food I googled to see if there was any carbs in the spa water. Let it be known that this spa had no plain water. None. What I found was information saying you should track it as though you drank the juice from the fruit. Is this true? I was rather livid. Later in the day I was craving a lot of carbs and couldn't help but wonder if there was some truth to it.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    m_puppy wrote: »
    ^ question about spa water. I went to the spa last week and when I went to track my food I googled to see if there was any carbs in the spa water. Let it be known that this spa had no plain water. None. What I found was information saying you should track it as though you drank the juice from the fruit. Is this true? I was rather livid. Later in the day I was craving a lot of carbs and couldn't help but wonder if there was some truth to it.

I've never figured out how to properly account for it, but that's why I tend to avoid the ones that are made with the high carb fruits. I lean towards the ones with a bit of lemon & orange or cucumber & mint.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    MFP deleted my abbreviation for artificial sweetener's above.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    My current favourite drinks:
    La Croix sparkling waters. These are carbonated and are NOT sweetened with anything. It's just...carbonated water and natural flavour. The Lime makes me think I'm drinking a Sprite. The Cherry Lime makes me think I'm having a very naughty cherry limeade.

Metro Mint chocolate mint water. This is non-carbonated and just water infused with mint essences. I get the one with chocolate, but they also have ones that are just types of mints.

Kevita probiotic drinks. I get the Mojita flavour which is a lime mint sort of thing. It's sweetened with stevia and is awesome made into jello.

I also drink a lot of coffee, water, and tea.

-T.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    I mostly stick to water and coffee. I'll occasionally have a Vitamin Water Zero (in Orange / Rise) if I am concerned about my electrolytes on days I strength train.

My husband enjoys Zevia brand sodas, and we both like the zero sugar flavored seltzers. Hint water flavors are kind of hit or miss with me.

I also frequently pop some sea salt and lemon juice in my water.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,069 Member
    Water and coffee with cream and plain tea, no sweetener. I don't like the taste of sweet drinks at all. I like flavoured Perrier sparkling mineral water for a treat from time to time. My kids like the Zevia sodas.
  • m_puppy
    Go figure that I ended up wanting a soda after bragging above.
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    How about the other no sugar drinks...they do contain artificial sweeteners though. I gave up diet pop, except for once a week. I used to drink a 2 liter of diet Pepsi a day. Now I add different flavors of crush, Hawaiian punch or jolly ranchers no sugar to my water.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    I guess I am just lazy so I settled on regular water, coffee and tea without adding anything. If out and they have real lemon slices out I put some juice in the water so I do not get scurvy. :)
  • parkdad73
    . I used to drink a 2 liter of diet Pepsi a day.

I used to be the same way with Coke! It wasn't until my employees brought me 20 2-liters for Christmas that I knew I had a problem. Been off it for 3 years new. I can't even take a sip anymore it tastes awful.
  • parkdad73
    Well, I've been straight water for 3 days now and it is not so bad. I am definitely upping the amount of gum though to compensate.
  • m_puppy
    Wow good job! It isn't so bad, is it?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    LaCroix and kombucha are popular with paleo/Whole30 folks who don't do added sweeteners.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Water, water and maybe water with lemon!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Water, coffee, tea, the only thing I add sweetener to is BPC and then just 1 package Stevia. I do allow a weekly Diet Coke.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    I've never been soda drinker, I might have had a can of full loaded Pepsi here and there, and forget that diet stuff, yuck!! I drank cranberry and apple juices more than anything. Now it's all water, coffee and tea.