Why go Paleo?

Options
13»

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yes, I haven't been able to search for specific groups either and I don't understand why that function would be removed. Frustrating. I don't totally fit in the Paleo group (well, imo, my current woe is as Paleo as it gets but...) and would like to find a group where I can be a bit less guarded about my woe. But I made terrific friends here too so I'm sticking around, like it or not!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    It is so sad to see one of them posting a tentative question ("I heard that paleo might help?") and see the flock of carrion birds descend to shred that faint hope, so that they don't even try.

What's really sad about this is that MFP no longer has a group search button. The carrion birds are so repugnant, people asking about paleo might actually be inspired to get away from them on the main forums and search out a Way of Eating that attracts a more helpful and civil personality type. But they probably won't find this group because Vanilla Forums did away with the group search feature when the site changed over.

Carrion birds is such a great phrase. So apropos!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    It is so sad to see one of them posting a tentative question ("I heard that paleo might help?") and see the flock of carrion birds descend to shred that faint hope, so that they don't even try.

What's really sad about this is that MFP no longer has a group search button. The carrion birds are so repugnant, people asking about paleo might actually be inspired to get away from them on the main forums and search out a Way of Eating that attracts a more helpful and civil personality type. But they probably won't find this group because Vanilla Forums did away with the group search feature when the site changed over.

Carrion birds is such a great phrase. So apropos!

Homesweets gets full credit for that one in a previous exchange. I don't actually know what it means but I'll go Google it now. Sounds interesting.

Carrion birds = vultures, some species of crows, etc. that are known for flocking around corpses, often in large numbers.

apropros = very appropriate (for those unfamiliar with the term)
  • jrosto
    jrosto Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I like the term "Flock of Seagulls" for the trolls that attack anything Paleo/Primal/Natural in the forums.

They fly about in groups, make lots of unintelligible noise, and defecate over everything.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yes, I haven't been able to search for specific groups either and I don't understand why that function would be removed. Frustrating. I don't totally fit in the Paleo group (well, imo, my current woe is as Paleo as it gets but...) and would like to find a group where I can be a bit less guarded about my woe. But I made terrific friends here too so I'm sticking around, like it or not!

I like it that you're here and you don't have to guard your WOE from me.

I put it out there that I'm a higher carb paleo mainly for lurkers and newer people looking at this group. I figured someone new to this group might see a discussion about fat bombs or putting blobs of butter in coffee (as part of a low carb paleo plan) and get scared and run for the door.

Akima, you helped me a lot when I first started posting at this group when you told me I should not worry about carbs or calorie intake at the beginning, and simply eat my fill of wholesome simple paleo food so as to heal my body.

You were right to advise that approach and I'll forever be grateful to you for it. :heart:

Wow, thank you. You made my day. I know I'm pretty "anti-carbs" these days but I've needed some drastic measures. Three years and still experimenting to find my best WOE which won't necessarily be what's best for everyone else in the world, though I sometimes come across that way when I'm excited by how well things are working for me lately. lol
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options

Glad you're sticking around. You've been so helpful to me, personally, since I began this journey. And your own experience has been fascinating to watch. It just confirms to me that there is no "one size fits all" approach, and we have to listen to our bodies and figure out what's best for us. Sometimes what someone else has done/is doing will work, and sometimes it won't work (for us) even though it's working for them.

Again, as I said, fascinating.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options

I put it out there that I'm a higher carb paleo mainly for lurkers and newer people looking at this group. I figured someone new to this group might see a discussion about fat bombs or putting blobs of butter in coffee (as part of a low carb paleo plan) and get scared and run for the door.

Akima, you helped me a lot when I first started posting at this group when you told me I should not worry about carbs or calorie intake at the beginning, and simply eat my fill of wholesome simple paleo food so as to heal my body.

You were right to advise that approach and I'll forever be grateful to you for it. :heart:

LOL, blobs of butter in coffee! Now that I'm off butter for the time being, I miss that... (And to think when I started, I was mourning the leaving behind of raw cream... but my body reacted better to butter at the time.)

But, yeah, it was horrible to contemplate, and yet butter and coconut oil blended into coffee with a milk frother was weirdly latte-like.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options

LOL, blobs of butter in coffee! Now that I'm off butter for the time being, I miss that... (And to think when I started, I was mourning the leaving behind of raw cream... but my body reacted better to butter at the time.)

But, yeah, it was horrible to contemplate, and yet butter and coconut oil blended into coffee with a milk frother was weirdly latte-like.

My new favorite thing is I take my coconut milk (I use aroy-d brand sold in the green tetra pack) about like 1/2 cup for a 16 ounce glass of coffee, and 4 tiny scoops of stevia, the organic brand from trader joes. It's a little sweet and atleast with my coconut milk is almost as rich as using cream :) plus I don't get a sick stomach!