• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    @parkdad73 great post thank you
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    What brought you to living healthier?

Being sick of waking up fat and miserable every day, not being able to wear nice clothes, fearing summer and the beach because of having to show skin.

How did you find LC?

I tried it once before, a year ago, and lost a fair amount of weight. But I had a miserable summer with my fiancé 5,000 miles away for 4 months and get depressed and ate carbs. Which made me put the weight back on and made me more miserable. So I knew it worked, I just needed to get back on the wagon.

How did you keep on at your first plateau?

I only weigh once every 1-2 months so I haven't been aware of any plateaus - yet.

How do you keep on during difficulties?

Additional exercise to buy more calories to eat more. Looking at my progress and my new clothes. Planning ahead and prelogging.

How do you manage your stressors?

At work I plan lunches although it can be hard when we are on the road. I try to find non food based rewards and incentives like having my nails done.

What tips and tricks are uniquely yours?

Don't buy it or have it in the house if it torments you.

• dalansteiner
    dalansteiner Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have not learned much, other than 10 days of low-er carbs and high-er protein have dropped 6+ lbs off me. I am still averaging about 120 carb grams daily (my goal is 100), but some of that is fiber. I am upping my protein dose but it is really hard to choke down that much protein (170 grams/ day). REALLY hard. Last night was miserable (low carb protein shake that tasted like slightly flavored chalk). Worth it this morning when I hit the scale though...

I am also doing at least 200 cal worth of cardio every day. Many days over 300. I am now over 20 lbs lost and have about 35 to go. My pants are falling off, my 6 pack is starting to show again, and my wife is looking at me in a very lustful way.

I thought I had plateaued, but lowering carbs has helped greatly. It really sounds stupid to say plateaued when I have only been dieting 50 days, but there was about a 5 day pause. I do wonder what will happen when I get close to my target weight and keep working out.

What motivates me is looking good for my wife and being there for her as we get older.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Loved your post @dalansteiner! I feel the same way about protein shakes. For some reason, I can't get with smoothies either. If I drink my calories, whatever they're made from, my body/brain doesn't register it as food.

Love your motivations, too. Being there for the one(s) you love is the most important thing, in the end.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    ONE mistake, cheat, binge, celebration...whatever... isn't a big deal.
    Using that one mistake to justify/continue more cheating is the real mistake.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Wow, I was the first one to respond, as Sugarbeat (got locked out and forgot my email/password so I just started anew). This is much needed today as a reminder! When I look back on my progress from that time I WAS losing, just slowly. This helps because, low and behold, I'm doing it again. But this was a good reminder of why I was doing it. I got off track because even though I THOUGHT I had a hectic schedule life proved I hadn't seen nothing yet. Slowly but surely the weight came back and brought friends :smile: . This proves that I was losing before, in addition to feeling better, and I can do so again. I'm also creating a list for the fridge of low carb convenience food because life is about to turn upside down again and then some. I need grab and go, so that is something I've learned.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    What brought you to living healthier? I've been working out regularly and watching my food/weight for 20 years now...I didn't come here so much as I chose in my early 20's that I wanted to be healthy and active for my whole life.

How did you find LC? Atkins and the whole hype around that...plus I love(d) meat and dairy...that was before I discovered that most meats and dairy trigger migraines, so had to transition to vegetarian around 5 years ago - that was kinda challenging, but interesting

How did you keep on at your first plateau? I don't even remember my first plateau...I'm sure I had one, but it's been so long ago. If I feel stuck for more than 6 months, then it's time to change something, change the workouts, change the macros, change the favorite foods - something must give.

How do you keep on during difficulties? Long term motivation is a challenge. How do you just keep going day in and day out for YEARS, then eventually DECADES...I try to look at the other side of things when my motivation gets low...what will happen if I quit...considering how lazy I am and how much I like food, the answer is never something I really want to get stuck with as a life, so I keep going.

How do you manage your stressors? violent workouts

What tips and tricks are uniquely yours? change things frequently...I never do more than 90 days of any one workout regimen because after that I get bored

Who motivates you? My great-grandmother was still bowling weekly and living an active life at 94 years old - someday, that's going to be me!

What motivates you? I like to do stuff and enjoy life.

There is nothing I can say that is going to change your life journey, that is something only you can do. Only you can find what sort of eating works for you. Only you can find what sort of exercise works for you. I can promise if you don't stay active your mobility will decrease as you age, however, what you choose as an activity is entirely your own. Find something fun, life is too short to fail to enjoy it as it passes!
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    1. Don't ignore advice to eat more salt.
    2. Don't ignore warnings that you've become a dirt cheap drunk without knowing it.
    3. Don't take servers' words for anything without testing to see if they think dumplings are LC.
    4. Don't buy any meat product without reading the label, unless you're on a sugar refeed.
    5. Don't imagine you can guess how incredibly little heavy cream it takes to fill 1 tbsp, unless you're actually measuring.
    6. For God's sake, don't ever eat more than one Haribo Sugar-Free Gummi Bear without reading the reviews on Amazon.

Oh... @RalfLott ... you always make me laugh.....
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    2. Don't ignore warnings that you've become a dirt cheap drunk without knowing it.
    3. Don't take servers' words for anything without testing to see if they think dumplings are LC.
    4. Don't buy any meat product without reading the label, unless you're on a sugar refeed.
    5. Don't imagine you can guess how incredibly little heavy cream it takes to fill 1 tbsp, unless you're actually measuring.
    6. For God's sake, don't ever eat more than one Haribo Sugar-Free Gummi Bear without reading the reviews on Amazon.

Uh... I'm sorry.... did you think I was kidding? (Not about those nasty little Sorbitol-stuffed gummi bears! :s)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    swezeytba wrote: »

Uh... I'm sorry.... did you think I was kidding? (Not about those nasty little Sorbitol-stuffed gummi bears! :s)

The only laughing I was doing was that I am still planning on sneaking some of those into the food supply of an unsuspecting someone as a joke.....yes, I am horribly mean sometimes with my pranks. >:)

Edit: the someone is a vegan sugar addict who thinks stuff like this is healthy because it is fat free, so don't feel to bad on their behalf.

Haha, great idea!

Darn, though, just missed April Fool's Day....
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    What brought you to living healthier?:
    The acceptance of the fact that humans are not meant to be weak, fat, sad sacks of adipose tissue. We are THE apex predator, responsible for more mass extinctions than any other conscious beast.

How did you find LC?:
    Lyle McDonald's The Ketogenic Diet, and Jamie Lewis' Chaos and Pain blog.

How did you keep on at your first plateau?:
    I never really noticed one, because I only weighed myself once every couple of months. I was in such a massive deficit for active dieting phases, that loss was assured.

How do you keep on during difficulties?:
    Push harder.

How do you manage your stressors?:
    Lifting heavy things, hill sprints, and a general "meh, whatever" attitude covers the mental stressors. Stretching, LISS, reading in silence while sitting in my butt, and hot baths cover physical and mental.

What tips and tricks are uniquely yours?:
    None. All I am doing is aping the hell out of what the strongest who have come before me did.

Who motivates you?:
    Motivation is useless.

What motivates you?:
    Motivation is useless.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome thread, thanks whoever bumped it up.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    This is an awesome thread, thanks whoever bumped it up.

I think you can give credit to @AlexandraCarlyle for the recent rejuvenation of this thread for a new generation of (sarcastic) LCers to have at it.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

I hope as people read through these, and I would encourage everyone to do this, they think about their journey as a lifelong journey. This isn't about losing xx pounds or about some other singular goal. This is about being the best you that you can be.

Of course it's a lifelong journey, and time is our ally. However, some of you youngsters have the luxury of more time than some...

I'm reminded of a beautiful line someone posted in another group:

"Eating well is a form of self-respect."

(Thx, @ConleighS !)
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I know for me, when I originally wrote my response (again, as Sugarbeat) I was basing it on a parent of middle schoolers. Once we transitioned to high school things got super hectic and add in a NP at my doctor's office who was seriously negative and I started slipping. I still did LC but wasn't as diligent. This year things will be busy, but I'm preparing now knowing this will be the case. I'm not trying to make excuses, it was my own fault for not being prepared but you can't overcome obstacles if you don't acknowledge what they are. And I, for one, understand completely that this is a lifetime thing. I knew it while I was slipping but I ignored it. Its also important to remember that we're human and we slip but we can pick back up and keep moving.