Keto for PCOS

Options
I went back a whole bunch of pages and couldn't find a single topic about PCOS in this group so thought I'd start one in case anyone else is in the same boat... I have had PCOS (poly-cystic ovarian syndrome) since I was 15 years old and I'm turning 39 next month. I've struggled with losing weight my whole life. The only time I've ever lost a significant amount of weight was when I did the Protein Power Plan back in 1999 (anyone else ever tried that one?) and lost 25 lbs in a month, it was very similar to keto. Not sure why exactly, but that was the last time I ever did a serious low carb diet and it's been an real exercise in frustration (no pun intended, ha!) ever since trying to lose weight every other way, WW, Slimfast, HCG (never did the low carb phase), calorie counting, rigorous workout plans, blood type diet, low fat diets, LA Weight Loss, candida diet, cleanses, organic whole foods...

Here's the most recent example... I did 10 weeks of MFP's default macros at the "Lose 1 lb/week" settings, exercising almost every single day, drinking my water, eating primarily organic whole foods, and only lost 1.9 lbs over 10 weeks. Then in one week of PMS'ing I regained it all back. Talk about discouraging!!

A week ago today I decided to give keto a serious try. I deleted all my logs from the previous weeks to give myself a fresh start and purge my frequent/recent foods. My daily macros last week averaged out to 1986 calories, 114 g fat, 60 g net carbs, 117 g protein. This morning I almost fell over when I weighed and saw I had lost an amazing 3.4 lbs in my first week!!! I have NEVER seen a loss like that in one week, even when starting a new program. I'm sold!

In the spirit of full disclosure, I also started metformin to treat PCOS related insulin resistance about 5 weeks ago. Last Friday my doctor upped my dosage from 500 mg/day to 500 mg 2x/day. I'm guessing that likely is helping, along with taking inositol supplements (Vit B8) which is supposed to help with hormonal imbalances...

(Oh, and yes, I'm already a member of a MFP PCOS group... )

Replies

• IslandSneezerooo
    IslandSneezerooo Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    So apparently I'm not eating keto after all... I was under the impression that LCHF was keto... Either way, it's working for me so far... LOL
  • irishguns
    irishguns Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't have PCOS but I do have insulin resistance and some unbalanced hormones which causes a lot of PCOS like problems. I've also found a keto diet to be pretty much the only way I can lose weight. I can devote myself to 100% on work outs and a healthy diet but if I'm eating too many carbs it's like none of it matters (I have years of "I lost 5 pounds in 2 months then gained it all back after I ate a sandwich" stories).
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS with insulin resistance, and keto is the plan that is giving me the best results I've ever had - both weight wise and lab work. I'm planning on making it permanent, and just raising calories once I hit a weight I'm comfortable.
  • DisappearingTwinkie
    DisappearingTwinkie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, I am turning 36 on Friday. I have always be big, but active, and never felt unhealthy until after fertility treatments. So for the last year I was just blah. I got tired of it and needed to try something. Everything else was not working. I am on day 14 of Keto and am down 7lbs. I lost over 3lbs the first week and that was while I was on steroids. I am pretty stable and starting to work out next week.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    A week ago today I decided to give keto a serious try. I deleted all my logs from the previous weeks to give myself a fresh start and purge my frequent/recent foods. My daily macros last week averaged out to 1986 calories, 114 g fat, 60 g net carbs, 117 g protein. This morning I almost fell over when I weighed and saw I had lost an amazing 3.4 lbs in my first week!!! I have NEVER seen a loss like that in one week, even when starting a new program. I'm sold!

<snip>
    (Oh, and yes, I'm already a member of a MFP PCOS group... )

To be sure, you're starting off good. But it is doubtful you will get into Ketosis at 60 grams a day. I would recommend you stay the course, and as you get the swing of lo-carbing, jump down to 20-25 grams a day. Then you will start to get into ketosis. But that is not where you end. You have to stay under 20-25 @ day for one to six weeks until you are "Keto adapted". Your body will change the way it handles your fat. You will have to eat more salt and possibly supplement your electrolytes (Magnesium, Potassium & Sodium). Failure to do so, will result in a condition called, "Keto Flu". I'm not going to explain it here, google it. If you follow the prescription, you won't get Keto flu. Or at worst, it will be mild.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites
    Are You Having Charlie horse/leg cramps?
    Need Potassium?
  • stevieedge2015
    stevieedge2015 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    irishguns wrote: »
    (I have years of "I lost 5 pounds in 2 months then gained it all back after I ate a sandwich" stories).

This! I always had a whacked cycle, and all my weight is on my stomach so with a lot of googling I found keto and I've lost 11lbs in two months...which never happens! I think if you are apple shaped it's a good indicator that it will work for you?

• globegirl08
    globegirl08 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Also PCOS so nice that we are here to support each other. No longer strictly Keto but LCHF <50 carbs until I manage to get the hang of my metformin doses. (I had dizziness last few weeks previous on below 30 carbs).
  • DisappearingTwinkie
    DisappearingTwinkie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Luckily I do not need to be on metformin while doing keto. I was on it for so many years and I am seeing better results off and doing keto. I am sorry it made you dizzy!