2015 MFP Grand Tour Challenge - SIgnup and Discussion Thread...

Options

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Jakess1971 wrote: »
    ...here is my wheel of fun:

wmtj0nec2fjc.png

saddest bit about that is the obvious missing line bit from Nottingham to the Welsh Border... curse those fat thumbs and lack of "are you sure" on the Garmin 810...

• Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Welp, that was fun. Looking back, I probably should've dropped out before the start and let one of the alternates take my place, but what's done is done. Thanks again to Mark for organizing and doing a bang-up job as always! And that's it for me this year for Grand Tours...not doing the Vuelta so someone gets my spot.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Welp, that was fun. Looking back, I probably should've dropped out before the start and let one of the alternates take my place, but what's done is done. Thanks again to Mark for organizing and doing a bang-up job as always! And that's it for me this year for Grand Tours...not doing the Vuelta so someone gets my spot.

No worries Tom, you're always welcome on any team I'm riding with - and there were plenty of days where your ride was the difference between making the distance and failing - I reckon you did well with a damaged shoulder mate :+1:

• TheBigYin
    Options
    And with Tom's entries in the bank, that's Pastana fully declared for the challenge - 5275.9km (156.8% of the actual distance) and 53,908m of ascent (95.35% of the actual)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Second Team now Fully Declared - Twinkie Scoff are now in the clubhouse with a distance of 6888.1km (204.6% of challenge distance) and an ascent of 63,351m (112.05% of actual)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Third Team now Fully Declared - TeamPIE are also now in the clubhouse with an amazing distance of 8539.4km (253.7% of the actual distance) and an ascent of 63,794m (112.83% of actual)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Some of you may have noticed that I've added one or two "logging" entries to the thread myself - I've basically added, for transparency, a log that reflects what i've "Strava Harvested" for a number of the members of the challenge - there's a couple of riders remaining un-logged at the moment, primarily because their Strava stream is "inconclusive" - i.e. the loggings just stop at the last time they logged a ride into the thread, and there are no other entries on the monday to show that the intervening days were a definite DNR. A couple of riders have contacted me via PM to log a DNR, and i've changed the model to reflect these.

And, sadly, it seems that one member has gone AWOL and stopped bothering logging after the 17th of the month without letting me know that they'd be away (as, for example a couple of members riding RAGBRAI did) - so, as I've picked a couple of the rides up via Strava, and included them in the overall figures, I didn't think it fair to penalise the rest of their team-members by deleting the data - so, I've booked them in, and booked the rest of the gaps as a DNR. If they choose to add any further rides before the cut-off at 11:00 am today (in just under a hour from this post) then I'll add them of course - but, well - lets just say that any further applications to join challenges going forward are unlikely to be given a high priority.

• Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »

saddest bit about that is the obvious missing line bit from Nottingham to the Welsh Border... curse those fat thumbs and lack of "are you sure" on the Garmin 810...

It grated me for the remainder of the campaign and the missing line will be a constant reminder, it'll bug me until I ride it again.
  • TheBigYin
    edited July 2015
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »

It grated me for the remainder of the campaign and the missing line will be a constant reminder, it'll bug me until I ride it again.

I'll bet... I would be exactly the same.

• m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Curious how I sign up for the MFP Vuelta challenge? Don't wanna miss it.
  • lbchilds2001
    lbchilds2001 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your hard work in organizing and tracking another fun and exciting event. Can't wait for the Vuelta Challenge starting in a couple of weeks!!!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    Curious how I sign up for the MFP Vuelta challenge? Don't wanna miss it.

keep checking this thread... there'll be an announcement in the fullness of time - i've still got all the route to map (for the elevations) and the spreadsheet to prepare ready to go before I even THINK about setting up any team rosta's etc.

It'll get there, just have patience ;) I haven't failed yet.

• Jakess1971
    Options
    I see that the Vuelta is running 22nd Aug to 13th Sept this year, off to Italy on the 6th September for the remaining of the tour, so basically looks like I'll miss stage 15 onwards.

Happy to contribute to a team for the first couple of weeks though, hopefully you wont stick me on my own! :) Team IAM Nutella anyone?

Couple of other team name suggestions:

Geraint Lampole Merida << Subtle
    Stinkoff-Curry

• anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,461 Member
    Options
    How about MooVeeStar
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Think we'll keep with the same four teams for 2015, but I am liking some of the new team ideas... Not sure how I'd come up with logos for some of them but... I've all winter to sort that I guess.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I see that the Vuelta is running 22nd Aug to 13th Sept this year, off to Italy on the 6th September for the remaining of the tour, so basically looks like I'll miss stage 15 onwards.

Happy to contribute to a team for the first couple of weeks though, hopefully you wont stick me on my own! :) Team IAM Nutella anyone?

Couple of other team name suggestions:

Geraint Lampole Merida << Subtle
    Stinkoff-Curry

I love that team name! Can I be on that one? :laugh:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    well folks - there's just over 2 weeks remaining before the Vuelta Starts - I've spent a couple of hours this morning sorting out the Logging Spreadsheet - but there's a small problem - even the Vuelta's own website doesn't have the route maps available... without them, we're knackered as far as having an ascent target daily to shoot for. So, I've done "everything but" the ascents - and if the route comes available, I'll TRY and get the mapping sorted in advance of starting, or at least keep in front of where we're riding at...
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    If there's anything I can do to assist I'm happy to help.
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »

Your mission ntunk should you accept it is to sneak into the Giro planning headquarters and make a copy of the route plans so Mark can add the elevation details to the spreadsheet.

As always, should you or any of your IM force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. Good luck! This tape will self-destruct in five seconds.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »

Your mission ntunk should you accept it is to sneak into the Giro planning headquarters and make a copy of the route plans so Mark can add the elevation details to the spreadsheet.

As always, should you or any of your IM force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. Good luck! This tape will self-destruct in five seconds.

Time to knock the dust off my trusty ninja outfit...