2015 MFP Grand Tour Challenge - SIgnup and Discussion Thread...

Options

Replies

• hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    steffenson wrote: »
    A warning to team Pie-this will be a very light week for me as I gear up for RAGBRAI starting on 7/19. My logging will be sporadic that week as I don't take my computer along but I am back home on Wednesday night so depending on my energy will try and get caught up-if not everything will be posted on Saturday/Sunday when the ride wraps up. If all goes well, I should have about 700-800 km to add.

Hey Hawkeyegal I'm also doing RAGBRAI.... My first! Going with Brancel charter. How about you?
    Unfortunately I have about 2k miles of driving round trip so will not be able to log any miles for nearly 10 days!

I club with a local group but rope my family into acting as my sag team. I don't camp so they are sweet enough to haul me to the closest hotels (which some years are not very close). This will be my 4th full and my 8th overall.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    smeakim1 wrote: »
    A couple of questions.... If I ride today and log miles does it count? Second one if I dont ride a day thats not a rest day do I get a zero for speed bringing down my average speed?

Nope, doesn't count

and

Nope, average speed is calculated on total time and total distance you've ridden, so blank rides have no effect.

• Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I was going to go for a quick spin yesterday around dinner time, except this was going on:
    19475743160_df76f9f248_z.jpgStormy! by Tom L, on Flickr
    It was pretty intense with lots of rain, wind and several very close strikes (flash..boom) so I stayed in, discretion and valor, you know.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Sorry Team Pie. I'm usually good for some decent distance, but this TdF is not looking so hot for me. Weather has been atrocious here, Tim's been called into work more evenings than not and I'm running around like a chicken with its head cut off most days. i'm lucky to get 30km's in these days. That being said, if we are ever running short or need another rider for a TTT, send me a message on MFP (I get notifications for the messages, but not from the posts) and I'll try my best to pick up some of the slack. I feel better when I ride, but sometimes I need a little push to give myself priority.

Nikki
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I was going to go for a quick spin yesterday around dinner time, except this was going on:
    19475743160_df76f9f248_z.jpgStormy! by Tom L, on Flickr
    It was pretty intense with lots of rain, wind and several very close strikes (flash..boom) so I stayed in, discretion and valor, you know.

Eminently sensible, and, well, we had it covered anyway :+1:

• steffenson
    steffenson Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    A warning to team Pie-this will be a very light week for me as I gear up for RAGBRAI starting on 7/19. My logging will be sporadic that week as I don't take my computer along but I am back home on Wednesday night so depending on my energy will try and get caught up-if not everything will be posted on Saturday/Sunday when the ride wraps up. If all goes well, I should have about 700-800 km to add.

Hey Hawkeyegal I'm also doing RAGBRAI.... My first! Going with Brancel charter. How about you?
    Unfortunately I have about 2k miles of driving round trip so will not be able to log any miles for nearly 10 days!

I've dropped a note in the spreadsheet that you're both on the Route... Can I ask, as it's an organised trip, is there any "upload" facility for Garmin data, or are we going to have to resort to waiting for you both to get back from the ride ? (I know at some multi-day events the organisers put on "strava trucks" where you can basically "dump" your Garmin at the end of each day...)

Oh - and if anyone else is doing this event (or any other multi-day, away from home trip) can I ask if they can also let me know so I can make provisions - and, I'll be honest - when a "regular" doesn't log for a few days, I actually start to worry that something's gone wrong... I know it's daft, but I do actually feel slightly responsible for you all :)

As this will be my first RAGBRAI I don't know if there are upload facilities or not. I was thinking of running strava on my phone but I have heard cell reception is quite bad/spotty during the ride so I think it will have to be my Garmin for tracking.
  • hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options

I've dropped a note in the spreadsheet that you're both on the Route... Can I ask, as it's an organised trip, is there any "upload" facility for Garmin data, or are we going to have to resort to waiting for you both to get back from the ride ? (I know at some multi-day events the organisers put on "strava trucks" where you can basically "dump" your Garmin at the end of each day...)

Oh - and if anyone else is doing this event (or any other multi-day, away from home trip) can I ask if they can also let me know so I can make provisions - and, I'll be honest - when a "regular" doesn't log for a few days, I actually start to worry that something's gone wrong... I know it's daft, but I do actually feel slightly responsible for you all :)

As this will be my first RAGBRAI I don't know if there are upload facilities or not. I was thinking of running strava on my phone but I have heard cell reception is quite bad/spotty during the ride so I think it will have to be my Garmin for tracking.

I am not aware of any uploading facilities but I am not usually in the overnight town. I will see if I spot anything at the expo on Saturday and can ask. The cell service has been improving in the last few years. They now bring in temporary towers and such to try and improve things in the overnight towns but it can still be spotty when you have over 20000 people coming in to some of these little towns. Hope you are ready for pure chaos at times!
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Feeling adventurous so booked a couple of nights hotel at the base of Snowdonia for a three day bit of touring, quite fancied a full tour of Wales but work n time off is a factor, so heads up that I won't be able to update the logging thread Thursday to Saturday due to no access to a PC, should be able to upload the rides though for those that want to Strava stalk :).
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    smeakim1 wrote: »
    Can someone go tighten the rear brake on Jason's bike. We'll move to the front if that doesn't work. Oh and to David I would have gouged my eyes out with a dull spoon before riding the same 10-11KM for 15 hours. I would have fell over from boredom as well.

Sabotage!!! lol

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ghRL9thv7kU
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,240 Member
    Options
    Forgot my bike computer on my bike. I'll have to log today's and yesterday's ride after my ride today. Ooops. :smile:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Forgot my bike computer on my bike. I'll have to log today's and yesterday's ride after my ride today. Ooops. :smile:

no rush, just happy to hear you've got some distance to book... we need every metre at the moment :(

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Sorry Pastana teammates. Time got away from me yesterday and I ended up stuck on the trainer last night. I got some mileage in but none that will help the team. :frowning:

I should be on the bike and outside the rest of the week though.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I got good news today, and I got bad news. I lost my contract job, due to a paperwork sanfu on 7/1/2015. I started a temporary one month contract on 7/13/2015 to keep cash flow coming in for the food, bills, etc. Today, I got a call and they pushed through the 6 year renewal paperwork and I now start immediately working remotely on my old contract. I'm used to work 60 to 70 hours per week, which explains my limited riding. However, now, they are expecting me to work 80 hours per week (40 per client), until 8/15/2015.

What this means for my team (Pastana) is that my rides will be limited to 1 to 2 hours per day during the week, and 2 to 3 hours per day during the weekends. Since I am a slow rider still, due to my remainig 130 pounds to lose, this doesn't result in a lot of KM's for the team. I would bow out at this point, but no subs are allowed at this point, so I will continue to press on.

I'm glad that I've gotten the increased work load, as it helps with long term cash flow, but I'm disappointed that I won't be able to log as many kilometers.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    TDSeest wrote: »
    What this means for my team (Pastana) is that my rides will be limited to 1 to 2 hours per day during the week, and 2 to 3 hours per day during the weekends. Since I am a slow rider still, due to my remainig 130 pounds to lose, this doesn't result in a lot of KM's for the team. I would bow out at this point, but no subs are allowed at this point, so I will continue to press on.

Congrats on the new contract, and no way should you bow out. 1 to 2 per day and 2 to 3 per weekend is all I ever really manage and only work 40 hours per week!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Just an aside folks...

Todays Stage crosses the Col de Portet d'Aspet, where Fabio Casartelli had his tragic fatal Accident 20 years ago.

VV # 114

Stay safe out there folks, we've had enough accidents in the run-up to this challenge, don't want to hear of any more.

• sufferlandrian
    Options

I'm glad that I've gotten the increased work load, as it helps with long term cash flow, but I'm disappointed that I won't be able to log as many kilometers.

Hey! A job is a job. Glad you got the contract paperwork through. What ever you can log is just fine. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Just an aside folks...

Todays Stage crosses the Col de Portet d'Aspet, where Fabio Casartelli had his tragic fatal Accident 20 years ago.

VV # 114

Stay safe out there folks, we've had enough accidents in the run-up to this challenge, don't want to hear of any more.

A moment of silence before a ride. ........ Then kick it! :smile:
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Weather kept me from riding last night, and it probably will tonight as well. Just a heads up. If there is no lightening tonight, I'll still go...
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Weather kept me from riding last night, and it probably will tonight as well. Just a heads up. If there is no lightening tonight, I'll still go...

Stay safe Tom, one of the good bits about the mountain stages, is they're normally a bit shorter distance... If you can't ride safely, don't sweat it, that's why we have 9 people in a team...
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I got good news today, and I got bad news. I lost my contract job, due to a paperwork sanfu on 7/1/2015. I started a temporary one month contract on 7/13/2015 to keep cash flow coming in for the food, bills, etc. Today, I got a call and they pushed through the 6 year renewal paperwork and I now start immediately working remotely on my old contract. I'm used to work 60 to 70 hours per week, which explains my limited riding. However, now, they are expecting me to work 80 hours per week (40 per client), until 8/15/2015.

Congrats on landing the contract. I don't know how people work 80 hours a week, so my hat off to you. I'm wiped out working 60 hours a week. Luckily, this summer has been a bit slower and that's allowed me to workout more and feel like a real person.