2015 MFP Grand Tour Challenge - SIgnup and Discussion Thread...

Options

Replies

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited I'm almost bouncing in my chair! Had a (long-overdue) bike fit done this morning, everything is tweaked and cleaned, and I'm doing a 50km charity ride tomorrow.

Allez, allez, ALLEZ!!!!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    And we're away... as per usual our Friend at the far side of the world Brett has logged the first ride - Chapeau!
  • anviljenkins
    anviljenkins Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    8am here in the USA, waiting til 9am today for a little deeper more lust filled kiss from the Sun :-).
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    smeakim1 wrote: »
    OK since I'm new do I just log my stuff to Strava and then someone will add to the spreadsheet as when I try to add my miles it wont let me edit the sheet?

have a look at the logging sheet, see what everyone else has done... The spreadsheet is read-only by design, it's a little bit complex and there's serious potential for wrecking it if you don't know EXACTLY where to post things. that's why there's only me and 2 others (who I've given a bit of training on it) that get to enter stuff...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10201681/2015-mfp-tour-de-france-challenge-ride-logging-thread#latest

• TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    TdF Challenge Entries for Rider 307 Team Pastana

Stage Date Distance Time Ascent(m) Ride Log URL
    h:mm:ss
    ====================================================================================
    1 ITT 04/07 _41.1km _2:22:07 __11m https://www.strava.com/activities/339142312
    2 05/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    3 06/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    4 07/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    5 08/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    6 09/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    7 10/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    8 11/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    9 TTT 12/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    R 13/07
    10 14/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    11 15/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    12 16/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    13 17/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    14 18/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    15 19/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    16 20/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    R 21/07
    17 22/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    18 23/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    19 24/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    20 25/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    21 26/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________

Running Total __41.1km
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    TDSeest wrote: »
    TdF Challenge Entries for Rider 307 Team Pastana

Stage Date Distance Time Ascent(m) Ride Log URL
    h:mm:ss
    ====================================================================================
    1 ITT 04/07 _41.1km _2:22:07 __11m https://www.strava.com/activities/339142312
    2 05/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    3 06/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    4 07/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    5 08/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    6 09/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    7 10/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    8 11/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    9 TTT 12/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    R 13/07
    10 14/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    11 15/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    12 16/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    13 17/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    14 18/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    15 19/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    16 20/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    R 21/07
    17 22/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    18 23/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    19 24/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    20 25/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________
    21 26/07 ___._km __:__:__ ____m ___________________________________

Running Total __41.1km

nice one Tom... I noticed you'd posted it in the logging thread as well, so I'll not "quote it over" for you..

• TheBigYin
    Options
    Okay Folks - once again - I've noticed a few discrepancies on posts that look to be "rounding errors" in conversion from Miles to Km's. PLEASE, FOR THE DURATION OF THIS CHALLENGE, SET STRAVA TO METRIC, ITS MUCH EASIER FOR ME AND ANY ASSISTANTS I HAVE.

I'm actually contemplating a "Enter in Miles and Feet" option for forthcoming tours. I'll Add an extra column in the individual rider cards for miles and feet... HOWEVER, there will be an "idiot tax" for using this option - Distance conversions will be done at 1.5km to the mile (not the actual 1 mile =1,609.344 metres) and Ascent at 3.5 feet to the metre (not the accurate 1 metre = 3.2808399 feet) this ensuring if you wish to declare in miles and feet, you definitely under-declare your perfomance.

or of course, you COULD just work within the rules of the challenge like everyone else...

(Regulars at this point will already have gone "oh god, he's off on one again" - as we have this every tour at the start, until people actually start and "play nice". It's easier for me to rant a little at the start, and get everyone working within the rules straight away, than it is to have to check every post by every person for every day of the tour. Think of it this way... 4 teams of 9 people = 36 posts a day for 21 days = 756 posts. Now if every post takes 1 minute to check and enter to the spreadsheet, that's 12.6 hours of data entry over the challenge. 12.6 hours that I could be outside riding instead. Fair enough - I called the challenge, I accept that kind of time as being part of my "putting something back into the community". BUT... Every time I have to amend the distances to the correct one, and post a notice that i've had to alter them (to try and save it happening again!) it takes nearer 5 minutes instead of 1 minute. So, if 1 person consistently does this all the way through the challenge, that's an extra 4x21 minutes - 1h24m of my time wasted because someone can't understand metric measurements.

this is not an Anti-American rant BTW, before anyone gets offended... The UK still has "Imperial" measures - well, we would do, wouldn't we, it was OUR empire that inflicted it on everyone around the world. But the UK has a funny relationship to measuring systems, we just seem to convert things easily on the fly...

So, our speed limits and road signs are in miles, but our accurate mapping (the ordnance survey topographical maps) are all in metric. So, we drive in miles and hill walk in metres.

We treat temperatures even wierder. If it's cold, we generally measure temperatures in °C - because -1°C "sounds colder" than 30.2°F. But when it gets warm (say above 20°C or so) we seem to switch to °F - because again 97°F sounds warmer than 36.1°C

but I digress..

JUST - PLEASE - WORK IN METRIC FOR THE NEXT 3 WEEKS FOLKS.

• TheBigYin
    Options
    oh and I'm sorry - forgot to wish the folks over the pond a happy 4th of july, so I'll just post this late, with my heartfelt apologies for bad timekeeping...

twmpxtghx0mr.jpg

• anviljenkins
    anviljenkins Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    Okay Folks - once again - I've noticed a few discrepancies on posts that look to be "rounding errors" in conversion from Miles to Km's. PLEASE, FOR THE DURATION OF THIS CHALLENGE, SET STRAVA TO METRIC, ITS MUCH EASIER FOR ME AND ANY ASSISTANTS I HAVE.

I'm actually contemplating a "Enter in Miles and Feet" option for forthcoming tours. I'll Add an extra column in the individual rider cards for miles and feet... HOWEVER, there will be an "idiot tax" for using this option - Distance conversions will be done at 1.5km to the mile (not the actual 1 mile =1,609.344 metres) and Ascent at 3.5 feet to the metre (not the accurate 1 metre = 3.2808399 feet) this ensuring if you wish to declare in miles and feet, you definitely under-declare your perfomance.

or of course, you COULD just work within the rules of the challenge like everyone else...

(Regulars at this point will already have gone "oh god, he's off on one again" - as we have this every tour at the start, until people actually start and "play nice". It's easier for me to rant a little at the start, and get everyone working within the rules straight away, than it is to have to check every post by every person for every day of the tour. Think of it this way... 4 teams of 9 people = 36 posts a day for 21 days = 756 posts. Now if every post takes 1 minute to check and enter to the spreadsheet, that's 12.6 hours of data entry over the challenge. 12.6 hours that I could be outside riding instead. Fair enough - I called the challenge, I accept that kind of time as being part of my "putting something back into the community". BUT... Every time I have to amend the distances to the correct one, and post a notice that i've had to alter them (to try and save it happening again!) it takes nearer 5 minutes instead of 1 minute. So, if 1 person consistently does this all the way through the challenge, that's an extra 4x21 minutes - 1h24m of my time wasted because someone can't understand metric measurements.

this is not an Anti-American rant BTW, before anyone gets offended... The UK still has "Imperial" measures - well, we would do, wouldn't we, it was OUR empire that inflicted it on everyone around the world. But the UK has a funny relationship to measuring systems, we just seem to convert things easily on the fly...

So, our speed limits and road signs are in miles, but our accurate mapping (the ordnance survey topographical maps) are all in metric. So, we drive in miles and hill walk in metres.

We treat temperatures even wierder. If it's cold, we generally measure temperatures in °C - because -1°C "sounds colder" than 30.2°F. But when it gets warm (say above 20°C or so) we seem to switch to °F - because again 97°F sounds warmer than 36.1°C

but I digress..

JUST - PLEASE - WORK IN METRIC FOR THE NEXT 3 WEEKS FOLKS.

It is just a mouse click or two to set it to metric, then another click or two to set it back to home numbers :-). Being a machinist I have had to work where the whole production line was metric, and I was an inch guy, it all works out :-). One inspector was always "holy *kitten* this hole is .005 oversize".....and I had to say "John, that is .005MM not inches, let the thing cool down for ten minutes and check it again"...and he would get a sheepish look on his face and chill a little :-).
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    ... Being a machinist I have had to work where the whole production line was metric, and I was an inch guy, it all works out :-). One inspector was always "holy *kitten* this hole is .005 oversize".....and I had to say "John, that is .005MM not inches, let the thing cool down for ten minutes and check it again"...and he would get a sheepish look on his face and chill a little :-).

(Like)

• veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Cracking start to the TdF, well done all. I am of course totally envious and with you all in spirit. Allez et bon courage!!
  • steffenson
    steffenson Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Sorry team LJ but I caught a stomach bug/food poisoning and have been either laying in bed or in the bathroom the last 24 hours. I swear I would otherwise be racking up the miles (or km) for us!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    steffenson wrote: »
    Sorry team LJ but I caught a stomach bug/food poisoning and have been either laying in bed or in the bathroom the last 24 hours. I swear I would otherwise be racking up the miles (or km) for us!

Take the time you need to get yourself fit and healthy... it's a bloody silly challenge run by someone at the other side of the pond, who you'll never see in person... In the greater scheme of things, your health is far more important. Take care and Get well.

• webtracer
    webtracer Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    oh and I'm sorry - forgot to wish the folks over the pond a happy 4th of july, so I'll just post this late, with my heartfelt apologies for bad timekeeping...

twmpxtghx0mr.jpg

Omfg

That's hilarious. I love it!!!!!
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Question - How are the Points Jersey column numbers calculated?
  • webtracer
    Options
    So .... Question ...

If I ride twice in the same day ... do I just add those totals together and log them? Links to both in the tracking sheet?

This happens occasionally as I do a ride at lunch which is short on time (because I only have an hour) and then I'll ride after I get everything settled down and dinner done at home ...
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    webtracer wrote: »
    So .... Question ...

If I ride twice in the same day ... do I just add those totals together and log them? Links to both in the tracking sheet?

This happens occasionally as I do a ride at lunch which is short on time (because I only have an hour) and then I'll ride after I get everything settled down and dinner done at home ...
    I'll field this one for TBY since he's a busy man. Yes, just add them together in the log sheet then provide individual URLs to both (or all three, or whatever) rides on Strava.

Hope this helps!
  • webtracer
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »
    So .... Question ...

I'll field this one for TBY since he's a busy man. Yes, just add them together in the log sheet then provide individual URLs to both (or all three, or whatever) rides on Strava.

Hope this helps!

Totally does! Thanks!!!!
  • steffenson
    steffenson Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    trimom10 wrote: »
    Question - How are the Points Jersey column numbers calculated?

They are calculated based on your overall place in the distance, speed and climbing categories. There are 36 racers so a 1st in any once place will net you 36 points while a 2nd would be 35 points and so on down. Thus a first in all 3 categories would give a max of 108 points.

At lest that is how I understand it.

Based on the last tour this means you can be no higher then 3rd or 4th place in any of the 3 categories but still winning the points jersey.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »
    So .... Question ...

Hope this helps!

Perfect explaination, thanks for that :)