2015 MFP Grand Tour Challenge - SIgnup and Discussion Thread...

Options

Replies

• canbbot
    canbbot Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would like to be an alternative if a slot opens. Was just signing on when you posted that you had filled the last slot. I will definitely for the Vuelta. Great job here on organizing these.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Hey all, at the 11th hour I'd like to join in on the fun. I'm slow and I don't put in a ton of miles but at least I do it consistently. I'll be a gruppetto of one. You can verify all this on Strava, if you're bored: www.strava.com/athletes/2667788

Thanks, Big Yin and Cowbellsandcoffee for inviting me in.

Brad

Cheers Brad, and Welcome Aboard...

You're now a member of Team Lotta Jumbo's...

head over to https://www.strava.com/clubs/MFP-LottaJumbos on Strava and hit the Orange "Request To Join" button...

Meanwhile, I'll sort out a Dossard for you... Call back in 10 minutes and we should be sorted.

• TheBigYin
    Options
    19356003115_e782bf3bb0_o.jpgDossard_333 by The Big Yin, on Flickr
  • stewartlayzell
    stewartlayzell Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would love to join in if its not to late ?
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    canbbot wrote: »
    I would like to be an alternative if a slot opens. Was just signing on when you posted that you had filled the last slot. I will definitely for the Vuelta. Great job here on organizing these.

First Alternate - though that's pretty much down to someone pulling out injured at this time...

I would love to join in if its not to late ?

And Second Alternate spot for you Stewart - same deal I'm afraid - failing that, there's always the Vuelta later in the season.

• TheBigYin
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    TBY - I remember that some time ago you had a chart/cheatsheet that gave the MFP name linked to the strava account name. Unfortunately I cannot remember where that is. If you could send me the link I will make sure and invite members of TwinkieScoff to the strava group.

David, there's a new one, embedded in this challenge's spreadsheet, under the "rosta" tab...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-25uHM98B6nbxmJrIn0OSTbXYICff__L9s0zbBDR0Is/edit?usp=sharing

it's bang up to date with all the new members, transfers, and other meddling that i've been doing between the Giro and the TdF...

Thank you

No worries Mate :)

• gardnerkennedy
    gardnerkennedy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mark, looking forward to it.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,463 Member
    Options
    I may have missed a post, but is there a ride reporting log available yet? Sorry Mark, had to ask (ducks head)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I may have missed a post, but is there a ride reporting log available yet? Sorry Mark, had to ask (ducks head)

On my "stuff to do today" list :)

• TheBigYin
    Options
    RIde reporting thread now created...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10201681/2015-mfp-tour-de-france-challenge-ride-logging-thread?new=1

In there, you'll find, highlighted in yellow, the "template" for entering your rides.

To the newcomers, my suggestion is this... Select the whole of the yellow block and copy it to your clipboard. Then Paste that into a plain text file. Edit this file to add your rider number, and to delete the 3 incorrect team names.

Then simply fill in the spaces day by day as you ride. Keep this file as your "master" file, and to report the rides, simply open the "logging thread" and in the "Reply box" copy/paste the entire text file, then hit "post reply". If you're feeling REALLY helpful, wrap the "code" format around the entry pasted, and it should even come out as a proper table... (select all the table, click on the "paragraph format" pulldown at the top of the reply box, and select "Code" as a style)

IF YOU'RE NOT 100% SURE HOW IT WORKS, WAIT A FEW DAYS AND SEE THE OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS AS AN EXAMPLE - AND IF YOU'RE STILL NOT SURE, PM ME AND I'LL TALK YOU THROUGH IT. Oh and the one biggie... EVERYTHING IS IN METRIC - Distances in Km, Ascent in Metres. Switch your Strava to metric settings for the duration folks please (or at least switch it over while collating your post), as neither I nor my Assistants have the time or inclination to check your manual conversions (which ARE invariably different at some point due to rounding errors). And as to why it's all metric. Simple:

1. It's A Continental Race, that's measured in Km's
    2. Rule #24
    3. I say so. It's my Challenge, don't like it, go start your own!

• TheBigYin
    Options
    and while we're at it - another link for your bookmarks list... We log all the rides and so forth, and display the standings, analyse the ride data and all the rest of it in a rather spiffy google spreadsheet...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-25uHM98B6nbxmJrIn0OSTbXYICff__L9s0zbBDR0Is/edit?usp=sharing

go have a quick look - it's rather clever. Indeed, even the regulars may find something new of interest - this time we have a tab in there that gives a link to maps of each of the stages created (by me) in Map My Ride - I needed some way to get total ascent figures for the stages, and couldn't find them published anywhere, so...

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,240 Member
    Options
    The spreadsheet is a thing of beauty! Brings tears to my eyes. :-) It can only mean Le Tour is about to start. :smile:
  • anviljenkins
    anviljenkins Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    RIde reporting thread now created...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10201681/2015-mfp-tour-de-france-challenge-ride-logging-thread?new=1

In there, you'll find, highlighted in yellow, the "template" for entering your rides.

To the newcomers, my suggestion is this... Select the whole of the yellow block and copy it to your clipboard. Then Paste that into a plain text file. Edit this file to add your rider number, and to delete the 3 incorrect team names.

Then simply fill in the spaces day by day as you ride. Keep this file as your "master" file, and to report the rides, simply open the "logging thread" and in the "Reply box" copy/paste the entire text file, then hit "post reply". If you're feeling REALLY helpful, wrap the "code" format around the entry pasted, and it should even come out as a proper table... (select all the table, click on the "paragraph format" pulldown at the top of the reply box, and select "Code" as a style)

IF YOU'RE NOT 100% SURE HOW IT WORKS, WAIT A FEW DAYS AND SEE THE OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS AS AN EXAMPLE - AND IF YOU'RE STILL NOT SURE, PM ME AND I'LL TALK YOU THROUGH IT. Oh and the one biggie... EVERYTHING IS IN METRIC - Distances in Km, Ascent in Metres. Switch your Strava to metric settings for the duration folks please (or at least switch it over while collating your post), as neither I nor my Assistants have the time or inclination to check your manual conversions (which ARE invariably different at some point due to rounding errors). And as to why it's all metric. Simple:

1. It's A Continental Race, that's measured in Km's
    2. Rule #24
    3. I say so. It's my Challenge, don't like it, go start your own!

Hey bud, just two questions :-).

One, on these links like this for some reason I cannot hit "open in new tab" on them ?? If I do not want to lose this tab I have to duplicate it, then open the link.

Two: what is the actual START time for logging the first day ?? Hate to blast out some mega cross continent ride and finish it up right when the challenge OPENS :-).
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

One, on these links like this for some reason I cannot hit "open in new tab" on them ?? If I do not want to lose this tab I have to duplicate it, then open the link.

Two: what is the actual START time for logging the first day ?? Hate to blast out some mega cross continent ride and finish it up right when the challenge OPENS :-).

If I may...

I don't know what browser you are using, but I can 'right click' & open in a new tab on Chrome...

The Challenge start on Saturday 4th Jul, so as long as you ride on or after 00:01 on Sat 4th July (in your time zone) and it is recorded and verified on Strava, then it counts ;)

• anviljenkins
    anviljenkins Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »

If I may...

I don't know what browser you are using, but I can 'right click' & open in a new tab on Chrome...

The Challenge start on Saturday 4th Jul, so as long as you ride on or after 00:01 on Sat 4th July (in your time zone) and it is recorded and verified on Strava, then it counts ;)

Yea usually I can do just as you say (I am in Chrome)...this browser being on a *nix type OS has been open like 3 weeks, so maybe it just needs refreshed :-).

• TheBigYin
    Options

Strange, right click and open in new tab works on Firefox, Chrome, Chromium, and IE9... of course, I've not checked it on every combination of operating system as well - just Windows Vista, 7,8, 8.1 and a couple of flavours of Linux...

As Clive says, 00:01am on the 4th July 2015 YOUR LOCAL TIME ZONE is when it opens.

• TheBigYin
    Options
    The spreadsheet is a thing of beauty! Brings tears to my eyes. :-) It can only mean Le Tour is about to start. :smile:

It is getting to be something of a beast isn't it...

One More sleep and it's all happening. Anyone else Excited Yet ??

• CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options

It is getting to be something of a beast isn't it...

One More sleep and it's all happening. Anyone else Excited Yet ??

Planning on an early ride tomorrow. Can't go as long as we would like since Rosie has to work half a shift but will get a few miles in and then catch the stage in the evening after the fireworks.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I'm working an 86 hour shift this weekend so I'll have to squeak rides in over midnight breaks. I think that means I may be one of the first to post. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Only 11 hours and 56 minutes until the fun begins! :laugh: