2015 MFP Grand Tour Challenge - SIgnup and Discussion Thread...

Options

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    trimom10 wrote: »
    I'm on Jakess1971's friend list and would like to join. I literally just joined Strava yesterday, but Jakess1971 can attest to my bicycling ability. Let me know what else you need from me.

done...

#304, on Pastana - Dossard to follow asap

All I need is your Strava "Athlete URL" - open the "my profile" page on Strava and copy the URL of that page and paste it in here.

Cheers and welcome aboard.

• TheBigYin
    edited June 2015
    Options
    butters1 wrote: »
    I'll join LeTour again if there are still open spots. :)

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5381703

done...

#314 on Team Pie.

(I've got your details from back in the Vuelta 2014)

19263613606_1d2aabb68d.jpgDossard_314 by The Big Yin, on Flickr

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    jillyian wrote: »
    Yay! Can't wait to start.
    Hopefully I don't have to use my iPhone to post my rides- as it stands I upload directly to Strava from my Garmin, and as of June 31 I will not be able to do that anymore and my computer is not cooperating in letting me upload from Garmin Connect to Strava. I just can't figure it out. I can download the ride to Garmin Connect, but I can't get it to Strava from there-

Have you linked your Garmin Connect account to Strava?
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,241 Member
    Options
    Mark you were right. Post the Dossards and they will come. :smile:
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    butters1 wrote: »
    I'll join LeTour again if there are still open spots. :)

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5381703

done...

#314 on Team Pie.

Woot woot we have a full team, welcome aboard!
  • webtracer
    webtracer Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm game if there's room on a team somewhere (I didn't know y'all were here, I just found a couple of new friends who are cyclists!)

https://www.strava.com/athletes/62921
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    webtracer wrote: »
    I'm game if there's room on a team somewhere (I didn't know y'all were here, I just found a couple of new friends who are cyclists!)

https://www.strava.com/athletes/62921

#323 on team Twinkie Scoffers :-) Dossard to follow real soon...

Okay folks - one place left, who's going to be the lucky one ??

• TheBigYin
    Options
    smeakim1 wrote: »
    OK so now I have a team and they are all set. I didn't see the mileage or climbing set as for the Giro. Maybe I am missing it in the 13 pages of thread. For us newbies is there a cliffs notes version of what I have to do besides ride :-).

No, there's no quick-guide as yet - until I've finalised the teams, I can't finish the spreasheet which has all the distances, ascents, dates and everything in there... However, seeing as there's only really one space left, I suppose I could get it to the "everything done bar the last name" and get the info up by sometime tomorrow...

But, basically, it comes down to "Try and ride as far as you can, on the days that the guys on the TdF Ride, Log every ride on strava, and make a single entry in a 'entries thread' for each day using a 'template' which will be provided."

Note to self:

Finish Spreadsheet
    Write Entries Thread Blurb and post it (locked until Saturday)
    Create 'template'
    find someone that wants to take over the "franchise" for next year on this challenge...
    ;)

• TheBigYin
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Dossards time...

19289779685_5951405a7c.jpgDossard_304 by The Big Yin, on Flickr

19109710418_242d61cf9a.jpgDossard_323 by The Big Yin, on Flickr

there you go, right click, save as, then use as your profile picture for the duration of the challenge. Simples.
  • webtracer
    webtracer Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Dossards time...

19109710418_242d61cf9a.jpgDossard_323 by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Sweet!!! Thanks!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Okay - quick "info" post - for the Distances/Ascents and Dates of LeTour...

6neg1jbdiu5a.jpg

There's only really one "wierd" rule that I insist on, and that is that "in order for your team to have been deemed to complete any stage that is a TTT (team time trial - in the case of this years TdF, that's stage 9) not only do you have to ride a cumulative distance between all 9 riders of the stages distance - but ALSO you must have at least 5 riders that actually log a ride on that day." - so, in the case of this years TTT it's 28.0km. If 1 rider books a 28.1km ride, then out of the other 8 riders, at least 4 other riders MUST at least book something - even if it's 100m. And, to ensure that those rides are "kosher" any rides MUST have at least some part of the ride that is outside of the riders "privacy radius" if set - i.e. the "trace" of the ride must be visible to all members partaking in the challenge.

Other than that, simply ride and log, and even if you don't ride for a few days, log "DNR" for that day as soon as possible. Anyone going "out of town" or "in the backwoods with no internet/mobile coverage" please let me know beforehand and I'll make a note in the spreadsheet.

Note:

1) Ascents are taken from my mapping of the route, within MapMyRide. In the actual spreadsheet is a page which provides links to the routes as transcribed by me last month from the official TdF routes - mainly because not all of the "official" routes actually mentioned the total cumulative ascent, so the only way was to map the damned things. The routes are actually downloadable, so if you were fancying actually re-creating part of the tour, you could grab the file and follow the route... may come in handy next time you're in that area in the Campervan Clive... ;)

2) They were mapped quite a while ago, and unfortunately there has been a landslide that has blocked the entrance to one of the tunnels meaning a route change on stage 20 which has removed the Galibier and resulted in a second ascent of the Croix de fer... however, it's not a massively lower amount of climbing, so I'm not actually going to re-map the whole days ride in this case.

3) Distances are taken from the "route book" - mapped distances may differ, depending on the duration of the "neutralised" section of the race at the start...

• trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm on Jakess1971's friend list and would like to join. I literally just joined Strava yesterday, but Jakess1971 can attest to my bicycling ability. Let me know what else you need from me.

done...
    All I need is your Strava "Athlete URL" - open the "my profile" page on Strava and copy the URL of that page and paste it in here.

Great! Here's my Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/9974833
  • TheBigYin
    Options

done...

Great! Here's my Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/9974833

Excellent - brace yourself for a bunch of follow requests from the rest of the participants in the challenge by the way... ;)

and in case you're wondering how to put "MFP Names" to the Strava Handles...

if you look on my all-singing, all-dancing, fur-lined, ocean going, copper-bottomed magnificent spreadsheet, there's a tag called "rosta" where everyones name and strava handle is cross-referenced.

• phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I hate to do this to you Mark, but I will be leaving for a last minute work assignment this Thursday July 2nd, and I won't be able to participate in the TDF challenge. I am sad about this since I was looking forward to another great challenge and I do like my colorful dossard and team pie:( I hope that you have someone on the wait list that wants to join the challenge and that can take my place.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    phytogurl wrote: »
    I hate to do this to you Mark, but I will be leaving for a last minute work assignment this Thursday July 2nd, and I won't be able to participate in the TDF challenge. I am sad about this since I was looking forward to another great challenge and I do like my colorful dossard and team pie:( I hope that you have someone on the wait list that wants to join the challenge and that can take my place.

No worries, better to find out with a few days to go, than finding out half a week into the challenge...

I've been contacted on my profile by a prior participant who's keen to help out, so I'm going to drop him into your place, and there's also a "friend of a friend" who's hopefully being contacted by the time everyone reads this...

• TheBigYin
    Options
    so - here we go then, team substitution time...

#316 will now be ridden by @JediCounsil after real life has interfered with @phytogurl 's attempt...

19312664452_9c40e043a4_o.jpgDossard_316a by The Big Yin, on Flickr

and I've contacted @gardnerkennedy who's expressed interest in joining, hopefully they'll be along asap with the requisite details...

• anviljenkins
    anviljenkins Posts: 562 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Okay - quick "info" post - for the Distances/Ascents and Dates of LeTour...

6neg1jbdiu5a.jpg

There's only really one "wierd" rule that I insist on, and that is that "in order for your team to have been deemed to complete any stage that is a TTT (team time trial - in the case of this years TdF, that's stage 9) not only do you have to ride a cumulative distance between all 9 riders of the stages distance - but ALSO you must have at least 5 riders that actually log a ride on that day." - so, in the case of this years TTT it's 28.0km. If 1 rider books a 28.1km ride, then out of the other 8 riders, at least 4 other riders MUST at least book something - even if it's 100m. And, to ensure that those rides are "kosher" any rides MUST have at least some part of the ride that is outside of the riders "privacy radius" if set - i.e. the "trace" of the ride must be visible to all members partaking in the challenge.

Other than that, simply ride and log, and even if you don't ride for a few days, log "DNR" for that day as soon as possible. Anyone going "out of town" or "in the backwoods with no internet/mobile coverage" please let me know beforehand and I'll make a note in the spreadsheet.

Note:

1) Ascents are taken from my mapping of the route, within MapMyRide. In the actual spreadsheet is a page which provides links to the routes as transcribed by me last month from the official TdF routes - mainly because not all of the "official" routes actually mentioned the total cumulative ascent, so the only way was to map the damned things. The routes are actually downloadable, so if you were fancying actually re-creating part of the tour, you could grab the file and follow the route... may come in handy next time you're in that area in the Campervan Clive... ;)

2) They were mapped quite a while ago, and unfortunately there has been a landslide that has blocked the entrance to one of the tunnels meaning a route change on stage 20 which has removed the Galibier and resulted in a second ascent of the Croix de fer... however, it's not a massively lower amount of climbing, so I'm not actually going to re-map the whole days ride in this case.

3) Distances are taken from the "route book" - mapped distances may differ, depending on the duration of the "neutralised" section of the race at the start...

Getting 5/9 of riders out for an average of 20k each might be interesting :-)....weather depending too.

• phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options

No worries, better to find out with a few days to go, than finding out half a week into the challenge...

I've been contacted on my profile by a prior participant who's keen to help out, so I'm going to drop him into your place, and there's also a "friend of a friend" who's hopefully being contacted by the time everyone reads this...

Happy to hear that jedicouncil will be taking my place, and that I was able to give you a heads up before we started the challenge. I'll be rooting folks on from the sidelines this go around...
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

Happy to hear that jedicouncil will be taking my place, and that I was able to give you a heads up before we started the challenge. I'll be rooting folks on from the sidelines this go around...

Sorry to hear your not taking part and a big thanks for getting the news in quick!
  • jillyian
    jillyian Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    My Edge 510 seems to upload fine using my iphone ?

How do you upload your Garmin with your iPhone?
    I have a Garmin edge 510 too