2015 MFP Grand Tour Challenge - SIgnup and Discussion Thread...

Options

Replies

• Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm still pedaling, just not 6 days a week. What do we have to do to log the miles? The last time it was some sort of Excel spreadsheet thingee that took a really long time for me to enter the data. I can't fathom the time it takes for TBY to compile the data. My ADD kicks in too soon.

I think I had 321 at one point - https://www.strava.com/athletes/2030178
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,461 Member
    Options
    Well after suffering a very serious cycling accident earlier this month, and am still healing.....the verdict is.......I'M IN! I think the challenge of riding 21 stages will truly help rebuild my cycling confidence and help the body and mind heal. http://www.strava.com/athletes/5695589
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    I'm SO in :)

9 places left
    Well after suffering a very serious cycling accident earlier this month, and am still healing.....the verdict is.......I'M IN! I think the challenge of riding 21 stages will truly help rebuild my cycling confidence and help the body and mind heal. http://www.strava.com/athletes/5695589

8 places left, just take it nice and steady, and if it's a problem, don't be a hero...

• TheBigYin
    Options
    I'm SO in :)

9 places left

8 places left, just take it nice and steady, and if it's a problem, don't be a hero...

• TheBigYin
    Options
    Dahamac wrote: »
    I'm still pedaling, just not 6 days a week. What do we have to do to log the miles? The last time it was some sort of Excel spreadsheet thingee that took a really long time for me to enter the data. I can't fathom the time it takes for TBY to compile the data. My ADD kicks in too soon.

I think I had 321 at one point - https://www.strava.com/athletes/2030178

I've sorted out a "template" for the submissions - simply copy it into a post, replace the underscores with your ride details in Km's and metres and leave the rest to me - but, please, please, please set your strava to metric for the duration rather than trying to convert the distances/ascents to metric from whatever archaic measure you normally use because data entry is a piece of pi$$, but correcting every post you make for rounding errors is a fcuking nightmare.

If you're happy with that, I'm happy to drop you into one of the teams, and I'll call it provisionally 7 slots left.

• BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Did you get me Mark?
  • dmeyers1969
    dmeyers1969 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If it is not too late, I would like to participate.
    Not sure what my Strava ID # is but my id is Dave Meyers and e-mail is dmeyers05@yahoo.com
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    BigG59 wrote: »
    Did you get me Mark?

Absolutely Graham... wouldn't be the same without you mate...

Not sure what my Strava ID # is but my id is Dave Meyers and e-mail is dmeyers05@yahoo.com

It's not too late, but not knowing your ID# could be a problem - I did an athlete search for your name, and found a pageful...

4xbjgrt6iosv.jpg

easy way is for you to click on the "your profile" pulldown in strava...

then when the profile page opens, copy the URL into here.... it'll look something like this

https://www.strava.com/athletes/165533 (that's mine BTW...)

• verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    This is a side bar comment - but what would we all do with out these smart phones and the aps and all the stuff that goes on with them? I love the convenience and I sure get to see more of my girls off Snapchat then before that app. My dad, who hates it all and has even quit emails, I feel so bad because he doesn't see our lives that much since he's not hooked up to all the modern world. But then I look at something like BYT latest post and I have to chuckle at how computer/geek techno a person has to be to just deal with this life we are all living. My son can't even fathom a life without the tech stuff. I am forcing him to go phoneless to camp. Gasp!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    verdemujer wrote: »
    This is a side bar comment - but what would we all do with out these smart phones and the aps and all the stuff that goes on with them? I love the convenience and I sure get to see more of my girls off Snapchat then before that app. My dad, who hates it all and has even quit emails, I feel so bad because he doesn't see our lives that much since he's not hooked up to all the modern world. But then I look at something like BYT latest post and I have to chuckle at how computer/geek techno a person has to be to just deal with this life we are all living. My son can't even fathom a life without the tech stuff. I am forcing him to go phoneless to camp. Gasp!

well - without access to a certain website, i'd still be pushing 400lb, probably higher than that by now, wouldn't have had the motivation to ride nearly 38,000km in the nearly 4 years since I joined here, and, quite probably the health issues that have knocked me out of commision for a few months over the winter would very likely have killed me. So... "Yay Technology."
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,461 Member
    Options

On the Strava website, go to your profile, and then look in the URL bar, you will see strave/athlete/and then a number. Copy and paste that.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    come on folks - 8 places (2 provisionally allocated, subject to confirming details & acceptance of logging terms) - at the moment we're almost an entire team short... I know there's 2 weeks to the start, but remember I need a little bit of time to sort out team allocations and prepare team dossards etc (amongst getting ahead on my "real life" work and clearing a bit of a space so I can not only spend the couple of hours or more a day that administering this whole travelling show takes, but actually get out and ride a little myself...

So, come on, get signed up now - before I say screw it and fold the whole thing...

• veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Mark, I'm gutted but I'm afraid I will have to withdraw from the TDF Challenge. I crashed today and broke my clavicle will be off the bike for at least 4 to 8 weeks
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    veloman21 wrote: »
    Mark, I'm gutted but I'm afraid I will have to withdraw from the TDF Challenge. I crashed today and broke my clavicle will be off the bike for at least 4 to 8 weeks

read that in my newsfeed mate - gutted for you - don't worry about the daft challenges mate, just get a good bone-quack, get it sorted and take his advice... broken clavicles are (sadly) just something that comes with the territory for cyclists I'm afraid - (twice on the left, once on the right over here, even with 4 years of judo and learning how to fall as a kid ;) ) - look after yourself mate.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    They say my new bike will be ready next week. Let me open a Strava account and I'll come play. You know I'm a sucker for a challenge...
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the reset... New Strava ID. If any of my old pals want to look me up I'd love it, just had a few local creepers so I shut down the old one.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/9848902
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Sorry for the reset... New Strava ID. If any of my old pals want to look me up I'd love it, just had a few local creepers so I shut down the old one.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/9848902

Welcome Back - wouldn't be the same without you.

So - we're still on 8 vacant places then I guess...

• jillyian
    jillyian Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew other folks on MFP to invite, sadly the only friends I have on MFP are those from the giro challenge :smiley:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    jillyian wrote: »
    I wish I knew other folks on MFP to invite, sadly the only friends I have on MFP are those from the giro challenge :smiley:

I've just dropped a shameless advert in the "bicycling - road and mountain" group as well - I know most of us here are already members on there, but they're a bit bigger group, and may just have a few people who could join us...

I'd LIKE to get the teams largely finalised by the end of this week (27th) if possible - give me a chance to do the Dossards etc.

• Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'll figure out the logging (I'll get by with a little help from my friends) - count me in for the TdF.