2015 MFP Grand Tour Challenge - SIgnup and Discussion Thread...

Options

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Dahamac wrote: »
    I'll figure out the logging (I'll get by with a little help from my friends) - count me in for the TdF.

just sit back for the first couple or three days, see how everyone else does it, and try not to do what the people I shout at do... :lol:

I try and make it as easy as filling in a form and copy/pasting it into a reply box to be honest, it's far from rocket science.

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,217 Member
    Options
    We could run three teams instead of four. Just a thought.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    We could run three teams instead of four. Just a thought.

depressingly, it's looking more like that might have to be an option. I genuinely thought that we'd have a bit more momentum after how successful the Giro seemed to be, and considering that LeTour was (at least theoretically) more likely to be set in fine dry weather...

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,217 Member
    Options
    Well you know how we are. We are more like classics riders. If it's not wet, cold and miserable, we don't want to ride. :laugh:
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    If I'm still odd man out, I can log miles on an individual basis. I'll be a mercenary (I mean alternate). If someone drops out or a team has a mutiny and kicks someone off, stats will go to the highest bidder.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    There's a week and a half left yet, it may not come to it.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Well @rides4sanity, just what would take the highest bid to win those stats, hmm? Chocolate? Massages? A month of being the kid's extra chauffer for those days you overbook yourself? Hmmmm?
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    I know Mark hates it when I name my bikes, but...

Meet Pippa. My pretty girl. Pink cages will be black and I may ditch the phone holder much...

2nbvrc9.jpg
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    smeakim1 wrote: »
    Hey all gonna join I think this is the sign up thread. Not sure what team or if there is anything else I need to do. Let me know.

Simple - just give me your Strava "athlete url" - On the Strava website, go to your profile, and then look in the URL bar, you will see strave/athlete/and then a number. Copy and paste that.

it'll look something like....

https://www.strava.com/athletes/165533 (that's mine for example)

drop that in here, and once I've had a look at your distance stats I'll allocate you a slot in the appropriate team...

• TheBigYin
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I know Mark hates it when I name my bikes, but...

Meet Pippa. My pretty girl. Pink cages will be black and I may ditch the phone holder much...

2nbvrc9.jpg

Lovely bike - that's as nice as small bikes get (sorry, but carbon framed bikes in smaller sizes always look a little "over engineered" to me somehow, it's my age, and being brought up on spindly steel tubed creations I guess) - agree on the bottle cage swap though, but save the pink bottle-cages for next year's Giro, they'll add a bit of Italian flavour to the Graham Watson Thread ;)

(to be honest, I'd be out now searching for lots of Purple Anodised bits to swap in, just to complete the colour-coding... but again, that's my age showing - I lived through the first purple anodizing craze with Mountainbikes...)

• TheBigYin
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    Hey all gonna join I think this is the sign up thread. Not sure what team or if there is anything else I need to do. Let me know.

Simple - just give me your Strava "athlete url" - On the Strava website, go to your profile, and then look in the URL bar, you will see strave/athlete/and then a number. Copy and paste that.

it'll look something like....

https://www.strava.com/athletes/165533 (that's mine for example)

drop that in here, and once I've had a look at your distance stats I'll allocate you a slot in the appropriate team...

Here it is https://www.strava.com/athletes/2880867

excellent -welcome aboard

• TheBigYin
    Options
    right folks - we've got 6 - yep SIX places left. I've provisionally allocated the current riders to teams in a fairly balanced way I think, so that even if we don't get any more riders, we've got 2 teams of 7 and 2 of eight, but I've tried to use my judgement and prior experience of your historic riding patterns in prior challenges to balance things out even with the numeric discrepancy... Next two riders will be added into the mix to the 7-strong teams, then finally we'll add any others by chosing teams using my best mk.1 guesswork...
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    Pippa is actually a 2010 Madone 6.5. I liked the roll on my old Madone far better than the Domane or the Silque so that's what I wanted. My LBS got in touch with Trek and their rep and between them they found this gem. It has been stashed in a warehouse for years because they buyer didn't like the custom paint job and not many people ride a 50cm bike. Worked for me because they cut me a great deal on the frame.

Some cool pictures of Roxy's innards… The geek in me appreciates it. The wife in me knows I have to pay for the new bike somehow…

2s19ogk.jpg
    mt03gx.jpg
    2ivmkoz.jpg
    1zlreph.jpg
    14ae7uh.jpg
    mh4tvk.jpg
    205fg47.jpg
    29cuav9.jpg
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,461 Member
    Options
    right folks - we've got 6 - yep SIX places left. I've provisionally allocated the current riders to teams in a fairly balanced way I think, so that even if we don't get any more riders, we've got 2 teams of 7 and 2 of eight, but I've tried to use my judgement and prior experience of your historic riding patterns in prior challenges to balance things out even with the numeric discrepancy... Next two riders will be added into the mix to the 7-strong teams, then finally we'll add any others by chosing teams using my best mk.1 guesswork...

Whoo whoo, only 6 places left!

• rides4sanity
    Options

Lovely bike - that's as nice as small bikes get (sorry, but carbon framed bikes in smaller sizes always look a little "over engineered" to me somehow, it's my age, and being brought up on spindly steel tubed creations I guess...
    This is my steel bike. You like it better?
    wtdjt5.jpg
  • TheBigYin
    Options

Lovely bike - that's as nice as small bikes get (sorry, but carbon framed bikes in smaller sizes always look a little "over engineered" to me somehow, it's my age, and being brought up on spindly steel tubed creations I guess...
    This is my steel bike. You like it better?
    wtdjt5.jpg

lovely.

as I Say, I've a soft spot for old steel bikes...

11324607_bdf21cc436_b.jpgRetro Roadbike by The Big Yin, on Flickr

it's actually a fairly rare Dawes 531 custom frame, it was just refinished at the time in the Kendell Cycles Livery as that was the LBS that sponsored the team I was riding for back in something like 1984...

• mdstamand
    mdstamand Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    TBY,

I'd like to join this challenge if you've got any of those last 6 slots left. I may not get quite as many miles as last year's challenge but my work schedule has changed (as of yesterday) and I expect to get out much, much more than I have lately. This challenge will be just the kick in the *kitten* I need.

Regards,
    Mike
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    mdstamand wrote: »
    TBY,

I'd like to join this challenge if you've got any of those last 6 slots left. I may not get quite as many miles as last year's challenge but my work schedule has changed (as of yesterday) and I expect to get out much, much more than I have lately. This challenge will be just the kick in the *kitten* I need.

Regards,
    Mike

Mike - I would be delighted to have you onboard - am I right to say you're logging on strava under http://app.strava.com/athletes/154225 ?

If so, I'll drop you into one of the teams as appropriate :)

• mdstamand
    mdstamand Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    mdstamand wrote: »

Mike - I would be delighted to have you onboard - am I right to say you're logging on strava under http://app.strava.com/athletes/154225 ?

If so, I'll drop you into one of the teams as appropriate :)

Yes Sir, that's me. Thanks again.
    Mike
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    thanks for confirming Mike...

Okay folks - I put that at 5 places remaining... if all else fails now, we'll run with the teams as they are - new signups before Monday 29th lunchtime will go into the final re-shuffle, and I'll issue team numbers at that point. If there ARE still vacant places at that point, then hopefully if people see the Race Numbers popping up, it'll prompt them to ask and maybe we'll fill the final slots on a first-come-first-served basis.