2015 MFP Grand Tour Challenge - SIgnup and Discussion Thread...

Options

Replies

• steffenson
    steffenson Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    smeakim1 wrote: »
    Hey Jumbos... I can create a group in Strava that we can all join if you all want?

There is already one... https://www.strava.com/clubs/MFP-LottaJumbos
    We just need the Admin to clear out any old members from the last challenge and accept any new member requests.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hey Jumbos... I can create a group in Strava that we can all join if you all want?

there should already be one - https://www.strava.com/clubs/MFP-LottaJumbos...

there's also teams for all the others as well...

https://www.strava.com/clubs/MFP_TeamPastana

https://app.strava.com/clubs/MFP-TeamPie

https://app.strava.com/clubs/MFP-TwinkieScoff

apply to join the team you're on...

or, if you're an admin, in Team Pie, Twinkies or Lotta Jumbo's, spend 5 minutes and remove anyone who's not on your team this time, and invite the people who are new signings... Oh - and PLEASE try and ensure that at least 5-6 of the members of the team are actually ADMINS, in case of the next re-shuffle...

(I've already invited everyone for team Pastana ;) )

• CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    TBY - I remember that some time ago you had a chart/cheatsheet that gave the MFP name linked to the strava account name. Unfortunately I cannot remember where that is. If you could send me the link I will make sure and invite members of TwinkieScoff to the strava group.
  • TheBigYin
    edited July 2015
    Options
    TBY - I remember that some time ago you had a chart/cheatsheet that gave the MFP name linked to the strava account name. Unfortunately I cannot remember where that is. If you could send me the link I will make sure and invite members of TwinkieScoff to the strava group.

David, there's a new one, embedded in this challenge's spreadsheet, under the "rosta" tab...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-25uHM98B6nbxmJrIn0OSTbXYICff__L9s0zbBDR0Is/edit?usp=sharing

it's bang up to date with all the new members, transfers, and other meddling that i've been doing between the Giro and the TdF...

• phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Jakess1971 wrote: »
    phytogurl wrote: »

Happy to hear that jedicouncil will be taking my place, and that I was able to give you a heads up before we started the challenge. I'll be rooting folks on from the sidelines this go around...

Sorry to hear your not taking part and a big thanks for getting the news in quick!

Thanks Capt! I'm so glad that it worked out and that I didn't leave the team hanging.
  • lbchilds2001
    lbchilds2001 Posts: 66 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    jillyian wrote: »
    My Edge 510 seems to upload fine using my iphone ?

How do you upload your Garmin with your iPhone?
    I have a Garmin edge 510 too

I synced my Edge 510 with the Garmin Connect app that I have on my Iphone. On strava I have my Garmin Connect account linked. So, basically once my GPS syncs with my phone Garmin Connect pushes the data straight to my Strava Profile
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Jakess1971 wrote: »

Happy to hear that jedicouncil will be taking my place, and that I was able to give you a heads up before we started the challenge. I'll be rooting folks on from the sidelines this go around...

Sorry to hear your not taking part and a big thanks for getting the news in quick!

Thanks Capt! I'm so glad that it worked out and that I didn't leave the team hanging.

2nd about you not being able to ride, was looking forward to seeing the big rides that you post.

• glenncomiskey
    glenncomiskey Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Sounds good to me.
  • TheBigYin
    Options

Sounds good to me.

Glenn...

there's already a team - I posted about it on page 13...

there should already be one - https://www.strava.com/clubs/MFP-LottaJumbos...

there's also teams for all the others as well...

https://www.strava.com/clubs/MFP_TeamPastana

https://app.strava.com/clubs/MFP-TeamPie

https://app.strava.com/clubs/MFP-TwinkieScoff

apply to join the team you're on...

or, if you're an admin, in Team Pie, Twinkies or Lotta Jumbo's, spend 5 minutes and remove anyone who's not on your team this time, and invite the people who are new signings... Oh - and PLEASE try and ensure that at least 5-6 of the members of the team are actually ADMINS, in case of the next re-shuffle...

(I've already invited everyone for team Pastana ;) )

so, all you need to do Glenn, is click on https://www.strava.com/clubs/MFP-LottaJumbos and "apply" if you're not already a member, and one of the existing admins will sort it.

• TheBigYin
    Options
    ANYHOW...

we're still 1 confirmed rider short of a full team - if ANYONE can get in touch with @gardnerkennedy and give them a kick up the backside and get them to check in here and confirm they want to actually join in, please do so.

Failing that, if ANYONE wants to join, and is prepared to post in here, give their details, then i'll take them instead...

Keen Always works for me in these challenges - guess someone who can't check in within 24 hours to sign up is likely to be a nightmare for logging as well...
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,241 Member
    Options
    So in case anyone is curious, I had to make an owner and three admins for Team Lotta Jumbo so that I could bow out. I was the last admin left. If you get an admin request like someone wanting to join Team Lotta Jumbo, you can open the club page and click on the members page to see threads and requests. I couldn't really be admin for Team Lotta Jumbo and be riding for Team Pastana. Just a small conflict of interest there. :smile: So...... I'm out and four of you are admin. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    edited July 2015
    Options
    And don't forget to switch your Strava account to Kilograms and Kilometers. It makes it easier to verify distances and eliminates math errors when making the conversion. The Tour de France is run in Kilometers, not miles. Report distances in Kilometers. I know you could argue the merits of both systems, but it's run in Kilometers so just report in Kilometers. :smile: I'm an imperial guy myself. If the metric system was that much better, then why don't we switch clocks to metric. I'm not saying, I'm just saying. :laugh: Still, it's easiest to report correctly and to verify if in Strava you go to Settings - Display preferences - Units and measurements and make the switch to metric.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    So in case anyone is curious, I had to make an owner and three admins for Team Lotta Jumbo so that I could bow out. I was the last admin left. If you get an admin request like someone wanting to join Team Lotta Jumbo, you can open the club page and click on the members page to see threads and requests. I couldn't really be admin for Team Lotta Jumbo and be riding for Team Pastana. Just a small conflict of interest there. :smile: So...... I'm out and four of you are admin. :smile:

Excellent work Dean, I knew I'd done the right thing picking you as the "owner" on that team when I set it up and bowed out before the Giro ;)

Pretty much a text-book explanation of what the rest of the team owners/admins need to do...

• TheBigYin
    Options
    And don't forget to switch your Strava account to Kilograms and Kilometers. It makes it easier to verify distances and eliminates math errors when making the conversion. The Tour de France is run in Kilometers, not miles. Report distances in Kilometers. I know you could argue the merits of both systems, but it's run in Kilometers so just report in Kilometers. :smile: I'm an imperial guy myself. If the metric system was that much better, then why don't we switch clocks to metric. I'm not saying, I'm just saying. :laugh: Still, it's easiest to report correctly and to verify if in Strava you go to Settings - Display preferences - Units and measurements and make the switch to metric.

Cheers Dean, again, something I'd forgotten to mention to any of the newcomers.

However... You forgot the main reason. ;) While the TdF being a European race is measured in Km's is a really good reason to work on that measure, and of course there's rule #24 there's one really important reason why it's in Km's and Metres, not Miles and Feet.

BECAUSE I SAY SO, AND IT'S MY CHALLENGE. PERKS OF OWNERSHIP. DON'T LIKE IT, FEEL FREE TO ORGANISE YOUR OWN CHALLENGE - I may even join it if you do. But there's one thing I won't do if I join your challenge, and thats whinge and moan about your rules. Please do me the same courtesy.

• rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »

BECAUSE I SAY SO, AND IT'S MY CHALLENGE. PERKS OF OWNERSHIP. DON'T LIKE IT, FEEL FREE TO ORGANISE YOUR OWN CHALLENGE - I may even join it if you do. But there's one thing I won't do if I join your challenge, and thats whinge and moan about your rules. Please do me the same courtesy.

Just one reason we love you Mark.

• TheBigYin
    edited July 2015
    Options

aw, shucks... :blush:

(must admit, Its slightly toned down from my usual phraseology - though that could be because of the heat, and my total inability to get too worked up about things at the moment...)

l6rhfuy4btoi.gif
  • sufferlandrian
    Options

(must admit, Its slightly toned down from my usual phraseology - though that could be because of the heat, and my total inability to get too worked up about things at the moment...)

l6rhfuy4btoi.gif

Hey! I want one of those! I can put it up at the clinic and point to it when clients get pissy. :laugh:
  • TheBigYin
    Options

l6rhfuy4btoi.gif

Hey! I want one of those! I can put it up at the clinic and point to it when clients get pissy. :laugh:

I've got a spare... here, borrow this one...

91906972_5a8a906e00_o.gif
  • gardnerkennedy
    gardnerkennedy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hey all, at the 11th hour I'd like to join in on the fun. I'm slow and I don't put in a ton of miles but at least I do it consistently. I'll be a gruppetto of one. You can verify all this on Strava, if you're bored: www.strava.com/athletes/2667788

Thanks, Big Yin and Cowbellsandcoffee for inviting me in.

Brad
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options

David, there's a new one, embedded in this challenge's spreadsheet, under the "rosta" tab...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-25uHM98B6nbxmJrIn0OSTbXYICff__L9s0zbBDR0Is/edit?usp=sharing

it's bang up to date with all the new members, transfers, and other meddling that i've been doing between the Giro and the TdF...

Thank you