100% new to Low Carb

Options
As the title says, I am new to this whole thing and I am still trying to get a handle on what I can and can not have because some of the foods yall mention I would have thought to avoid, lol. This forum has taught me a lot just from reading. And even better is that I am already seeing results. In 5 days I have lost about 5 lbs, I'm down 6 total inches, and my stomach no longer presses up against my shirt leaving a faint outline. I actually had to stop and check myself in the mirror to make sure I was seeing the last one right, lol.

Thanks for the unwitting support and food ideas, from what I see the people here are nice unlike in the main forum where I see a lot of low carb ideas are frowned upon. I'm glad I found this group!

Replies

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Welcome JessikaJ and congrats on your results, wow! And yes, this is the friendliest place on MFP for sure.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    What are some foods that are mentioned that you thought you should have avoided? You may have been right, and those foods are only in very limited amounts or were changed in a way to make them acceptable.
  • JessikaJacobs87
    JessikaJacobs87 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bacon, for one. And another that stuck out was cream cheese, which I love.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Bacon is pretty much free game, unless it's actually sweet (which is rare). Cream cheese is also usually not a problem for most people. It's like 2g of carbs per ounce. You'd have to eat a lot for it to be the problem.

LOL, so yeah. We do allow a lot of foods.

I was thinking it was something like oopsie bread (which is not really a bread), or fried chicken breast (which we "bread" with crushed pork rinds instead of bread crumbs).
  • JessikaJacobs87
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I was thinking it was something like oopsie bread (which is not really a bread), or fried chicken breast (which we "bread" with crushed pork rinds instead of bread crumbs).

Oopsie Bread? Never heard of it. And breading with pork rinds? Ew, lol. I think I'll just have my chicken naked, lol. I really hate pork rinds. Can I bread with egg and flower instead?
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Can I bread with egg and flower instead?
    Preferably not the flour, but dessicated coconut or almond flour, or coconut flour. Just not the standard wheat flour. No grains no sugar is best.

• JessikaJacobs87
    Options
    No grains no sugar is best.

gotcha, what about fat intake? How much do you need? I am trying to go for Ketosis and understand the basics, but I dont really know how much fat i need to be eating. Nothing I am reading is telling me a percentage of any sort.

• GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Congrats on making a leap into healthier lifestyle. You can friend me and other folks if you like and get some food ideas. I would advise against regular flour, and there are substitutes for that. I don't like "breaded" stiuff so I don't really care for that and would smother my meat with butter lol
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    The macros that I aim for each day are around 15 grams of carbs, 123 grams fat and 70 grams protein. I'm 5' 5", 58 years old, but very active. I've been doing keto for 90 days and loving it so far. There's a calculator that you can go to keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ and that will help you find the right macros for your needs. You may need to tweak it a bit to your own tastes, but that's a great start.

My food diary is visible to anyone if you want a look there. Most things that say raw were actually cooked so don't freak. And there may be some Australian things that you don't understand, but it could hopefully give you some ideas. There's also lots of information in the Launchpad at the top of this group's page.
  • JessikaJacobs87
    Options
    Well, I havent gotten to the point of being that low in carbs, having just started out. I try an eat 100-150g of carbs and as I get better at it, slowly reducing. Yesterday I managed 76g of carbs, but my fat intake is also low, and I am not sure how to get it higher without adding unwanted carbs as well.

Also, I have been having a hard time sleeping since I started. For example, I maybe got two hours last night, but I woke up when my husband left for work and now I cant go back to sleep. The night before I slept decent and hard, but it was still only 4 hours. Is this normal? I'm reading things on Keto Flu, but I really dont think I have been doing this long enough for that to actually be the case.

Thanks for all the tips and answering questions!
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    I think that dropping carbs slowly is really sensible. To add fat, put butter on things, use full fat cheese, cream, coconut oil/cream/milk. It's surprising how quickly you'll get a taste for it. You can honestly spread butter on a slice of cheese! Eat fatty cuts of meat, chicken skin, bacon...

Yes, a few of us have difficulty sleeping to start with. I believe that a magnesium supplement a little while before bed can help, and getting sufficient salt in your diet is another. The research on salt has changed recently and it's not the bad guy anymore, so you can have plenty. There was another tip that I can't remember now - hopefully someone else will give you that.

And no worries, it's a pleasure to give back to the low carb community, as was given to me so generously when I started.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

Oopsie Bread? Never heard of it. And breading with pork rinds? Ew, lol. I think I'll just have my chicken naked, lol. I really hate pork rinds. Can I bread with egg and flower instead?

Welcome. I've used parmesan cheese as breading and it works out good. A lot of it is trial and error and just being open to trying some new things.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I try an eat 100-150g of carbs
    I'm reading things on Keto Flu, but I really dont think I have been doing this long enough for that to actually be the case.

You carbs aren't low enough for keto.
    And keto flu isn't a foregone conclusion, some people (myself included) didn't get it ---- stay well hydrated and keep your electrolytes up (specifically salt, potassium, & magnesium). The Mg should help with sleep too.

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Well, I havent gotten to the point of being that low in carbs, having just started out. I try an eat 100-150g of carbs and as I get better at it, slowly reducing. Yesterday I managed 76g of carbs, but my fat intake is also low, and I am not sure how to get it higher without adding unwanted carbs as well.

Also, I have been having a hard time sleeping since I started. For example, I maybe got two hours last night, but I woke up when my husband left for work and now I cant go back to sleep. The night before I slept decent and hard, but it was still only 4 hours. Is this normal? I'm reading things on Keto Flu, but I really dont think I have been doing this long enough for that to actually be the case.

Thanks for all the tips and answering questions!

I started just like you are. Just lowering my carb intake little by little. Quickly I got to the point of being quite low in carbs as the higher carb stuff didn't appeal to me anymore (and much of it causes bad reactions for me)

I too had trouble sleeping at first, I felt wired all the time, now that I have gone lower carb I am transitioning into keto and I'm more tired (which I'm told will pass, and I will have more energy at the end)

Go at your own pace, up your fat, and electrolytes, it will help as you go lower and lower. I get extra fat by making bulletproof coffee in the am and sometimes at night if I'm low.

You are welcome to look at my food diary over the past month, you will be able to see the gradual reduction in carbs and some of the foods that I've found work for me.

Good luck, ask as many questions as you need, I still do, its a process and a complete change from how you likely used to eat. So it will take some time.
  • JessikaJacobs87
    Options
    What are some high fat foods that I can eat that are still low in carbs? I dont really like butter, never have, and whole milk is just gross. I drink 2%. Also, I was reading somewhere that I should avoid fruit? Is that true? Because I love fruit and it would suck to give it up, although I would if I had to.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    What are some high fat foods that I can eat that are still low in carbs? I dont really like butter, never have, and whole milk is just gross. I drink 2%. Also, I was reading somewhere that I should avoid fruit? Is that true? Because I love fruit and it would suck to give it up, although I would if I had to.

Meat, meat, and more meat. Buy fatty cuts and 75/25 hamburger if you can get it.

If you skillet fry anything, do it in coconut oil, lard, or tallow.

Fruit usually needs to be avoided because of the high carb content. If you have the carb limit for it, you can eat some. It's generally best to stick with berries and stonefruit, as they tend to be lower in sugar. Avocados and coconuts are a great source of fat for minimal carb load.

Trade the 2% milk for unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk (in the case of the latter, add fat in elsewhere). Milk has too much sugar in it to consume in any reduced fat form. Or, suck it up and get used to drinking whole milk (or better yet, cream).

Check out the Launch Pad. It's got tons of resources for newbies. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad
  • JessikaJacobs87
    Options
    Thanks :) I have been reading through it, but I always find it is better to read the guide and then get personal insight, as people's experiences tend to differ greatly sometimes :)
  • JessikaJacobs87
    Options
    ok, so if i got this right, i eat up to my carbs and protein, and fill the rest of my calories with fat. So, if i wanted to make a chicken Cesar salad I could cook the chicken in a garlic butter spread and my dressing will add fats that I need to my diet?
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    ok, so if i got this right, i eat up to my carbs and protein, and fill the rest of my calories with fat. So, if i wanted to make a chicken Cesar salad I could cook the chicken in a garlic butter spread and my dressing will add fats that I need to my diet?

Absolutely! Chicken Ceaser salad is one of my favorites, I used to cut it out when I was eating low fat low cal. I'm so happy I can eat it and not feel bad about it.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Welcome JessikaJ and congrats on your results, wow! And yes, this is the friendliest place on MFP for sure.

You got that right!